mtbr member
    Jan 2004

xtc frame vs ranier frame

hey do any of your guys know the difference between the xtc frame and the ranier frame? their supposed to have the same geometry but i'm not sure what else is different. Do any of you guys know the weight of any of these frames? I'm trying to build up a hardtail but i want to buy a frame that is light, strong, but still cost effective and something i can use for racing, any suggestions?

Thanks for your help guys!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Mr, VT,

Don't know about comparing the two frames because I'd never owned a Ranier frame. But if you decide to get the XTC frame, I have a 2003 XTC1 frame that is almost like brand new. I rode the bike twice and then end up buying a carbon fiber frame and transfered most of the component to the new frame. The size is 19" (medium) and it's blue. Let me know and good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeler
    Mr, VT,

Don't know about comparing the two frames because I'd never owned a Ranier frame. But if you decide to get the XTC frame, I have a 2003 XTC1 frame that is almost like brand new. I rode the bike twice and then end up buying a carbon fiber frame and transfered most of the component to the new frame. The size is 19" (medium) and it's blue. Let me know and good luck.
    thanks for the offer but i'm only 5"8 so i'd need something smaller than 19" frame.
    so anybody have any comments about the ranier and xtc?
    Thanks!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ... YES!! I do!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. VT
    thanks for the offer but i'm only 5"8 so i'd need something smaller than 19" frame.
    Thanks!
    Well I used a giant yukon(same frame as the rainer but now different geometry to mine) and I now ride a 2004 XTC2. The weight of my 19" frame is around 1.5kg and i beleive the rainer frame is maybe a good pound more but not sure.
    The rainer probably won't give as much as a stiff ride so less effiency but more comfort.
    I was also told that because of the more expensive metal they use on the XTC it actually not only allows it to be lighter(less material needed) but also stronger!!
    Jeff lenosky AND the whole giant/pearl izumi 4x team uses the giant XTC frame, which proves that it is plenty strong to be advertising that like they do.
    If you have the choice then go the xtc, the rainer is made a budget bike that gets you a bike with the XTC gemoetry but uses a different cheaper metal(weaker and heavier).
    Hope that helps.
    Sounds like you will need a 17"

nab
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Take note though, Giant's frame size is one of the smallest in the industry. A 17" is like a 15". I'm 5'8 and i use a 17" XTC but i like small frames. Best is to go to a bike shop and try both sizes. You might like it bigger, to each his own.

Go with the XTC. Lighter, stronger, prettier, cost-effective. Weight of 17" is about 1450gm

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nab
    Take note though, Giant's frame size is one of the smallest in the industry. A 17" is like a 15". I'm 5'8 and i use a 17" XTC but i like small frames. Best is to go to a bike shop and try both sizes. You might like it bigger, to each his own.

Go with the XTC. Lighter, stronger, prettier, cost-effective. Weight of 17" is about 1450gm
    the new XTC 1 has a carbon rear triangle too!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks!

For what it's worth, I am 5'9" and I think theres plenty of room for me. Giant frame are small. I use 17" on like Trek or Yeti. Ask your dealer to make sure, you may get away with 19 with a shorter stem like 100mm or shorter. Otherwise, I can sell you the frame with Titec seatpost, stem and handlebar for $250.00. or just the frame for $200.00. They are all new.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the offer but I personally like smaller frames as well and i think that the 17" would fit for me better.
    The xtc frame is a pretty light frame eh? Are there any other types of frames that you guys could recommend that are light, yet strong, and good for racing? cost effective would be great too! haha. so far the xtc is at the top of my list but if cost is an issue, do you guys think the ranier could do too?

