Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Yes! Got my Reign! (weight posted inside)

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  frango 
#1 · (Edited)
Since I was buying a Reign ! as an employee purchase, the last I had heard from Giant was that my Reign wouldn't arrive until January. But here it is! I am stoked to ride this bike! Anyway, for those of you interested in weight, my Reign 1 weighs 29.87 lbs w/o pedals, saddle, and seatpost (forgot the seatpost and saddle at the shop!) Weight should be accurate since I used the digital scale on my Topeak Prepstand, not just a bathroom scale. So it will probably come in at around 31 lbs total. I am going to be making some immediate modifications. I'm gonna sell the XT shifters and rear derailleur in favor of SRAM x-9. I'm gonna sell the Hayes HFX 9 Carbon brakes in favor of Shimano XT. And just to save some cash, since I already have a nice XT/ Mavic XM819 wheelset, I will be selling off the Crossmax XL wheelset (these are cool, and they are QR and thru-axle compatible! Anybody want any of these, make me an offer.

Edit: BTW, the bike is a size large (20 inch)

#2 ·
Jwiffle said:
Since I was buying a Reign ! as an employee purchase, the last I had heard from Giant was that my Reign wouldn't arrive until January. But here it is! I am stoked to ride this bike! Anyway, for those of you interested in weight, my Reign 1 weighs 29.87 lbs w/o pedals, saddle, and seatpost (forgot the seatpost and saddle at the shop!) Weight should be accurate since I used the digital scale on my Topeak Prepstand, not just a bathroom scale. So it will probably come in at around 31 lbs total. I am going to be making some immediate modifications. I'm gonna sell the XT shifters and rear derailleur in favor of SRAM x-9. I'm gonna sell the Hayes HFX 9 Carbon brakes in favor of Shimano XT. And just to save some cash, since I already have a nice XT/ Mavic XM819 wheelset, I will be selling off the Crossmax XL wheelset (these are cool, and they are QR and thru-axle compatible! Anybody want any of these, make me an offer.
Awesome, but yikes that's one heavy mother. Takes some pics for us PLEAse

#7 · (Edited)
weight update

for those of you interested in the weight, with the seat and post it weighs 31.18 lbs, with my pedals on it will be 31.8 lbs. yeah, not as light as maybe we were hoping, but it IS a 6 inch travel bike, front and rear. There are some areas that weight could easily be shed from, though, so you could always switch out some parts. It's about 3 lbs lighter than my Warp, and certain to pedal much better, so I will probably not find the weight an issue at all.

I'll post the weight of the bike after I've switched out the parts I want, but it probably won't get any lighter.

#8 ·
Jwiffle said:
for those of you interested in the weight, with the seat and post it weighs 31.18 lbs, with my pedals on it will be 31.8 lbs. yeah, not as light as maybe we were hoping, but it IS a 6 inch travel bike, front and rear. There are some areas that weight could easily be shed from, though, so you could always switch out some parts. It's about 3 lbs lighter than my Warp, and certain to pedal much better, so I will probably not find the weight an issue at all.

I'll post the weight of the bike after I've switched out the parts I want, but it probably won't get any lighter.
It kinda sucks how the frame weighs so much, I might take a look at the Iron horse mKiii if it's any lighter.

#9 ·
I just went out on a ride with my friend who got his reign (i am a giant dealer).

Relatively easy ways to drop the weight on the reign;

Sell the Race Face cranks and buy the 05 shimano XT. Save about 100g.

Sell the WTB saddle and pick up a Selle Italia Flight TT, save about 120g

Run Legeater pedals.

Lighter disc brakes like XTR. The disc brakes that come on the reign appear to be hayes mag+, but upon closer inspection you see that they are not even the mag levers and the only aspects of the brakes that are like the mag+ are the wavy rotors and the carbon evers, otherwise they are not really the mag+, they just look like it.

Lighter seatpost like a thompson. The race face carbon post is pretty trick, but carbon doesn't really save any weight here. Save about 50g.

Use an XT rear cassette. The 970 cassette that comes stock weighs about 320g, I weighed my new M760-series cassette 11-32 at the shop yesterday and it was 264g. So about 55g weight saved here.

I'm also sure the 2.3 tires are not that light, the wheels felt fairly heavy despite the weight on those mavics being pretty darn light for the wheelset.

So you can save about a pound here ignoring any savings you get with the tires and not including any weight saved by different brakes. That's not too bad and it puts the weight in line with other similer bikes. Usually when someone claims their trail bike is less than 30lbs they are way off, because it's hard to get a 7-8lb framed bike that is going have a wheelset that weighs at least 1700-1800g to weigh less than 30lbs. I've done it with my FXR and gotten it down to around 29lbs, that's with a lighter shock than the curnutt, mavic 519 rims, eggbeaters, a 4.9lb fork, the 05 xt cranks, a 175g saddle, etc. In other words lots of $$$ and some sacrifices to get it down that much. The reign is not particularly heavy for what it is, it's a 6" bike with a nearly-6" fork. It's simply not that easy to get these bikes down to some insanely low weight, without putting on super-expensive products like the maveric DUC32 and triple Ti eggbeaters.

Riding the bike today, the suspension felt pretty good. The manitou fork has dropouts that are cast wrong and has to be sent back for that and the IT not extending. This ruined the ride today but hopefully paul gets a better fork and can really tell whether he likes it or not. The geometry is pretty far off claimed too, 17.75" chainstay, 45.75" wheelbase (no, these are not typos).

#14 ·
Weight Update

I just now got my Nixon back from Manitou, seems to be working ok now, but will have to really see on a trail ride. I now have the bike set up how I want it. For those who want to know, it now weighs 32.04 lbs, but weight can be shed easily if desired.

Non-stock items on the bike:
XT hydro disc brakes
Mavic XM 819 UST disc rims
XT hubs, centerlock
SRAM x-9 rear derailleur
SRAM x-9 trigger shifters
Blackspire "The Grind" Bashguard (1/2 inch thick metal bashguard!) (yeah, a lot of weight could be shed here, but it's a nice piece to have, especially for the occasional urban ride)

#15 ·
Beefy

That's cool.I have mine set up a couple of pounds lighter but we'll see how it stands up. I don't have a lot of faith in the crossmax wheels yet so they will have to prove themselves. You could lose the bulldogs and lose some weight easily.Im going to order a fsa bashguard tomorrow and lose my big ring.It is 90 gm. very light but may bend we'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.