Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 173
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644

    XTC Composite 29er Thread

    Let's see some pics and testimonials specs of your rigs, people. Getting mine tomorrow. Will put in my $.02 when I get some mileage in.

  2. #2
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,720
    Awesome! New bike day!!! Bet you can't sleep? It's like Christmas for big kids. Show us some build pics as she comes together.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    It's put together in the shop ready to rock! Gotta drive 50 miles after work to pick it up but will be worth it! I got a good deal on it and it's a sexy looking bike. Will post up pics tonight.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    XTC Composite 29er Thread-2013-04-04_18-24-46_671.jpg

    Well here she is. Like the bike. Riding a hardtail will be a bit different, especially without an adjustable seatpost. It's a sexy bike. I feel like I am flying on it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21
    Congrats to you!

  6. #6
    E !
    E ! is offline
    .........................
    Reputation: E !'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,094

    2013 xtc composite 29er 3.

    2013 xtc composite 29er 3.
    Swapped out the following from stock. Stans arch wheels,fsa sl-k bars and stem. Giant connect sl composite seatpost.
    shimano 540 pedals. As is 23.6 pounds. This thing is superfast and handles great. The paint finish is top notch. The only thing i think will need replacing are the stock tires. They are pretty sketchy in loose, loose/over hardpack riding. No big deal though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XTC Composite 29er Thread-imag0164.jpg  

    the - E - dog

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by E ! View Post
    2013 xtc composite 29er 3.
    Swapped out the following from stock. Stans arch wheels,fsa sl-k bars and stem. Giant connect sl composite seatpost.
    shimano 540 pedals. As is 23.6 pounds. This thing is superfast and handles great. The paint finish is top notch. The only thing i think will need replacing are the stock tires. They are pretty sketchy in loose, loose/over hardpack riding. No big deal though.
    Tight whip. After I get done with some of my house projects my XTC will get the same treatment!

  8. #8
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,080
    I recently converted my XTC Composite 29'er to a single speed, and snagged a 3rd Place at the Sea Otter Classic Pro/Cat 1 single speed race last weekend. Here is a link to my race report, and a kinda crappy pic of it. With a rigid fork this thing is weighing in a 17.4 lbs (with pedals).
    2013 Sea Otter Classic, Pro/Cat 1 Singlespeed XC Race Report | Folsom Bike Elite MTB Racing Team

    XTC Composite 29er Thread-anthem-xtc.jpg

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Satanic Pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    82
    ^ sick bikes.

    I picked up my Giant XTC Comp 1 last week. 24.58 lb stock for a medium, no pedals. Replaced a 2011 XTC 2 (alloy jawn) 3x10 drivetrain.

    I can't give a great ride report yet, but will circle back. On the initial ride it felt more compact and taller than my old bike, but the steerer is uncut and the stem is setup tall, and it is equipped with risers. The bike was a rocket though: stiff and the 2x10 setup was excellent in regards to gearing. The fork's CTD lockout seems to have shit the bed however so I am sending the fork to Fox for warranty service.

    I have some changes in the works:
    - dt swiss 240 hubs to arch ex rims (upgraded 36t ratchet)
    - conti xking 2.2 (tubeless)
    - xt cassette
    - xt shadow + derailleur
    - pcb brakes
    - easton ec70 bars
    - ritchey grips

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    My XTC 1 (med) weighs in around 25. Too broke from initial purchase to get new wheels but will get new rubber and convert to tubeless. After I drop my annual 15 lb I lose on my bike I will reward myself with a new wheelset!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by E ! View Post
    2013 xtc composite 29er 3.
    Swapped out the following from stock. Stans arch wheels,fsa sl-k bars and stem. Giant connect sl composite seatpost.
    shimano 540 pedals. As is 23.6 pounds. This thing is superfast and handles great. The paint finish is top notch. The only thing i think will need replacing are the stock tires. They are pretty sketchy in loose, loose/over hardpack riding. No big deal though.
    What size is yours? I just picked up the same bike in a Medium that weighed in at 26.6 lbs without pedals. 3lbs is an awfully big weight reduction just from wheels, bar, and stem.

