mtbr member
    May 2007

XTC sizing advice

I'm pretty set on getting the XTC composite 1, but would like some sizing advice.
    I'm 5'9", long in the body, short in the legs & weigh 220lb. Normally I would be medium, but as the Giant has such a short wheelbase, I wonder whether the large with shorter 70-80mm stem would be better (looks like a 100mm stock. Am I right?). I have sort of demoed it (the medium), but the only test area was a fire road, which is poor really. I'm not used to the racy position & felt a bit too over the front wheel on a medium, even though the Giant test guy insisted that medium was my size. I ride all sorts, from very tight twisty forest singletrack to long XC treks.
    What do you think? The medium just seems too short & twitchy, but I don't want a barge either.

Ed
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm 5-9 and test rode the medium. The front end felt tall compared to my current ride, but otherwise it fit perfect (reach) right out of the box.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have the medium and it fits me better than any bike I have ever owned. I am also 5-9" w/30" inseam.
    Yes, the stem on the medium is a 100mm.
    The only thing I did was swap out my stem with a +-5 Loaded Precision (same length, lower angle) from the original one...and have a RXL low rize carbon bar on it instead of the stock flat bar.
    Perfect fit, for me anyway...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I had a similar problem with sizing. I ended up with an XTC 2 size medium. I'm just shy of 5' 10" with a 31 inch inseam, 210 lbs. I was having a heck of a time on the Scott's, Fuji, Trek and Specialized bikes. The standover height was almost too high for me.
    To me the Medium Giant was the best fitting of all the bikes I tried.