mtbr member
    Nov 2009

510 on-screen mapping

I'm looking to upgrade from my trusty Edge 605 to something with more features. I recently received a 500, but it lacks some features that I'd like (it's in the classifieds section for anybody interested).

Currently, I'm set on a refurbished 705, but I just saw the 510 was released for about the same price. One feature of my 605 that I like is that it will show you where you've been... this isn't as helpful on a bike as it is on a hike. I've read a few 'first looks' etc., but haven't found anything concrete about mapping. I'm not interested in turn-by-turn directions, just a map of where I've been. Anybody here know if the 510 does that?

Thanks!

@trailgrinder
    go hit up dcrainmaker.com all your answers you could ever need and a very thorough write up. Yes there is mapping on the 510 minus the map part. It will show where you have been on the screen without the map. You will have to wait until you upload to see that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ah - thanks for the info! Not sure how I missed that review... with the mapping being quite limited on the 510, it looks like the 705 is the way to go.

@trailgrinder
    yeah too bad the mapping isnt on the 510, i would really lean towards that package.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2rideUtah View Post
    yeah too bad the mapping isnt on the 510, i would really lean towards that package.
    It is kind of a bummer... otherwise, it looks like a cool little unit.

As a side note, does anybody have experience ordering from here?

Garmin GPS Systems, Nuvi GPS, & GPS Maps

It gets mixed reviews, but has the best price on the 705 ($329). I just wonder if it's one of those "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" type of deals.

@trailgrinder
    And it doesn't have the modern Bluetooth 4.0. Missed the boat on that