  12. #12
    jms
    jms is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,712

    Just Finished Cobbling It Together Today

    I just finished cobbling this 2012XTC composite frame/2013 Alloy Lefty XLR together today. 21.8 lbs as it sits with bar ends, pump clip, bottle cages, Garmin mount, blah, blah, blah. I hope it rides as nicely as it looks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XTC Composite 29er Thread-img_1927.jpg  

    My Favorite Peeps:

  13. #13
    E !
    E ! is offline
    .........................
    Reputation: E !'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,094
    size medium. Big time weight savings in the wheels. Over 700 g's. With the stock racing ralphs. Also the stock bars,stem,seatpost. I'm not lying, weighed before and after. However,i just mounted some new tires that probably added a pound.
    the - E - dog

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by E ! View Post
    size medium. Big time weight savings in the wheels. Over 700 g's. With the stock racing ralphs. Also the stock bars,stem,seatpost. I'm not lying, weighed before and after. However,i just mounted some new tires that probably added a pound.
    Holy crap, over 700g?!? Now I understand how Giant got the MSRP below $2k with a carbon frame; they put wagon wheels on it. I was gonna hold off getting Stans Arches, but knowing this I gotta do it sooner rather than later. Thanks for the info. I just assumed the stock wheels were a little over 2kg.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Satanic Pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    82
    tires are a big part of any wheelset weight savings. I swapped from the stock to Stan's Arch EX + DT Swiss 240 + conti xking + tubeless and it's about the same. maybe half a pound. I think because the tires weigh 400g more than the non tubeless ready stock tires.

    however, the 3 definitely has a heavier wheelset than the 1 stock. I did it mostly for tubeless

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    Tires & Wheels = next upgrade. I think I can drop 2 lbs from the stock with that and other upgrades. Just a question of how much $ I wanna drop.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    232
    Mine is more of a trail build than XC, so it actually gained weight and now tips the scales at a portly 28.6 lbs as pictured. Looking for a used set of Stans wheels to maybe shed a pound.


  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    Mine is more of a trail build than XC, so it actually gained weight and now tips the scales at a portly 28.6 lbs as pictured. Looking for a used set of Stans wheels to maybe shed a pound.

    Nice get a new wheelset and go tubeless and you will instantly feel a difference. What kinda dropper is that?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    What size is yours? I just picked up the same bike in a Medium that weighed in at 26.6 lbs without pedals. 3lbs is an awfully big weight reduction just from wheels, bar, and stem.
    Hey Bulldozer, is yours an XTC 3 or XTC 1? There is a couple of pounds difference in those two models. My new XTC 1 weighs ~ 25 lbs with crappy platforms on it that I have yet to swap out.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    232
    The dropper is one of the early Specialized Command Posts from '09. I must have got a lemon because it has been bulletproof since new, so this is the fourth bike to wear it.

    I broke in the bike today and am somewhat disappointed by the Recon fork, which is to be expected I suppose. I weigh 180, and even at 80psi (well below the factory recommendation) it was still way too harsh over minor chunk. So now my first priority is a used Fox or Reba before a set of lighter wheels.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    The dropper is one of the early Specialized Command Posts from '09. I must have got a lemon because it has been bulletproof since new, so this is the fourth bike to wear it.

    I broke in the bike today and am somewhat disappointed by the Recon fork, which is to be expected I suppose. I weigh 180, and even at 80psi (well below the factory recommendation) it was still way too harsh over minor chunk. So now my first priority is a used Fox or Reba before a set of lighter wheels.
    Adjust the rebound a bit. My Recon seems like fine. I probably ride it on stuff that is a bit rougher than typical "XC" trails. I really want a dropper on this, even though it is an XC bike. Every bike can benefit from one.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    232
    Thanks for the tip regarding rebound. It was cranked to maximum damping from the shop, which severely affected the compression stroke as well. Now I can just deal with upgrading the wheels.

