mtbr member

305 Forerunner Versus Edge

Costco has the Forerunner 305 on sale for $180 which is pretty attractive and it comes from Costco so if something goes wrong you are covered. Its probably something I dont need but wanted opinion on the Forerunner versus the Edge.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...US&Sp=C&topnav=

mtbr member
    May 2005
    edge pros over FR:
    has barometric pressure, which is more accurate (so everyone says, i have never personally compared)
    larger display

FR pros over edge:
    wrist mount is handy for runners, kayakers, etc (edge will work in a backpack or pockets)
    can mount on handlebars with separate accessory

in the end, it depends on what activity (or activities) you will use it for. if you want to use it a lot for many activities, the FR will be the way to go since you will have access to it on the wrist. me, i chose the edge since i personally would have hated wearing the large (and it is LARGE) watch on my wrist, plus i use it primarily for biking and only sparingly for running, snowboarding and other activities.

mtbr member
    I agree with bstyle74 on the pros and cons, but I chose the Forerunner specifically for the wrist strap. I'd much rather wear a large watch than have to carry the edge in a pocket, pouch, or my hand. Of course, I run as much as I bike, so it all comes down to what your main usage for the unit will be. I picked up the accessory bike mount kit, and the only complaint I have is that the wrist strap could be a little longer.

Forerunner on handlebar mount:

Forerunner on wrist, compared to standard Ironman 30 lap wristwatch:

I'm a "she".
    This is almost a cross post. I posted this in another thread, but then realize it might be more appropriate here:

=====
    I've owned a Garmin Edge 305 for two years. I've been happy with it for the most part. Unfortunately, mountain biking is a bit too rough for GPS units. At one point, the GPS flew off of my handle bar when I had a crash, and the Mode button stopped working. I've lived with that because I can still record and download data. If I really needed to, I could peel over the soft plastic cover and poke a toothpick inside to press the Mode button. But recently, I noticed that my GPS turns itself off whenever the riding gets rough. Basically, things have been rattled loose inside. Now that my GPS has become somewhat unpredictable, I have been thinking about acquiring another one. But I think I'll get one that I can wear on my wrist on my mountain bike rides even if it's a bit too big. I have Forerunner 305 in mind right now, but I'll keep looking.
    ====

Just saw the pictures of Forerunner in this thread. It seems to work quite well on wrist or on handle bar. $180 sounds like a very good price. I should look into it.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

mtbr member
    Can you download gps trails posted by other users to the Forerunner however? Basically the only reason I want one when biking is so I can find a trail head and stay on the trail.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    Can you download gps trails posted by other users to the Forerunner however? Basically the only reason I want one when biking is so I can find a trail head and stay on the trail.
    There is hardly a SLO trail I have not ridden and can send you gpx or crs files, or just waypoints to trail heads of you prefer.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Slocaus...thanks that would be awesome. The question though is can a Forerunner 305 download files? Can you use it to follow someones route?I am new to all this GPS stuff...and love the idea of say going someplace new and having a guilde to get to the trailhead...and tell you if you made a wrong turn.

What GPS unit do you have??

BTW great pic on your profile...what year is that from??

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    Slocaus...thanks that would be awesome. The question though is can a Forerunner 305 download files? Can you use it to follow someones route?I am new to all this GPS stuff...and love the idea of say going someplace new and having a guilde to get to the trailhead...and tell you if you made a wrong turn.

What GPS unit do you have??

BTW great pic on your profile...what year is that from??
    Yes, it will download from the unit to your computer, and you can transfer it then.
    Yes, you can upload someone else's tracks, courses, routes, waypoints and follow them.

Edge 305 and 60CSx.

I'm not sure about the picture. Maybe two years back? It is a capture from Chris' wx.sloweather.com cam that was pointed across town. It is aimed south now from that hilltop above the cemetery. Here is one more.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Damn we live in a nice place Slocaus. So what is your favorite place to ride in SLO county.

For me it is hands down Montano de Oro..up hazard peak...and then back to Eastern Boundary.

Thanks for info on FR 305 Slocaus. I am gonna try to figure it out today.