mtbr member

920XT Battery Weirdness

Did a 50 miler on the MTB today and used my Garmin 920XT to track. It wasnít fully charged, but it was easily over 90%. After only 4 hours it beeps telling me battery low. I was only 36 miles in but had to shut it down to not lose all of the ride.

After stopping tracking and saving it showed 5%. But then over the next 2 hours it crept back up to 45%. Which would have been plenty to complete my ride.

Anyone seen even this before?
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I think it would have died quite quickly if you'd tried using it again.
    Give it a couple of good discharge/charge cycles.

since 4/10/2009
    Did you do a firmware update recently? Some folks have reported in the 520 thread that the most recent firmware has screwed up battery life. I haven't ridden outside in awhile, so I can't report on mine.

Also, what were the temps? Was it particularly cold?

I'd agree to give it a couple complete discharge/recharge cycles. If anything, you can use them as an experiment to see how it behaves after that 4hr point.

mtbr member
    No updates recently. It was about 30*. So same firmware and temps as it has been used in the last few weeks but totally different results Saturday. I changed some settings, like turning off vibrations, alerts and manual backlight. I'll run another test this weekend to see it it helps.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I recently had some bad battery issues since this last weekend as well with my 920xt. After completing a full charge earlier this week, my battery life is still very unsatisfactory. In less than 48 hours since 100% and only one short 30 minute GPS with GLONASS off (I always have this off) my battery is already at 36%.

I called Garmin today explaining this issue and have a exchange on the way. It was a very painless process calling Garmin, so it may be a good route for you as well.

mtbr member
    Update: my 920 has always dropped about 10% per hour. So Iíd have never made a 10 hour event.

I set the backlight to manual and vibration off. Today on a 6 hour ride and it only dropped 20%. Thatís a solid improvement. Iíll take it!

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, I don't see much need for vibrations. I can see how runners might like it so they can, say, set pacing notifications so they don't have to look at the screen to adjust. One vibration and you know you're too fast, a different one for too slow.

But on the bike? Meh. I set some basic distance audio alerts but that's all. I also never turn on the backlight. It's rarely useful. It might only be useful if I'm doing a night ride...except then I have a helmet light so it's really not necessary to use it.

Good to hear your last ride did better on battery usage. I am curious why results were so different last weekend.