mtbr member
    Jan 2004

XTC Composite Riders?

Does anyone have extended ride time on a 2012 - 2013 XTC Composite? I'm considering this hardtail this year to add to the fleet. Primarily I'm looking at the sub $3k model.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    yep. its good for the money. do the job

the fizik saddle is bad. too narrow for me and hard as. Getting rid of it improved the ride quality no end. Budget on getting rid of that thing i reckon. Lots of chainslap on the underside of the chainstay near bb, i think due to the way the chainstays are offset (the drive side is lower than the non-drive side for some reason). I put shelter on it and have had rocks pinging off it with no probs yet. Ridden pretty hard. Am starting to get creaking sounds though. The rear QR is moving slightly when i powerdown causing a creaking noise, only way to get rid of it is to tighen the qr. This is more the nature of QR than the bike i think, but is annoying...starting to like the idea of 142 X12. Ive taken it some pretty rough places and so far so good. The fit was ok. I had a little trouble getting comfortable on the thing but pretty good now. Keep thinking it needs a narrower seatpost to introduce a bit of compliance into the rear. Its a good bike. Cant say i'm blown away. But a good solid bike for the $. Its a hardtail y'know. Slx brakes are good, very happy with them. Maybe would have liked a 24t granny than the 26, but it works. The schwable performance tires are rubbish. The front washes out real quick on anything loose. Use the brakes a bit on the rear and the tread is gone. Budget on replacing them quick. The wheels needed retensioning after only a few rides but have held up well since. Seem durable if heavy. The nipples where hard to turn and seem frozen for some reason, but anyway. Its a good bike, im happy. But if you asked me if i had my time over would i buy it again the answer would be - i dont know.
    Last edited by 911Holy$; 01-12-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Primative Screwhead
    I've got one. Agree with the above poster on most points. Tyres are sketchy, bars and cassette are really heavy but found the seat to be ok. SLX works very well. I think that the 'recent' front double chaining trend is not always the best choice for 29rs. Until you get light wheels on them, the extra gearing would come in handy IMHO. The bike is EXTREMELY stiff, so if that's what you're after, look no further. The previous poster was right on the money with the compliance comment. The frame really needs a carbon seatpost to take the edge off, and now I can see where the XTC Advanced has basically taken the shortcomings of this frame and addressed them in a redesign.
    For me xtc's greatest attribute is it's handling at speed. Flickable and fast. Certainly much more nimble than the Specialized carbon Evo HT that I raced earlier this year which was. Five pounds lighter. l was also sold on the lifetime frame warranty because this is after all the real world and things do break from time to time.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    yes, fast and flickable is right. This is my first 29er and ive forgotten that im even riding a 29. It handles great in the tight stuff. Fast and flickable, if thats what you want then you will get it with this bike at a reasonable $. Very fun in this respect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyclist View Post
    Does anyone have extended ride time on a 2012 - 2013 XTC Composite? I'm considering this hardtail this year to add to the fleet. Primarily I'm looking at the sub $3k model.
    Thanks for posting this -- I should be picking up an XTC Comp 1 in early February and am curious about the durability.

I currently ride a 2011 XTC 2 alloy bike and loved it... (I sold it to a friend). The geometry looks to be basically identical between the two and it's a great 29er for my local Philly terrain so I don't expect any surprises in riding enjoyment, especially with the better component spec. Very quick in transitions and fuuuun.