mtbr member

Advise on GPS please

Hi,

I'm planning a bike trip to china for 9~15 days, and I think I will need a GPS just incase we get lost in the woods.
    Any recommendations on which I should get that can be mounted on my bike with the basic cycling functions like:
    Current Speed
    Avg Speed
    Distance
    Altitude

It would be awesome if it has back light for night riding too

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bludshroom View Post
    Hi,

I'm planning a bike trip to china for 9~15 days, and I think I will need a GPS just incase we get lost in the woods.
    Any recommendations on which I should get that can be mounted on my bike with the basic cycling functions like:
    Current Speed
    Avg Speed
    Distance
    Altitude

It would be awesome if it has back light for night riding too

Thanks
    just about all of them.

mtbr member
    Will it cost to buy maps for china mountains? And if I'm lost will it guide me on how to leave the forest?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Will it cost to buy maps for china mountains? And if I'm lost will it guide me on how to leave the forest?
    Thanks

good question on maps for China. China has strict laws on mapping and they prosecute people for "illegal mapping" over there. I have no idea what's available.

Guide you on how to leave the forest in what way? a mapping GPS will show where you have been so you can backtrack. but asking it to give you the shortest safe route back to your car (without sending you off a cliff, through a lake, or whatever) is asking a bit much. did you read the sticky on this page?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Check out Gssport Gb-580. Chinese made and can get it cheap for dx.com

It has a track back feature to bring you back to the start but it's pretty basic. Check some reviews on the net for more info.

Otherwise, Garmin 800

mtbr member
    I have read your sticky post but didn't have a clue after reading on what kind of gps I really need!

The kind that I want is: if I'm at the Airport,it would guide me on how to get to a hotel. Like the one you mentioned for car gps!

I have a tomtom gps, but it is too large and won't allot me mount on my bike, and won't show me the speeds and etc...

Please help! Thanks

I have read your sticky post but didn't have a clue after reading on what kind of gps I really need!

The kind that I want is: if I'm at the Airport,it would guide me on how to get to a hotel. Like the one you mentioned for car gps!

I have a tomtom gps, but it is too large and won't allot me mount on my bike, and won't show me the speeds and etc...

Please help! Thanks

the only thing that really does both car and outdoor navigation well would be the Garmin Montana. It's an expensive model, though, but it will speak directions if you plug it into the car dock and have the right maps installed.

Most of the other handheld models except for the cheapest etrex will give you street directions if you load the correct maps onto them, too. But they won't speak. Just beep. looking at Garmin's website, I see they have a China city navigator mapset. Garmin does not have topos for China. GPSFiledDepot doesn't really have much for China, either...just a "World Topo - Eastern" which says it's only 1:1,000,000 scale...that's very low. But it seems to be the best you'll get...I dunno.

But you need to realize that no GPS will route you the same way in the woods as it will on the streets. There are deep, fundamental differences in the way the device is used in those cases that you cannot escape. Topo maps by and large will not route you on roads or trails. Some sorta have that capability, but it's very limited. You can use the GPS to tell you where you are and how far you are from your car, but it will not be able to tell you how to get there. 1:1,000,000 scale maps aren't even going to be enough to identify cliffs and probably a lot of small rivers and lakes. You will need to use a lot of common sense about navigating. You will need reliable paper maps because the GPS maps won't be worth much.

Navigating other countries is always tough. Sometimes you have to make do. In this case, you will have to compromise somewhere.

mtbr member
    Nate, Thanks for your reply. some great information there

So do you think it would be better for me to just buy a Garmin 800/500 and also put my tomtom GPS in my backpack for special ocasions?

Thanks

Nate, Thanks for your reply. some great information there

So do you think it would be better for me to just buy a Garmin 800/500 and also put my tomtom GPS in my backpack for special ocasions?

Thanks
    In the past couple years I have traveled to two places with poor map availability. I handled each case differently depending on my needs.

First trip was to the Big Island of Hawaii. Hardly a foreign country but for some reason, Garmin's US maps are awful here, barely showing any roads. I needed primarily road navigation help so I loaded gpsfiledepot topo maps onto my Nuvi. I could not program addresses. I needed paper maps for that. The GPS was a visual reference that at least showed me my current location. I made do.

My second trip was this year to Costa Rica. I did not need the GPS for much because I paid for a taxi when I needed a ride, but I did walk around town a bit and I needed to be able to find my way back. There was no rhyme or reason to the road layout in the town I was in on the Pacific coast. I could not find any topo maps which would have been most informative to me. What I was able to find were Open Street Map (OSM) for Costa Rica. Navigable, but no addresses. I still had to use a paper map most of the time so in that case I also had to adapt. I used my Oregon 450 for that one though since I was not driving anywhere. It did the job okay.

So look at what you have now and see what sorts of maps are available for it. See if those combined with the capabilities of your tomtom will work. If not, find something that will