Thread: yukon

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

yukon

i was wandering how the yukons fair through all mountain trails and some freeride?

Accident prone (owie)
    I am a complete newbie to mountain biking so take what I say with a grain of salt, but so far my Yukon FX has done well. We hit the trails 3 to 4 times per week, usually some singletracks where we climb our way out and then bomb it on the way back in. Some 20 degree climbs, dropping off of foot tall rocks and root stacks and 2 foot tall log obstacles, etc.

I've also hit some fast jeep trails and some pretty gnarly downhill singletracks. So far it's all gone fairly smoothly.

My only real complaints are that the derailleurs need weekly care as it doesn't take much to knock them out of whack (and even when they're working properly they are still kind of squishy, but that's what we get with a $750 FS bike), and at 140 pounds I cannot get the front shock to behave the way I want it to (the preload dampening just doesn't work very well, and the rebound is hard to keep adjusted correctly), but I'm still out there, keeping up with all my friends that have much more expensive bikes.

For example, earlier this week 5 of us did the Incline Flume to Chinese Downhill (Incline Village (Lake Tahoe), NV, USA). The other guys had bikes like the Trance 3 and Santa Cruz Blur. We left the intersection of the two trails in a single file line. I was second in line and riding at the absolute limit of my current ability and finished the trail right on the tail of the leader (who has over 20 years of experience on an MTB). The #3 rider came in over 40 seconds behind me and he hadn't crashed. I have no idea how much of that is the rider and how much of that is the bike but it shows that the Yukon is capable of getting things done.

If you are a connoisseur of components then you will likely hate this bike but for an entry level ride I feel it's a lot of bang for the buck.