Thread: ANT+ USB dongle

mtbr member

ANT+ USB dongle

Does anyone have experience with using one and if so any recommendations? The ANT+ puter I bought for the wife doesn't come with a computer dock and figured this would "kill 2 with 1" as she wants to realtime train over the winter and dl he training sessions otherwise.

Michael

depends on the computer and how it's supposed to utilize the ANT+ protocol. some don't do wireless data transfers to a computer. my Oregon 450 does not, but it can connect to several different ANT+ sensors (speed/cad, HR, temp, geocaching beacon). So the USB dongle doesn't do anything with that GPS.

I have a Forerunner 310XT that ONLY does data transfer via ANT+. the cable that came with it is for charging only. so, it depends on the computer your wife has. What is it?

mtbr member
    Sorry for the delay...kids, bikes , and celebrations get in the way. It is a NEOS Pro from Giant with a usb dock for data transfer that is optional. The lack of literature explaining ANT+ data useage is ridiculous. I would think data transfer/sharing would be addressed in the users manual in some sort of informative manner, but it is not.

As nifty as wireless data transfer is, I kinda prefer plugging in a wire for the task. Some programs don't use the ANT+ dongle for downloads, so to get the files into those programs, I have to download to one that uses the dongle, and then manually move the file. It adds an extra step. When plugging the device in, pretty much every program supports that, though Garmin Connect doesn't like my Oregon so I have to manually upload there. To be honest, I'd rather manually put my files online than for them to automatically upload there (which is what happens with the 310XT, ANT+ dongle, and the Garmin ANT Agent software).