mtbr member

705 Barometric Altimeter Not Working?

I've had an Edge 705 for about a year and have used it dozens and dozens of times, and I'm always frustrated by the discrepancies in elevation gained between very similar rides (as in same place, same trails, different day) and between my GPS and my dad's 305 when used on exactly the same ride. I've tried MB Gravity, but that seems to inaccurately inflate data (except on some rides, where it seems to be as expected. odd).

Anyway, today I noticed on the ride report on MotionBased that data was taken using GPS Unit elevation, and on my dad's it used GPS + Barometric Altimeter.
    I know my 705 has a Baromentric Altimeter, why isn't it using it?

Thanks in advance for the help

trail rat
    You need to enable it in your profile settings at MotionBased. It is not automatic.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    I'm in preferences in MB and can't find that option.. In the Tune-Up section I have auto-correct enabled, and MB Gravity not enabled (although I've tried it for some activities).
    Other than that I don't see anything in Units, HR, Privacy, Options, etc.
    I'd think since the device has a barometric altimeter, it'd automatically use that for the most accurate readings?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by coldawg
    I'm in preferences in MB and can't find that option.. In the Tune-Up section I have auto-correct enabled, and MB Gravity not enabled (although I've tried it for some activities).
    Other than that I don't see anything in Units, HR, Privacy, Options, etc.
    I'd think since the device has a barometric altimeter, it'd automatically use that for the most accurate readings?
    MBGravity disabled should be it. I am using Connect now online, plus TopoFusion and SportTrack that allow me to set the correction factor and the source for the data used in correction. The Connect data matches the TopoFusion and SportTracks data closely enough.

I used MB with my 305, but have not used it with my 705. I guess I should try it and see. Maybe MB does not sense the 705 correctly, or at least that it has a barometric altimeter? Have you tried Connect with your 705? It is totally free and unlimited uploading.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Yeah I've tried Connect but am not a fan because it seems much more limited than MB. Doesn't give all the details like ascent/descent grade, time, avg spd, etc. It only gives a very basic overview of the ride.

Actually I just checked my Connect page and it looks like all my recent MB rides are on there, even though I haven't signed into Connect in ages, interesting. Am I missing something? OR is the functionality much more limited than that of MB.

Thanks for all the help btw

trail rat
    Actually I just checked my Connect page and it looks like all my recent MB rides are on there, even though I haven't signed into Connect in ages, interesting. Am I missing something? OR is the functionality much more limited than that of MB.
    Here is the update on migration of MB to Connect. http://www.motionbased.com/gc/view.mb Looks like they started some transfers already, huh?

We will see if all the MB features come over on the 29th or a little later. I really use TopoFusion for mapping and SportTracks for my fitness data accumulations, so Connect is just a way for me to have rides online for others to access and download.

I just got home from a ride so I have fresh data in my 705 and I will upload to MB and Connect to see what happens with the barometric altimeter. First, I need food. Stay tuned.....
    CCCMB web - Facebook

trail rat
    Yeah I've tried Connect but am not a fan because it seems much more limited than MB. Doesn't give all the details like ascent/descent grade, time, avg spd, etc. It only gives a very basic overview of the ride.

Thanks for all the help btw
    Ok, here is yesterdays ride on Motionbased (took six tries to upload )
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/8320899

And on Connect
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/6157665

And TopoFusion stats
    17.11 mi (8.03 mi uphill, 7.24 mi downhill, 1.83 mi flat)
    2564 ft total ascent (2521 ft descent) - 7.3 % uphill grade, 9.7 % downhill grade
    2:25:51 total time (2:10:40 moving, 0:15:11 stopped)
    0:07:37 pace (7.9 mph average speed, 36.0 mph max speed)
    Makes sure to scroll to the bottom of this page on Connect to see speeds (max and average) to the elevations (ascent, decent, high and low points [I was not 25 feet underwater] only grade is missing here).

At top right, Splits will give you an overview, and the Player page can be set to display elevation, HR or speed at any point on the ride, or played back.

Except grade info, I think Connect has everything that MB does, and uploads are far faster and easier.
    CCCMB web - Facebook