mtbr member
    Jun 2010

XTC composite review

After my first weekendon the bike I've got some thoughts on this little pocket rocket.

First off, my build for those interested.

Large XTC carbon frame
    1x10 e13 crank
    e13 chainguide
    WTB Stryker wheelset
    WTB Bronson in the front, WTB Wolverine in the back
    Thomson masterpiece seat post
    EA70 alloy bars
    Stylo 75mm stem
    XO rear DR
    XO brakes
    XTR pedals
    Weighs 23lbs on the nose with pedals. Easily a 22 lb bike with light tires and carbon bars.

As has been mentioned previously, this bike is twitchy, but I like twitchy, It simply requires a little more focus when descending rocky, steep stuff. This is more of a point and shoot bike. My steel hardtail flows, while the XTC likes to be turned hard and hammered out of tight corners.

I rode a local 8 mile loop with numerous tight, up and downhill switchbacks. This bike made childsplay of these turns. Where I previously struggled, this bike made it easy to navigate even the tightest turn.

Handling is definitely 'BMX' like. This bike loves to be tossed around and hitting kickers launches it without the slightest effort. I like to stand when I climb, and this bike loves to be hammered. Steep run-ups are much easier compared to my steel HT and I found myself using a harder gear on long extended climbs.

I set a few PRs on my first ride, knocking off 1 minute from my previous best time around this loop, which included a couple stops. This is a do everything hardtail and overall I'm thrilled with this build and can't recommend it enough.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've got the same frame with rf atlas bars and a 50mm/6 degree stem and I think your review is spot on. I'm not sure i'd call the steering twitchy, probably "responsive" with a 71.5 degree head tube... the 29er wheels really hold a line very well even in the rocks. Which e14 cranks are you running? I'm running 1x10 with a 37t guidering on the stock sram crankset and am using the front deraileur as a pseudo guide for now, I would really like to get a proper chainguide with some kind of bashguard on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i.a.n. how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Responsive it definitely is. I guess I don't think of twitchy as a bad thing, but it's all relative depending on what type of bike you're coming from I guess. My other HT is only .5 degree slacker at the head angle and a touch longer wheelbase, and it's a a little more planted on steep descents. But it can't handle tight stuff as well as the XTC.

I'm running this crankset with a 32 ring:
    e*thirteen components

I'm using the e13 chainguide, but it doesn't include a bashguard. I figure if I drill the chainring so be it, I'll just have to time my pedal strokes over rocky stuff. Almost sounds like you've built an AM bike with your stem and bars. But I'l\m partial to short stems so I can see where you're coming from.

Enjoy the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by marinwolfrider View Post
    I've got the same frame with rf atlas bars and a 50mm/6 degree stem and I think your review is spot on. I'm not sure i'd call the steering twitchy, probably "responsive" with a 71.5 degree head tube... the 29er wheels really hold a line very well even in the rocks. Which e14 cranks are you running? I'm running 1x10 with a 37t guidering on the stock sram crankset and am using the front deraileur as a pseudo guide for now, I would really like to get a proper chainguide with some kind of bashguard on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm a hair over 5'11", but that's a sub 6 footers way of saying he's really 5'11". But I've got a long inseam at 34.5 inches (spider legs), so I prefer a large frame with a top tube length around 24.25. My preference has always been for large frames with short stems.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoman View Post
    i.a.n. how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, i.a.n. I am 6'1" and I too prefer a larger frame w/short stem. I can't decide if I should buy the large or x large frame? Any suggestion? I currently ride a 24.5 ETT with a 120 stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    A 120mm stem is long, especially by today's standards, but everyone is different. A short stem means steep climbs are a little harder because you can't get as much weight over the front wheel. But I prefer the shorty for descending and overall trail riding. I just scoot up in the saddle for steep (anything over 15%) climbs.

I think inseam comes into play more than overall height in determining a frame size. The large XTC frame as a 24.2 inch top tube length. The XL is 25 inches. If you're currently using a 120mm stem you could easily fit an XL if you wanted to go with a 90-100mm stem.

My feeling as been if you're in between sizes, go up and use a shorter stem. Just my .02.

Cheers,
    - Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoman View Post
    Thanks, i.a.n. I am 6'1" and I too prefer a larger frame w/short stem. I can't decide if I should buy the large or x large frame? Any suggestion? I currently ride a 24.5 ETT with a 120 stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    A 120mm stem is long, especially by today's standards, but everyone is different. A short stem means steep climbs are a little harder because you can't get as much weight over the front wheel. But I prefer the shorty for descending and overall trail riding. I just scoot up in the saddle for steep (anything over 15%) climbs.

I think inseam comes into play more than overall height in determining a frame size. The large XTC frame as a 24.2 inch top tube length. The XL is 25 inches. If you're currently using a 120mm stem you could easily fit an XL if you wanted to go with a 90-100mm stem.

My feeling as been if you're in between sizes, go up and use a shorter stem. Just my .02.

Cheers,
    - Ian
    Thanks! I was thinking the same thing.