Team Chilidog!

Upset 305 turning off when it feels like it

I've had my Garmin since last year, and I love it, but lately, it's been turning off or stopping when it feels like it.

Is this a common problem? Dump it? Suggestions? Thanks.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Silence! I kill you!
    I wonder if the internal battery is dying. Did you check in with Garmin about it?

I just picked one up last month, hope it doesn't happen to me.
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

mtbr member

We the people ...

It does sound like a battery problem. Try resetting it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    seems to be a common problem. i started a thread titled "spontaneous shutoff..." you can search for.

mx

trail rat
    There have been reports, but it is not that common here or motionbased forums. Garmin is great about replacements, even past warranty. There was probably a production run with solder contacts that loosen. Mine is about two years old and running strong 4-6 days a week.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Stripes,

Make sure you are running the latest firmware. This used to be a common problem and my unit suffered from it; typically, my 305 would lock up if I didn't erase the history periodically. I suspect it got confused once it filled all of its available storage space and would have to start deleting the oldest tracks. Some of the recent firmware updates must have at least partially addressed the issue, and mine has not had this problem any more.

If the firmware update does not take care of the problems, by all means get in touch with Garmin, they have provided stellar customer service to me replacing both the heart rate monitor and cadence sensor free of charge and no question asked.

I'm a "she".
    Hi stripes, I have the same problem as you do. If you choose to call Garmin, can you let us know what your experience is? When my mode button stopped working, I called them. The guy at customer service sounded nice and asked me to send him an email with some info so he can arrange a repair (not sure if it would have been free or not). But I never heard back from after I sent my email, and I found a way around the problem, so I didn't bother following up. Would like to hear others' experience.
    Inch by inch, I will get there! (See my rides and stuff here.)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Stripes, I had this issue with my Edge 305 when going DH rough terrain, and Garmin warrantied it:

305 garmin: spontaneous shut-off :(

Mine was within the warranty period, but Garmin did not ask me when I bought my 305 so they may not care if yours is 6 months old or 18 months old. They sent me a new/refurb one, and it is working great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    my 305 shut off twice on one ride and messed things up.

i have had the until for a couple years now...but this is bs. i am in the middle of training and do not want to be without the unit for however long it takes them even if they do decide to replace it.

tried calling them today and couldn't get through. tried calling them the other day and it was too long of a wait.

do they have a loaner program? why should i be out of a training unit? their product is faulty as evidenced by many people here.

so have you guys been able to get FREE replacements even after a couple years? how about loaners to use while they are fixed?

mx

mtbr member
    A couple of years sounds a lot time a battery issue. If you have a cigarette lighter power thingy try turning the garmin on in your car while plugged in (drive around) and see if it still shuts down at will.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i don't have a cigarette thing.

but it still holds a charge. it tends to happen over rough ground...but i am not even sure if i established this 100%. sometimes i think it just goes off

mx

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    but it still holds a charge. it tends to happen over rough ground...but i am not even sure if i established this 100%. sometimes i think it just goes off
    CONTACT GARMIN. they've been good with fixing it. as far as having a loaner (saw this on your other post about 305-shutoff) they dont provide that. either way, sounds like your 305 isn't going to work through the season so you might as well contact garmin and see what your options are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yeah, i know i need to contact them. so far this has proved difficult. will try again. just wanted to get a heads up on the situation.

i wonder if i can buy one from somewhere and then return it when my unit is repaired?

mx

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i bought a 305 i am loving it, i hope i dont have any probl. with it

GeoMan
    Yeah, I know I need to contact them. So far this has proved difficult. Will try again. Just wanted to get a heads up on the situation.

I wonder if i can buy one from somewhere and then return it when my unit is repaired?

mx
    UPDATE

mx made contact with Garmin Tech Support and they are replacing his unit. It was worth waiting on hold for a few minutes.

BTW, we hate seeing someone training so hard without their Edge... so we sent mx_599 an Edge 305 to use during the time his is being replaced by Garmin.

So far we're all doing good.

Please let us know the outcome with Garmin!

Thanks!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    UPDATE

mx made contact with Garmin Tech Support and they are replacing his unit. It was worth waiting on hold for a few minutes.

BTW, we hate seeing someone training so hard without their Edge... so we sent mx_599 an Edge 305 to use during the time his is being replaced by Garmin.

Thanks!
    Could you PM me? I left you several messages a few weeks ago on your voice mail and never received a call back. Thanks.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    UPDATE

Thanks!
    Absolutely outstanding service Jay. You are amazing!

Now I'd like to see the poster give some positive feedback and not just negative.

One of my pet peeves with users of MTBR and the interweb in general is that problems get aired ad nauseum, and excellent service just gets skipped, since they are happy and riding.

Ok, rant off.

Congrats mx_599, you are lucky that geoman trumps most of the world with his outstanding service!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    geoman has provided outstanding customer service and graciousness.

actually, i wouldn't even consider it customer service--as he went far beyond that.

garmin told me they were having phone and computer difficulties the days i was trying i guess

also, even though the phone said 30 min wait, they did come on sooner than 30 minutes.

i look forward to giving geoman my patronage in the future. those lupine lights are nice!!! (be awhile before i can get 'em, but now i know where to get them) i thought gretna was the only importer or something?? now i know...

mx

GeoMan
    geoman has provided outstanding customer service and graciousness.

actually, i wouldn't even consider it customer service--as he went far beyond that.

garmin told me they were having phone and computer difficulties the days i was trying i guess

also, even though the phone said 30 min wait, they did come on sooner than 30 minutes.

i look forward to giving geoman my patronage in the future. those lupine lights are nice!!! (be awhile before i can get 'em, but now i know where to get them) i thought gretna was the only importer or something?? now i know...

mx

Thank you!

Customer service is nothing more than doing "the right thing" whenever you can, IMHO.

Frankly, after a year and a half, there's not that much we can do regarding a warranty or service issue but we'll try nonetheless. Sending a temporary replacement seemed like a small gesture to help mx during his "time of need".

We're thankful for our customers and we especially love the biking community because... we ride too!

Thanks again and again,
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've been having the same problem with the unit randomly shutting off. I'll call them Monday morning,