I like Chips

Yeti575 vs Giant reign

575 vs Giant reign
    I am torn between these 2 bikes, I am getting out of the xc thing and want to have a more fun going down hill with the occasional trip to resorts. I like techy rocky trails. There is alot of climbing in my neck of the woods so climbing efficiency is also very important to me. Any thoughts?? posting on both forums. Thanks!
    I like Chips

mtbr member
    I have never ridden a 575, so can't help you there.

I have an '08 Reign 1 (not X), and it is an EXCELLENT climber. It just crawls up steep, technical, rocky terrain.

On my first few rides, I was more impressed going uphill than down. I was cleaning stuff I had major problems on with my LTS. Don't worry, it does rip downhill, though.

My complaints are the shock seems to wallow in the middle of the travel, and I do get pedal strikes in the rocks when climbing. A PUSH mod would probably help. This bike really needs a 20 mm front axle, the 09's do, I think.

The Reign is great for somebody who has only one bike, that must earn their downhills, and rides in rough enough terrain to justify 6" of suspension. That's me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by astroman36
    575 vs Giant reign
    I am torn between these 2 bikes, I am getting out of the xc thing and want to have a more fun going down hill with the occasional trip to resorts. I like techy rocky trails. There is alot of climbing in my neck of the woods so climbing efficiency is also very important to me. Any thoughts?? posting on both forums. Thanks!
    This is where I was last summer. I have a '06 575 with 2 warranty claims on front triangles. I have NOT ridden then new and improved versions though.

I like a higher bb and the new version has lowered the bb versus the the older one. I should be stiffer with the cross member on the seat stays.

The 575 got me to be a faster rider. I did not like the 22t climbing, which I do occasinally on techy uphills.

I think the Reign is better in everyway except for weight. I can ride a one hour ride at the same pace. It does not feel like I am going as fast, but in the end it is the same time. I can carry more speed and pedal more through rocky sections with the Reign. I also can mash standing uphill better. I am also more refreshed with a slightly lower heart rate (avg).

I have had numerous times of trading bikes on the trail cause I loaned it out frequently this past summer (575). The 575 feels far less plush, and more stretched out. It feels like a race bike compared. The Maestro is a the real deal, it floats up rough climbs. I did put a 36 RC2 Float on it and it is even better now. Now all I need to do is correct the mid stroke on the RP2.

Giant offers demo programs to take their bikes out.

Rob

mtbr member
    Rode a mates 575 for a couple of hours and have to say I was hugely impressed. But, I bought an 09 Reign.... which says it all really! Plus the Mods I have done have cured the issue of blowing through the travel. Coil VanR shocker unit (pushed) and a Lyrik up front- The 09's come with the Fox 15mm bolt through, but I wanted slacker angles and a bit more travel.