Thanks for the advice!

nab
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you have $300, try the BP stealth. I orginally wanted to buy that but i managed to get a great deal on the XTC which was unpassable ( is there such a word? )....i think there is a link in the hot deals page.... 17" is 2.8lbs... that's super light...and goods good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nab
    If you have $300, try the BP stealth. I orginally wanted to buy that but i managed to get a great deal on the XTC which was unpassable ( is there such a word? )....i think there is a link in the hot deals page.... 17" is 2.8lbs... that's super light...and goods good.
    wow thats light, how's the strength of the frame though?

nab
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know, i was really set on buying it until i got a deal on the XTC for $150. But i'd wanna try one day. There's only 1 review of it on mtbr i think. It looks really good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For what it's worth, I'm 5'9 and the 17 Giant XtC geo. frame fits me perfectly. As to the frames, the XTC IS 'better' -- but what are you going to use it for? If xc racing, then you certainly should go with it. HOWEVER, read the reviews of the xtc bikes over the past couple of model years: the reason the xtc frame is soooo light is because it uses VERY thin-walled 6013 tubing (to get the weight down). So, it IS light and very strong, but it DOES dent very easily. For sponsored racers, this doesn't matter, but if, for example, you're thinking of using the bike in general way, inc. general trail riding, you might want to consider the Ranier frame. It's slightly heavier, but ONLY slightly; a 17 Ranier frame is still down in the sub 3.5 lb range: how much lighter do you want or need?? And, it is substantially lighter/better than the Yukon-type frame. Finally, you might be interested to know that in, e.g., the UK and Australia there's no ''Ranier''; the Ranier frame is the XTC 4 and 3 (depending on components), and these bikes receive rave reviews over there. Just a few thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy giant
    For what it's worth, I'm 5'9 and the 17 Giant XtC geo. frame fits me perfectly. As to the frames, the XTC IS 'better' -- but what are you going to use it for? If xc racing, then you certainly should go with it. HOWEVER, read the reviews of the xtc bikes over the past couple of model years: the reason the xtc frame is soooo light is because it uses VERY thin-walled 6013 tubing (to get the weight down). So, it IS light and very strong, but it DOES dent very easily. For sponsored racers, this doesn't matter, but if, for example, you're thinking of using the bike in general way, inc. general trail riding, you might want to consider the Ranier frame. It's slightly heavier, but ONLY slightly; a 17 Ranier frame is still down in the sub 3.5 lb range: how much lighter do you want or need?? And, it is substantially lighter/better than the Yukon-type frame. Finally, you might be interested to know that in, e.g., the UK and Australia there's no ''Ranier''; the Ranier frame is the XTC 4 and 3 (depending on components), and these bikes receive rave reviews over there. Just a few thoughts.
    oh thanks a lot for the info, that helps clear things up for me. I would like to use the frame for racing but some trail riding too, however, i would like a frame that can last me for several years and i'm afraid that your comment that it dents really easily may affect its long term durability because crashes do unfortunately happen haha. would you know how much the xtc weighs in lbs? someone said 1.5kg before but i don't know the conversion haha. I also thought that the ranier and yukon had the same frame?

Thanks a lot for the help guys! appreciate it!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    oh thanks a lot for the info, that helps clear things up for me. I would like to use the frame for racing but some trail riding too, however, i would like a frame that can last me for several years and i'm afraid that your comment that it dents really easily may affect its long term durability because crashes do unfortunately happen haha. would you know how much the xtc weighs in lbs? someone said 1.5kg before but i don't know the conversion haha. I also thought that the ranier and yukon had the same frame?

