mtbr member
    Sep 2010

is any one using the nuvi 550 or 500

I have been looking for a gps for a while for my truck, but last year I started mountain biking.
    and after a ten hour day in the woods that was only suppose to be a couple hour ride.
    i thought it would be nice to have a unit that will cover both driving and riding.
    what are your thoughts?

I don't recall anyone in here using one.

Even though it has a better battery than most Nuvis and even though it has a waterproof case, you'll find it's still not going to be appropriate for the bike.

It's going to be too big to mount to the bike, and the large touch screen will likely get scratched up in the pack (not to mention the likelihood of controls being set off in the pack).

I still doubt the battery, even though it's got more life than other Nuvis, will last even close to 10hrs. I think I've heard more like 5 for these (as opposed to 2 for the other models).

I think this one would be more appropriate for short walks away from the car - or using in an off-roader with a good chance of getting water inside the cabin.

I suggest getting what suits your wants for the bike, and then getting a low end Nuvi for the car. I did that awhile back and the Nuvi 205w in my car does great, aside from occasionally getting confused in dense urban areas like Austin and Houston, TX where there are HOV lanes, regular freeway, and frontage roads packed in too tightly for the GPS to tell which lane you're in. But I'm convinced any GPS would have a difficult time in that environment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the info. I am always Leary of buying stuff like that. even after reading reviews.
    I will just stick with one for the truck and maybe get a separate one for the bike.