Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

XTC Composite 29er Thread

Let's see some pics and testimonials specs of your rigs, people. Getting mine tomorrow. Will put in my $.02 when I get some mileage in.

Your Best Friend
    Awesome! New bike day!!! Bet you can't sleep? It's like Christmas for big kids. Show us some build pics as she comes together.

mtbr member
    It's put together in the shop ready to rock! Gotta drive 50 miles after work to pick it up but will be worth it! I got a good deal on it and it's a sexy looking bike. Will post up pics tonight.

mtbr member
    XTC Composite 29er Thread-2013-04-04_18-24-46_671.jpg

Well here she is. Like the bike. Riding a hardtail will be a bit different, especially without an adjustable seatpost. It's a sexy bike. I feel like I am flying on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Congrats to you!

E !

2013 xtc composite 29er 3.

Swapped out the following from stock. Stans arch wheels,fsa sl-k bars and stem. Giant connect sl composite seatpost.
    shimano 540 pedals. As is 23.6 pounds. This thing is superfast and handles great. The paint finish is top notch. The only thing i think will need replacing are the stock tires. They are pretty sketchy in loose, loose/over hardpack riding. No big deal though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XTC Composite 29er Thread-imag0164.jpg  

the - E - dog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by E ! View Post
    Swapped out the following from stock. Stans arch wheels,fsa sl-k bars and stem. Giant connect sl composite seatpost.
    shimano 540 pedals. As is 23.6 pounds. This thing is superfast and handles great. The paint finish is top notch. The only thing i think will need replacing are the stock tires. They are pretty sketchy in loose, loose/over hardpack riding. No big deal though.
    Tight whip. After I get done with some of my house projects my XTC will get the same treatment!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I recently converted my XTC Composite 29'er to a single speed, and snagged a 3rd Place at the Sea Otter Classic Pro/Cat 1 single speed race last weekend. Here is a link to my race report, and a kinda crappy pic of it. With a rigid fork this thing is weighing in a 17.4 lbs (with pedals).
    2013 Sea Otter Classic, Pro/Cat 1 Singlespeed XC Race Report | Folsom Bike Elite MTB Racing Team

XTC Composite 29er Thread-anthem-xtc.jpg

mtbr member
    ^ sick bikes.

I picked up my Giant XTC Comp 1 last week. 24.58 lb stock for a medium, no pedals. Replaced a 2011 XTC 2 (alloy jawn) 3x10 drivetrain.

I can't give a great ride report yet, but will circle back. On the initial ride it felt more compact and taller than my old bike, but the steerer is uncut and the stem is setup tall, and it is equipped with risers. The bike was a rocket though: stiff and the 2x10 setup was excellent in regards to gearing. The fork's CTD lockout seems to have **** the bed however so I am sending the fork to Fox for warranty service.

I have some changes in the works:
    - dt swiss 240 hubs to arch ex rims (upgraded 36t ratchet)
    - conti xking 2.2 (tubeless)
    - xt cassette
    - xt shadow + derailleur
    - pcb brakes
    - easton ec70 bars
    - ritchey grips

mtbr member
    My XTC 1 (med) weighs in around 25. Too broke from initial purchase to get new wheels but will get new rubber and convert to tubeless. After I drop my annual 15 lb I lose on my bike I will reward myself with a new wheelset!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What size is yours? I just picked up the same bike in a Medium that weighed in at 26.6 lbs without pedals. 3lbs is an awfully big weight reduction just from wheels, bar, and stem.

jms
    mtbr member

Just Finished Cobbling It Together Today

I just finished cobbling this 2012XTC composite frame/2013 Alloy Lefty XLR together today. 21.8 lbs as it sits with bar ends, pump clip, bottle cages, Garmin mount, blah, blah, blah. I hope it rides as nicely as it looks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XTC Composite 29er Thread-img_1927.jpg  

My Favorite Peeps:

E !
    size medium. Big time weight savings in the wheels. Over 700 g's. With the stock racing ralphs. Also the stock bars,stem,seatpost. I'm not lying, weighed before and after. However,i just mounted some new tires that probably added a pound.
    the - E - dog

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    size medium. Big time weight savings in the wheels. Over 700 g's. With the stock racing ralphs. Also the stock bars,stem,seatpost. I'm not lying, weighed before and after. However,i just mounted some new tires that probably added a pound.
    Holy crap, over 700g?!? Now I understand how Giant got the MSRP below $2k with a carbon frame; they put wagon wheels on it. I was gonna hold off getting Stans Arches, but knowing this I gotta do it sooner rather than later. Thanks for the info. I just assumed the stock wheels were a little over 2kg.

mtbr member
    tires are a big part of any wheelset weight savings. I swapped from the stock to Stan's Arch EX + DT Swiss 240 + conti xking + tubeless and it's about the same. maybe half a pound. I think because the tires weigh 400g more than the non tubeless ready stock tires.

however, the 3 definitely has a heavier wheelset than the 1 stock. I did it mostly for tubeless

mtbr member
    Tires & Wheels = next upgrade. I think I can drop 2 lbs from the stock with that and other upgrades. Just a question of how much $ I wanna drop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine is more of a trail build than XC, so it actually gained weight and now tips the scales at a portly 28.6 lbs as pictured. Looking for a used set of Stans wheels to maybe shed a pound.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    Mine is more of a trail build than XC, so it actually gained weight and now tips the scales at a portly 28.6 lbs as pictured. Looking for a used set of Stans wheels to maybe shed a pound.

Nice get a new wheelset and go tubeless and you will instantly feel a difference. What kinda dropper is that?

mtbr member
    What size is yours? I just picked up the same bike in a Medium that weighed in at 26.6 lbs without pedals. 3lbs is an awfully big weight reduction just from wheels, bar, and stem.
    Hey Bulldozer, is yours an XTC 3 or XTC 1? There is a couple of pounds difference in those two models. My new XTC 1 weighs ~ 25 lbs with crappy platforms on it that I have yet to swap out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The dropper is one of the early Specialized Command Posts from '09. I must have got a lemon because it has been bulletproof since new, so this is the fourth bike to wear it.

I broke in the bike today and am somewhat disappointed by the Recon fork, which is to be expected I suppose. I weigh 180, and even at 80psi (well below the factory recommendation) it was still way too harsh over minor chunk. So now my first priority is a used Fox or Reba before a set of lighter wheels.

mtbr member
    The dropper is one of the early Specialized Command Posts from '09. I must have got a lemon because it has been bulletproof since new, so this is the fourth bike to wear it.

I broke in the bike today and am somewhat disappointed by the Recon fork, which is to be expected I suppose. I weigh 180, and even at 80psi (well below the factory recommendation) it was still way too harsh over minor chunk. So now my first priority is a used Fox or Reba before a set of lighter wheels.
    Adjust the rebound a bit. My Recon seems like fine. I probably ride it on stuff that is a bit rougher than typical "XC" trails. I really want a dropper on this, even though it is an XC bike. Every bike can benefit from one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the tip regarding rebound. It was cranked to maximum damping from the shop, which severely affected the compression stroke as well. Now I can just deal with upgrading the wheels.

Why does your XTC1 have a Recon instead of the OEM Fox?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip regarding rebound. It was cranked to maximum damping from the shop, which severely affected the compression stroke as well. Now I can just deal with upgrading the wheels.

Why does your XTC1 have a Recon instead of the OEM Fox?
    That is a good question! I thought all XTC 1's came with the Fox shock. I paid $2200 for the bike so I think I got a pretty good deal on it. Gonna upgrade wheels and maybe get a dropper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Can you post a few pictures of the single speed XTC? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I did a quick review of my new XTC. Check out if you want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpFUzWjWNBw

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast