what a joke

76CSx what size micro SD card

My 76 has a 128mb microsd card that came with it. I want to add some maps, what size card can it take? 1gb 2gb or bigger? Are some better than others?
    blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    My 76 has a 128mb microsd card that came with it. I want to add some maps, what size card can it take? 1gb 2gb or bigger? Are some better than others?
    2GB is the max I'm aware of. I know that not all of them work, but some cheapies do and some don't. Sometimes it's a trial & error thing. The big ones like Kingston are pretty much universally supported. Check your manual and you'll get some details about chip types.

what a joke
    I picked up a sandisk 2gb card today but can not upload any maps to it. The error message comes up in mapsource saying your GPS does not support map transfer. Any ideas?
    blah blah blah

I hit the Garmin FAQ site for info for you. First, check this:

Question: Is there a particular manufacturer of the micro SD cards that is recommended for use with the X series GPS units?
    Answer:
    Although any brand of the microSD card should work without any problems, Garmin recommends using SanDisk or Kingston brand cards. The only exception is that the SanDisk Ultra II 1 Gb cards are currently not compatible with the X-series Garmin GPS units.
    Last modified on: 06/01/2007

then, check this:

Question: How do I format the microSD card in a "x" model gps device?
    Answer:
    First, you the device must be in "Mass Storage Mode". To do this, turn the device on, connect it to the computer via the USB cable, then press 'Menu' twice > click 'Enter' on "Setup" > click 'Enter' on "Interface", and choose "USB Mass Storage".
    Next, on the PC, go to "My Computer", and look under "Devices with Removable Storage". There should be a listing for “Removable Disk.” Make sure that the "Removable Disk" is the GPS and not another card reader or external hard drive. Then right click on the drive and choose to "Format".
    If the drive is not listed under "My Computer" then go to "Start" > "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management" > "Disk Management" and there should be a listing for a Drive in the bottom. Right click on this option and then select "Properties". In the header you should see the gps listed (ex. Map76CSx). Close this window and right click on the listing, and choose "Assign Letter or Path". Choose "Add", and then choose a letter that is not being used by the computer. Click "Ok". Go back into "My Computer", and the device should be listed under Devices with Removable Storage.
    Last modified on: 06/18/2007