mtbr member
    Mar 2007

XTC Composite 29er vs XTC Advanced SL 29er

Has anyone tried both? If yes, can you describe any differences?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've test ridden both, XTC 29 felt way quicker on moderately twisty and technical trails. Anthem 29 felt like a couch. Not a bad couch, but it was way less fun. The now discontinued Anthem 26 apparently was even more fun, but I've never ridden one

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was asking about the 2 different carbon XTC models.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBbiker View Post
    Has anyone tried both? If yes, can you describe any differences?
    Same question here

mtbr member
    I am wondering the same thing - obsessed might be a better description!

I did find the weights of the two on Giant's website for Germany. They list the Advanced SL 1 at 20.9 lbs and the standard composite 1 at 24.2 lbs. I have spending far to much time planning on how to to upgrade the Comp 1 to see how it compares for cost and weight.

So far (with a good local bike team discount), I am at 22.5lbs for about $500 less than the SL 1 - new Stan's wheels and lighter Schwalbe's, XX cranks and Thompson post from my current bike and a few other minor upgrades.

My biggest concern with the SL is ride quality - I am coming from a 26" Giant AX3, I know it will be different, just not sure if the SL will be even harsher/rough than the Comp, I don't want to give up anything here. I have read good reviews on the 2012 composite frame.

I am on the fence on the fork too - I have and love my Fox Float on my current bike and would like to stay with Fox. I have read mixed reviews on CTD and don't know much about the SID but have received varied feedback on Rockshox in general. I do like the adjustability of the RS though.

I guess a few test rides would answer a lot, the shop has an unbuilt comp 1 but won't get the SL 1 for a few weeks, maybe longer.

Good problem to have I guess - choices.

So - if anyone actually weighs or rides either one, or finds a review on line somewhere - let us know!

mtbr member
    Just went by the shop and they had the Composite 1 together! 24.5lbs without pedals, size medium frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BTLS View Post
    I am wondering the same thing - obsessed might be a better description!

I did find the weights of the two on Giant's website for Germany. They list the Advanced SL 1 at 20.9 lbs and the standard composite 1 at 24.2 lbs. I have spending far to much time planning on how to to upgrade the Comp 1 to see how it compares for cost and weight.

So far (with a good local bike team discount), I am at 22.5lbs for about $500 less than the SL 1 - new Stan's wheels and lighter Schwalbe's, XX cranks and Thompson post from my current bike and a few other minor upgrades.

My biggest concern with the SL is ride quality - I am coming from a 26" Giant AX3, I know it will be different, just not sure if the SL will be even harsher/rough than the Comp, I don't want to give up anything here. I have read good reviews on the 2012 composite frame.

I am on the fence on the fork too - I have and love my Fox Float on my current bike and would like to stay with Fox. I have read mixed reviews on CTD and don't know much about the SID but have received varied feedback on Rockshox in general. I do like the adjustability of the RS though.

I guess a few test rides would answer a lot, the shop has an unbuilt comp 1 but won't get the SL 1 for a few weeks, maybe longer.

Good problem to have I guess - choices.

So - if anyone actually weighs or rides either one, or finds a review on line somewhere - let us know!
    From what is have heared the Advanced SL is much more compliant regarding riding. It will filters more riding vibration then the composite frame.

I'am also looking for the Advanced SL en compared it with the Composite. My conclusion was that the frame is much nicer:
    - internal cables
    - lighter frame +/- 400 grams lighter
    - different rearbrake position, due to this the upper leg of the rear triangle is much thinner and de ride is more compliant.
    - 27,2mm seatpost for more flex
    - seatpostclamp under the toptube
    - direct mount front derailleur

Regarding to Fox and RockShock, I think both forks are good and it is a personal question. In general they say Fox CTD are stiffer but a little heavier, RS SID is lighter but offers a little more flex then Fox CTD.

Your Best Friend
    HkNeef is right on the money.

The Advanced SL is an evolution in frame design. Not a new idea but it is new for Giant. The frame basically takes lessons learned from Giant building the Scott Scale and applying them. The frame is built to be light and compliant. Both very good things when it comes to carbon.

The Composite is old school ideas. Make the frame stiff. However it gives up a lot in terms of ride quality. If you are doing super short races, i.e. 1 hour or less, this would be a great frame.

If you can, go for the Advanced. Night and day differences.

In regards to Fox vs. RS...You will never notice flex in the RS, especially with the Overdrive 2 steerer and the 15mm thru-axle. The RS is a much better fork I.M.E. and requires much less maintenance.