mtbr member
    Apr 2004

XTC NRS Rear shock setup

My friend recently purchased a Giant XTC NRS an is very happy with it. However his bike came with Giants own ‘NRS’ rear shock and while the Giant website carries instructions for setting up both the fox shox and the rock shox model, I have been unable to find any info in setting up the shock that he has in terms of recommended air pressure for his weight and correct rebound damping. (he weighs around 220 pounds)

I would appreciate any advice you could offer!

Kris

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

NRS Rear shock setup

Basic rule is to start with your weight for the positive air chamber on both shocks. Always only 50lbs in the negative chamber on the RockShok.

You can tweak it more or less to make it more plush or stiffer. Basically set it to whatever you want as long as the suspension does not sag when you sit on the bike.

I just upgraded to the 2004 NRS1 with the Fox Shock, which is a very nice ride. But I highly recommend turning down the AVA chamber to make it smaller. I've got it set to about 30% of full volume.

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

NRS Fox shock setup

Quote Originally Posted by Guad
    Basic rule is to start with your weight for the positive air chamber on both shocks. Always only 50lbs in the negative chamber on the RockShok.

You can tweak it more or less to make it more plush or stiffer. Basically set it to whatever you want as long as the suspension does not sag when you sit on the bike.

I just upgraded to the 2004 NRS1 with the Fox Shock, which is a very nice ride. But I highly recommend turning down the AVA chamber to make it smaller. I've got it set to about 30% of full volume.

G
    Hey, I just got an NRS 1 and I can't figure this rear shock thing out. You said you set it at 30%, what number is that. Mine is set at 3, but was at I think 1, or screwed out all the way. How do you make this thing stiffer. I weigh 180 and have been setting the air presure at that like it says. Should I put more air in there? When I changed it to 3, it seems to go down more. Thanks in advance for your help!!

mtbr member

rear setting

Quote Originally Posted by Guad

G

So since I weight a light 250, I should set it at 250 or higher?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sajko
    NRS systems rear shock should be set at + or - 15psi of the riders weight but not to exceed 300psi in the positive chamber and what was said about the neg. chamber above is right, always at 50psi.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I think the SID has a max pressure somewhere around 250. You may be pushing it to the limit...
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Here's the link to the 2003 SID manual. I don't know if that's the shock you have:
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rocks...sManual_en.pdf
    Big hoopy.

mtbr member

"weight"...

Quote Originally Posted by sajko
    Thanks everyone. Any other tips regarding "rider weight" appreciated. I'll be back down to my slim muscular 225 after I recover from a few injuries... ;-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    I think the SID has a max pressure somewhere around 250. You may be pushing it to the limit...
    SID has a max of 300psi

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    The comment was "shock pressure", not "rider weight" Just don't want to have that thing explode on you!

Happy trails and enjoy the ride...
    Big hoopy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If you want to know more about the Giant NRS shock (which AFAIK is on every 2004+ NRS in the world except for the US) go here: http://www.oliverhensche.de/thread.php?threadid=29&sid=

Okay it's in german but basically it's a shock without a negative air chamber.
    Setup doesn't come much easier than this: Just increase pressure untill there's no bobbing while pedalling on a flat surface.

If you're a fat bastard like me you need to put the shock in the front mounting position which decreases rear wheel travel to 75mm (3") but requires less pressure.
    Last edited by LegPower; 10-18-2004 at 01:06 AM.

mtbr member

specs...

My Giant (bought in Canada) has Fox Racing Shox Float R AVA. Fork is a Manitou Skareb Super SPV (which is confusing ie Super and SPV) (seems to be a mid year change in the fork?)
    Last edited by sajko; 10-18-2004 at 12:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Negative over 50 psi...

I have a RockShox SID rear shock and set my negative pressure over 50 psi, more like 100-125. Even though Giant recommends 50 no matter what, I find it makes the bike more responsive to smaller bumps. For racers it might not be the optimal setup, but for longer rides, it makes it more comfortable. The bike is still setup with 0 sag, positive set at 10# over my riding weight, so it still climbs good. According to the RockShox manual, you can set the negative air up to equal that of the positive air, but not over. The more negative, the more sensitive to small bumps. Try it for yourself, you will be amazed at the difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mag20
    I have a RockShox SID rear shock and set my negative pressure over 50 psi, more like 100-125. Even though Giant recommends 50 no matter what, I find it makes the bike more responsive to smaller bumps. For racers it might not be the optimal setup, but for longer rides, it makes it more comfortable. The bike is still setup with 0 sag, positive set at 10# over my riding weight, so it still climbs good. According to the RockShox manual, you can set the negative air up to equal that of the positive air, but not over. The more negative, the more sensitive to small bumps. Try it for yourself, you will be amazed at the difference.
    I can't my Fox Float R AVA only has one valve for the positive chamber.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If i remeber correctly, only the SID has positive and negative pressures. The "Giant" brand shock only has positive, the negative is preset. I'm not sure you can adjust the "sensitivity" of the FOX shock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A Midwesterner in Europe
    Sep 2004

I Agree With "Mag20"

I had a SID shock on my NRS and I set my shock no where near the "recommended settings". It rode like butt that way. If you're a racer just stick to the rider weight plus ten in the positive and 50 in the neg.

Best advice is to experiment. I weigh about 180 lbs. and I had mine at about 160 positive and 150 neg. and it rode like a dream.

With Giants "way" that little rubber ring thingy moved about 3/8 inch. My way it damned near went right to the bottom.

Why have a full betty if you aren't gonna use it?

EXPERIMENT!!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I do have a Cloud 9 on now which also has one valve to pump it up with. I run it about 5-10psi less than my rding weight with gear. That may be a good place to start. I don't have any experience with the Fox. Definitely try to tune it the way you like riding. If the Fox'll take 250 then start there and tweak it so you use most of the travel when you ride. I don't know if you have compression damping but you may want to use that to reduce the used travel and then decrease the pressure some to give a "plusher" ride. Bring your pump out on the trail with you and tweak it some!
    Big hoopy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Should have done it sooner...

I rode my 2002 NRS1 for 2 years with the negative set at 50 psi like Giant recommends. It was only after riding other people's plush dual suspension bikes (Superlight, Sugar, Fuel) that I realized mine rode like a brick. Yeah, I know...if I wanted plush, I should have bought something else. But I got a good deal on the frame ($400 brand new) and I had been riding a hardtail for 10 years...so it did feel pretty plush compared to that. I was ready to buy an 04 Stumpjumper FSR frame until I saw a post from another member saying to pump up the negative to over 100 psi. I'll be riding my NRS that way from now on, or at least until I save up to buy a Trance frame!