mtbr member

810 alone or bundle

i have and use a 705 and my wife has a 800{ she doesnt use it much}, i have a credit that i can use for the edge 810. we have a bunch of speed sensors which we dont use, as well as multiple hrm monitors.

am i better off to get the stand alone 810 and save $200 than buying the bundle. one dumb question i have is this , are the city navigator maps the same that came with the 705 or 800 the same as what comes with the 810..

ok 2nd dumb question. when they say the bundle comes with city Navigator preloaded, do they mean preloaded on the device or pre loaded on the mini data card which can be removed

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yes get the non-bundle. Al of your hrm's and sensors will work with the new unit.

The city navigator is essentially the same (and it is on a micro sd, not on the device), but it will be probably the latest version. This means that any gas stations, hotels, etc that have opened or closed since your card was produced will be different. Also any new roads (if there even are any) will be on the latest version.

I don't know how much this stuff matters to you, but in any case it is still cheaper to buy the unit and and the latest version of city navigator than to buy the bundle. Or better yet go to Openstreet Maps and make your own for free!

Hope this helps

I agree with dynomike8. there is not much of a reason to buy Garmin's maps. There are a few minor function's Garmin's maps can handle that free maps don't have yet, but they're not enough to convince me to pay up. The sensors, IMO, would be the only reason to go bundle, but IIRC, you can get a bundle with sensors and without maps. I also would rather have topos than street maps on my cycling GPS. I do not use the device's routing, because it cannot choose a good bike route on its own (and therefore have little need for routable maps). I just want to know if the road I'm on will take me where I want to go visually, and topos can do that. They also give me an idea with the contours of how difficult one route might be vs. another option.

Plenty of free topos at GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr.

mtbr member
    thanks for the help, have another question is the 24k US Topo map better for trail riding use than using the city navigator, mostly for nor cal and lake tahoe area and limited city rides in bay area . i ride 75 % mtb and 25% on a road bike can you add the 24k topo map to the city navigator micro sd card?

Quote Originally Posted by neveo View Post
    thanks for the help, have another question is the 24k US Topo map better for trail riding use than using the city navigator, mostly for nor cal and lake tahoe area and limited city rides in bay area . i ride 75 % mtb and 25% on a road bike can you add the 24k topo map to the city navigator micro sd card?
    if you buy maps on an sd card, you cannot add more to it. you have to buy another sd card to put the other maps on and swap cards. starting with an empty sd card, you can put both topos and street maps on it (along with other stuff, too), however.