mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Added Security for Edge 305/705

I recently upgraded my Edge 305 to a 705. I really like the 705 and the mapping cabability but one thing I do not like about the unit is the lack of any secondary security for the unit while riding. I used to ride with a Garmin Vista GPS secured with a Garmin handlebar mount. In addition to the handlebar mount I would wrap the lanyard around the stem, just in case. On one long bumpy hill the Vista came out of the handlebar mount but just hung from the stem instead of falling from entirely from the bike.

Enter the 305/705 which rely entirely on the Garmin mount. I realize that the Edge series was designed more with roadies in mind, since they don't encounter the types of terrain that MTBers do. The Edge series has no place for attachment of a lanyard since it was not designed for that kind of use, so has anyone found some additional security for their Edge while riding? I was thinking of trying to attach something to the back of the unit that I can affix the lanyard. Anyone else got any better ideas or suggestions?

mtbr member
    I have the 705 and ride some pretty rocky area and have not had it fall off or come loose. I've also crashed a bunch with it and it stayed on the bike and I did not

trail rat
    Almost three years on my 305, 80% off road use, 1/2 on a rigid SS 29er (other half on a FS 29er). Never had it come loose once. It is tucked in pretty securely on top of the stem.

My 60CSx has gotten knocked loose on the bars, and I use the lanyard trick like you, but the 305 is solid.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    I beat the trails up with my 305. If the mount is tied down properly it won't come aloose. I have never had the edge come aloose from its mount.

trail rat
    Here is one solution in this thread, post #8.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie