mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Aligning Edge 305 cadence sensor on FS frame

Anyone had problems with this? If I align the cadence sensor up with the pedal magnet, then there is no way I can align the wheel magnet up and the wheel magnet sensor rubs on the rubber part of the wheel. It is as though there is too much distance between the end of the cranks and the wheel.

This is on a Santa Cruz Heckler and the cranks are not short, but the normal 175mm versions.

Double-metric mtb man
    I have a Fisher Cake (similar sort of set-up...single pivot w/ assymetrical chainstays) and it was tough. Don't be afraid to really adjust the arm of the sensor and to play with where the magnet goes on the pedal.

It just fits on mine, so hopefully it will do yours too.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Fuels EX7. It wasn't easy, but the arm is adjustable. It barely able to hit both. I think Garmin should come out with a new more mountain bike type sensor that respects the short cranks and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My next question is - does it need to be aligned with both? If I want the cadence, do I need the wheel magnet to be registering as well, as this part only measures speed in the absence of a GPS signal?

If not then I can move the sensor so that only the pedal magnet registers.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by dreednya
    My next question is - does it need to be aligned with both? If I want the cadence, do I need the wheel magnet to be registering as well, as this part only measures speed in the absence of a GPS signal?

If not then I can move the sensor so that only the pedal magnet registers.
    No, it does not need to be aligned for both the cadence and wheel sensor. It will work using either or both.

I ran my 305 without the cadence/speed sensor for over 6 months once and wasn't bothered by not having the speed sensor at all. Worked just fine, overall, though it took a minute to register speed after leaving my garage.

Hope that helps you.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Flyin Pig
    My Speed Sensor arm broke off. The cadence sensor still works fine. I still get speed from the GPS. So to answer the question - as long as you are outside with GPS signal you don't need the speed sensor or magnet to get your speed.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanLasston
    My Speed Sensor arm broke off. The cadence sensor still works fine. I still get speed from the GPS. So to answer the question - as long as you are outside with GPS signal you don't need the speed sensor or magnet to get your speed.

Except for the first few minutes...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Cheers for the replies. I'll give it another go aligning up both and if I can't then i'll just align the cadence sensor part..

mtbr member
    Mine is typically ready to go in under 30s. I get dressed outside while I am waiting. Or I turn it on in the car as I approach the trail head.

If you are missing the speed sensor signal then the speed/cadence icon will be flashing on the 305, eventhough you are still getting the cadence.