mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Any Garmin Forerunner 205's users?

I don't have a mountain bike (yet) but I've been doing alot of research. One thing I know I'll want is a bike computer when I do get a mnt. bike. I ran across alot of threads about the Forerunner 305 so I was thinking of going ahead and picking one of the garmins up soon because i run/jog now but have some questions.

I don't need a heartrate monitor so is the 205 the best choice? As far as running, sometimes I run on a track that is oval so will the 205 still calculate distance even though it's in a circle?
    When I get a bike, can I just attach it around the handlebars, etc so I can keep it in view?

Anything else I should look at? I only really want time/distance when I run and speed/distance when I bike. The garmin seems to be overkill because it does so much other stuff but I can't find anything else.

Full of holes

One here.

Quote Originally Posted by de8212
    I was thinking of going ahead and picking one of the garmins up soon because i run/jog now but have some questions. I don't need a heartrate monitor so is the 205 the best choice?
    Like you, I don't need the HR montior, and I went with the Forerunner 205. It's my second GPS - before this I had a Foretrex 205. I'm very happy with it and it sounds like it'll do everything you want it to.

It should work fine running laps, although why you need distance accuracy is another question. You can attach it to the handebars, either with a dedicated holder or with a foam pad. Personally, I keep it on my wrist and have no problem reading it.

For your needs, you could get a cheaper model, as all GPS devices will give you speed/distance/time. I'm not sure if the cheaper models are much cheaper anymore, though.

mtbr member
    Take a look at the "forerunner vs. edge" thread for photos of Garmin's bike mount for the Forerunner series. I now have two of the mounts (one for each bike) and the only complaint I have is that the velcro quick-release wrist strap is a little too short for my liking. It works on my wrist, but anybody with larger wrists than mine will be in trouble.

As for running on the track, I'd just use a stopwatch and time your laps. You know the lap will be 400m (unless you're indoors).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the input.

The running I do is mostly around a neighborhood and sometimes I take different paths so I really want to know how far (in miles) I am going. Not interested in timing the individual laps, just overall.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's what I do too. Its nice to be able to see how far you go when you run. I got the 305 because I like to know what my heart rate is doing too. So far I've been using it on the bike and running for over a year without issues, so I'm a happy customer...