mtbr member

Android app with both Mtbike trails and real time gps

Is there an app that does it all..I have maprika because it has trails on it and mapmyride. But neither seems to do what I want.. With mapmyride it doesn't really show trails just bike routes people have used.. Then if you try and follow the trail it doesn't show anyways.. Is there a trail map program that does it all?
    Last edited by RossJamis; 09-16-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    Is there an app that does it all..I have maprika because it has trails on it and mapmyride. But neither seems to do what I want.. With mapmyride it doesn't really show trails just bike routes people have used.. Then if you try and follow one the trail doesn't show anyways.. Is there a trail map program that does it all?
    Most phone apps are focused on fitness stats recording. You might have better luck with an app that's more focused on backcountry navigation. IIRC, there are a couple. Not sure if they'll do what you want, but a Garmin with mapping capability (several models, from some of the eTrex line, to the Oregon line, to the mapping capable Edge models) will do what you want, if you can find maps with your trails on them (the bigger challenge).

mtbr member
    So I guess the trick is to record my own trails and then follow the same route.. The bouncing back and forth between apps is near impossible.. If I have to exit mapmyride to look at the map I have to start my workout all over again..
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

Android app with both Mtbike trails and real time gps

Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    So I guess the trick is to record my own trails and then follow the same route.. The bouncing back and forth between apps is near impossible.. If I have to exit mapmyride to look at the map I have to start my workout all over again..
    To some degree. You can download other people's rides from garmin connect and other sharing sites if you can find the route you want. Some sites (mapmyride being one of them) let you build courses manually to follow.

There are options.

This is one reason I prefer standalone gps receivers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    To some degree. You can download other people's rides from garmin connect and other sharing sites if you can find the route you want. Some sites (mapmyride being one of them) let you build courses manually to follow.

There are options.

This is one reason I prefer standalone gps receivers.
    Ok thanks Nate.

mtbr member
    This is a reason why I am reluctant to upgrade my iphone to android.
    I use Motion-X - GPS and that app kicks ass for easy mapping, tracking, gpx routing, etc.
    Unfortunately it's not available for android. I contacted them and they have no plans for android app... I know they eventually will, but when???

I searched for everything else on android, the best I could find is Trimble Outdoors - but they make you download maps and pay monthly fees... and it's just pain in the ass of an app to use. I hated it.

I really wanted to upgrade to HTC ONE from iphone 4s but it looks like I may go with iphone 5s instead.... just because of this one freakin app (plus iphone is much lighter and smaller so fits better in my pocket, bike bags, etc.... and the iphone camera is the best) otherwise I would go for the HTC ONE

Anyway, check out MotionX® | MotionX News » MotionX-GPS
    it's really a cool program for anything you may want to do, you may even decide to downgrade to the iphone

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    This is a reason why I am reluctant to upgrade my iphone to android.
    I use Motion-X - GPS and that app kicks ass for easy mapping, tracking, gpx routing, etc.
    Unfortunately it's not available for android. I contacted them and they have no plans for android app... I know they eventually will, but when???

I searched for everything else on android, the best I could find is Trimble Outdoors - but they make you download maps and pay monthly fees... and it's just pain in the ass of an app to use. I hated it.

I really wanted to upgrade to HTC ONE from iphone 4s but it looks like I may go with iphone 5s instead.... just because of this one freakin app (plus iphone is much lighter and smaller so fits better in my pocket, bike bags, etc.... and the iphone camera is the best) otherwise I would go for the HTC ONE

Anyway, check out MotionX® | MotionX News » MotionX-GPS
    it's really a cool program for anything you may want to do, you may even decide to downgrade to the iphone
    I'll qualify this with a big giant IMHO here, but I wouldn't exactly call an Android an 'upgrade' from iPhone... at least for me, somebody who owned both... and granted, the Android phone I had was a while ago, and there are many folks out there who would disagree with me.

... and hey, that iPhone 5s is now all 64 bit processing... first of it's kind. I wonder what doors that is gonna open up.

Now this MotionX thingy. I wonder how effective it would be in generating maps for my Garmin 705?