surly inbred

Altimiter calibration issue?

From last night's loop...

motionbased link

Started/finished at the same spot & have a 600' difference in elevation? I'm using an Etrex Vista Hcx.

Thanks

mtbr member
    MIne will do that if I don't calibrate it before every ride. Say I'm in the valley and my ride ends at 4500'. My next ride might start at 8000', but if I don't calibrate the altimeter, it starts off thinking it's still at 4500'. During the course of the ride, the gps slowly corrects itself based upon the signals it gets from the sattelites. That's the real negative of the barometric altimeter. On the plus side, it's quite a bit more accurate once calibrated and avoids the elevation spikes I would get with my old non-barometric altimeter gps. My standard procedure with it is to turn it on while I'm getting the bike of the rack, putting helmet on, etc. so that when I'm sure I have a good fix, I calibrate it to the gps altitude. Only takes about 30 seconds but is something I have to remember if I want an accurate profile.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

surly inbred
    makes sense... thank you

I haven't looked yet, but didn't I read that there is an "auto-calibrate" option?

(altimeter..I can spell, but typing is questionable)

mtbr member
    Yes, I think there is an "auto-calibrate" option...that's what mine does. The problem is that it doesn't auto-calibrate very fast, I guess to keep the altimeter from swinging all over the place it takes it's time slowly bringing the elevation in line with what the gps signals say it is.

What would be neat is if there was an option for it to "auto-calibrate" to the gps elevation say 45 seconds after getting a lock after being turned on. Basically an automatic funtion of the manual process that we already have to do.

Hopefully I'm making sense.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......