Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Give it a crank
    I've tried many Android gps and mapping apps, my favorites are:

Endomondo - best for live tracking and instant website updates, but that's it
    Strava - best for online features & competition but is a phone memory hog
    My Trails - best for maps, following gpx tracks, and small memory use
    BackCountry Navigator - almost as good as My Trails but getting better
    My Tracks - best beginner app and plenty useful thereafter, Google maps only

Locus is next, after meccup pointed it out, looks very complete.

I typically run both Endomondo and My Trails. On long rides, I turn off data networking on the phone and get double the battery life. That kills live tracking in Endomondo though, until data is turned back on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Forgot to say that Locus has definitively cool feature - it can download maps for offline use for particular track.

mtbr member
    I figured if you shut off data on endomondo you loose your tracking period. Good to know. I use Endomondo Pro. But the pro pretty much does nothing now since they took the site to subscription to use the pro features. UGH! I want to try my trails. I downloaded Strava but haven't used it yet.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoman03 View Post
    I figured if you shut off data on endomondo you loose your tracking period. Good to know. I use Endomondo Pro. But the pro pretty much does nothing now since they took the site to subscription to use the pro features. UGH! I want to try my trails. I downloaded Strava but haven't used it yet.
    I noticed a different look on the Web yesterday but didn't do much other than look at my stats. I have the Pro version on my phone, but from your comment I'm assuming they have limited some features on the Web now without a separate subscription, is that correct?

Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    BTW, I've received motoactv recently and managed to install Locus. For now I have superb compact navigation system on my handle bar.

mtbr member
    i use runkeeper. Just make sure you tell it you are mountain biking instead of running the first time you use it. 8)

mtbr member
    Ding ding ding! +1 for this post. Strava is the best app for my use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I've tried many Android gps and mapping apps, my favorites are:

Endomondo - best for live tracking and instant website updates, but that's it
    Strava - best for online features & competition but is a phone memory hog
    My Trails - best for maps, following gpx tracks, and small memory use
    BackCountry Navigator - almost as good as My Trails but getting better
    My Tracks - best beginner app and plenty useful thereafter, Google maps only

Locus is next, after meccup pointed it out, looks very complete.

I typically run both Endomondo and My Trails. On long rides, I turn off data networking on the phone and get double the battery life. That kills live tracking in Endomondo though, until data is turned back on.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    I noticed a different look on the Web yesterday but didn't do much other than look at my stats. I have the Pro version on my phone, but from your comment I'm assuming they have limited some features on the Web now without a separate subscription, is that correct?

Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!
    Correct it no longer shows your playlist, weather, you can't encourage other friends by sending texts to the endo app. (Can't remember the feature's name) But if you saw a friend working out you could encourage them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    There is one new cool application called Personal Eye System - PES. It is a personal tracking, navigation and data sharing applications with topographic navigation, tracking.

PES can share data, such as Point of Interests, positions, track reports etc. directly user-to-user, (using SMS or email) or dynamically over a server.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by meccup View Post
    Besides Endomondo, I use Locus app for offline navigation. It is very easy to use it, since it allows to download Open Street maps directly from your phone. Also it supports various standards for reading/recording tracks.
    Did anyone tried Sports Tracker on a bike? How this compares to Endomondo?

Give it a crank
    I've been trying out Locus, the app mentioned by meccup, for 2 weeks and it's a keeper. It's got a lot of useful features and there's plenty of info on their forum to help out.

Locus is currently my new #1 app for mapping and tracking. +rep for meccup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meccup View Post
    BTW, I've received motoactv recently and managed to install Locus. For now I have superb compact navigation system on my handle bar.
    I have a Motoactv as well, could you tell me how you installed Locus?

Thanks.
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Wanting a Cross Bike.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    For tracking my rides, I'm currently using Everytrail (free ver) but I've also tried the ff tracking apps:

- GPSed
    - mapmytracks
    - mapmyride
    - Endomondo

Would've loved Endomondo but they didn't have the camera functionality like Everytrail does. You can take pictures during your ride and it's automatically mapped at the track.

For navigation, I use MapFactor Navigator.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2