Thanks a lot for the help guys! appreciate it!
    The rainer and yukon do have the same frame. And I beleive it is more then 3.5lbs cause that is a little low, I think the rainer frame might be closer to 4lbs. 1.5kg is 3.3lbs.
    I use the XTC as my only bike, so far have about 950km without a single problem with the frame. I have yet to have a bad crash on my bike tho, but even so, Jeff Lenosky crashes bike stuff once in a while and from the footage I've seen is he just gets up and just keeps riding.
    But with saying alll that, if money is a problem then the rainer frame is still nice. I picked one up in the store that had been striped and I was amazed how feather weight it was, But i haven't picked up a stripped xtc frame so I cannot compare. But I know for a fact the xtc frame is stronger and lighter.
    Oh yes I just remembered, I wouldn't do this, but a guy a know bought a second hand giant xtc2 and started freeriding on it. It last about 4months till it cracked, he got up to like 9foot drops on it. Pretty crazy, and that isn't reccomended at all! Don't do that stuff tho on the xtc, get a proper bike if your going to be doing crazy stuff like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    The rainer and yukon do have the same frame. And I beleive it is more then 3.5lbs cause that is a little low, I think the rainer frame might be closer to 4lbs. 1.5kg is 3.3lbs.
    I use the XTC as my only bike, so far have about 950km without a single problem with the frame. I have yet to have a bad crash on my bike tho, but even so, Jeff Lenosky crashes bike stuff once in a while and from the footage I've seen is he just gets up and just keeps riding.
    But with saying alll that, if money is a problem then the rainer frame is still nice. I picked one up in the store that had been striped and I was amazed how feather weight it was, But i haven't picked up a stripped xtc frame so I cannot compare. But I know for a fact the xtc frame is stronger and lighter.
    Oh yes I just remembered, I wouldn't do this, but a guy a know bought a second hand giant xtc2 and started freeriding on it. It last about 4months till it cracked, he got up to like 9foot drops on it. Pretty crazy, and that isn't reccomended at all! Don't do that stuff tho on the xtc, get a proper bike if your going to be doing crazy stuff like that.
    WOW, 9 foot drops on a xc hardtail, that is amazing haha, on a second hand xtc too, wow..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Been away a day or so, but have to jump in on this once more: the Yukon and Ranier/Iguana frame are NOT the same. Same tubing, yes; but different geometry, different chainstay construction, entirely different headtube. Little things, perhaps, but they do make a difference. A Ranier frame really IS a slightly heavier XTC frame. Bike Freak is absolutely right: the XTC frame IS somewhat stronger (re. flex) and lighter, because of the higher-grade 6 series tubing used. But having said that, the Ranier frame (as B.F. noted) is surprisingly light. I don't know the weights of XTC frames or of 04 Ranier frames, but I do know that a 17" 03 Ranier/Iguana frame -- stripped -- in fact comes in at around 3.3 lbs -- light enough, except for all-out xc race, in anyone's books. I also stand by my 'general use' durability comments. Giant's 6013 race Aluxx tubing is (roughly) like, say, the zr9000 stuff used on Kleins, or Trek's 8000 bikes. Again, read the reviews on this site for XTCs, Klein Attitudes, or Trek 8000/8500, and you'll find lots of comments re. the thin-walled nature of the tubing. This is NOT a fault -- I'm hoping to move up to XTC eventually -- but it is I think a real consideration when choosing a frame to build up: for what, and how, are you going to use the bike, and for how long do you plan to keep it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy giant
    Been away a day or so, but have to jump in on this once more: the Yukon and Ranier/Iguana frame are NOT the same. Same tubing, yes; but different geometry, different chainstay construction, entirely different headtube. Little things, perhaps, but they do make a difference. A Ranier frame really IS a slightly heavier XTC frame. Bike Freak is absolutely right: the XTC frame IS somewhat stronger (re. flex) and lighter, because of the higher-grade 6 series tubing used. But having said that, the Ranier frame (as B.F. noted) is surprisingly light. I don't know the weights of XTC frames or of 04 Ranier frames, but I do know that a 17" 03 Ranier/Iguana frame -- stripped -- in fact comes in at around 3.3 lbs -- light enough, except for all-out xc race, in anyone's books. I also stand by my 'general use' durability comments. Giant's 6013 race Aluxx tubing is (roughly) like, say, the zr9000 stuff used on Kleins, or Trek's 8000 bikes. Again, read the reviews on this site for XTCs, Klein Attitudes, or Trek 8000/8500, and you'll find lots of comments re. the thin-walled nature of the tubing. This is NOT a fault -- I'm hoping to move up to XTC eventually -- but it is I think a real consideration when choosing a frame to build up: for what, and how, are you going to use the bike, and for how long do you plan to keep it?
    hey, thanks for the reply, i plan on mainly using it for xc races and some trail riding i think. except i want something that can last me for a long time which is kinda one of the reasons a hardtail is good since hardtail "technology" doesn't really change that much in comparison to dual suspension bikes. what weight would you consider good enough for "all out xc races?"
    Thanks for the help!