    Why does your XTC1 have a Recon instead of the OEM Fox?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    Thanks for the tip regarding rebound. It was cranked to maximum damping from the shop, which severely affected the compression stroke as well. Now I can just deal with upgrading the wheels.

    Why does your XTC1 have a Recon instead of the OEM Fox?
    That is a good question! I thought all XTC 1's came with the Fox shock. I paid $2200 for the bike so I think I got a pretty good deal on it. Gonna upgrade wheels and maybe get a dropper.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    11
    Can you post a few pictures of the single speed XTC? Thanks!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    I did a quick review of my new XTC. Check out if you want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpFUzWjWNBw

  26. #26
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Levinator View Post
    Can you post a few pictures of the single speed XTC? Thanks!
    Sorry for the delay on this! Here you go.

    XTC Composite 29er Thread-xtc-2.jpg

    XTC Composite 29er Thread-xtc-1.jpg

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16
    Anybody got a lizardskin chain stay protector on there xtc....what size do I need? ?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    236
    Hey guys, I have a question regarding this bike. I own one and was wondering how much abuse it's actually able to handle? Is it able to handle small jumps at all? Last question, what does the XTC mean? Also is this bike considered a full out XC style bike?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post
    Hey guys, I have a question regarding this bike. I own one and was wondering how much abuse it's actually able to handle? Is it able to handle small jumps at all? Last question, what does the XTC mean? Also is this bike considered a full out XC style bike?
    This bike is a full on XC race bike. Of course how you actually use it is up to you. This is heavier carbon frame than most carbon race bikes out there and I have heard it is a bit more stout because of that but I am not sure. I think any bike should be able to handle occasional small jumps. I am not a hucker but I take this off of small jumps on every ride I am weigh in the high 100's. Not sure what "XTC" means, I thought it was a play the word "ecstasy" but "XC" in the since it's an "XC" bike.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    236
    Well hopefully the thicker headtube area and crank area can handle stress off jumps. Last thing I need is to make a jump 3-5 ft and BAM frame snaps.... that wouldn't be so good lol

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz4311 View Post
    Anybody got a lizardskin chain stay protector on there xtc....what size do I need? ?
    You need the Lizard Skins Jumbo 29er protector, which is what I run.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    You need the Lizard Skins Jumbo 29er protector, which is what I run.
    I might purchase 1 before the chain starts to ruin the paint.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    236
    Quick question... would anyone know why when I spin the rear wheel I hear this weird grinding sound? I thought it was coming from the crank but when I put my ear to it, seems like it's coming from the cassette. Anyone else experience this before? Should I be worried?

  34. #34
    jms
    jms is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post
    Quick question... would anyone know why when I spin the rear wheel I hear this weird grinding sound? I thought it was coming from the crank but when I put my ear to it, seems like it's coming from the cassette. Anyone else experience this before? Should I be worried?
    Could be your chainline is off.
    My Favorite Peeps:

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Could be your chainline is off.
    How would I fix this?

    Thanks

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    232

    Evolution is complete - with weights

    For anyone who cares, I've attached pics with corresponding weights and specs to show how various mods affected total weight.

    Stock w/o pedals: 26.6lbs



    Swapped OEM to Specialized Command Post, Azonic 420 pedals, Maxxis Crossmark tires: 28.6lbs (yikes!)



    Swapped OEM to WTB Rocket V Pro saddle, Fox F29 FIT 100RLC fork, Stans ZTR Arch EX Stock wheelset, Formula R/RX 180/160 brakeset, Shimano XT crankset and cassette, SRAM X9 Type 2 rear derailleur: 25.8lbs (whew!)


  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    I am thinking about throwing a dropper on and a new wheelset. New fork seems too spendy.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1
    This is the 4th giant and latest bike which I have. I trust the Giant.
    This is a xtc 29er composite 1 2012 and I have been on a mountain in West Macedonia in Greece
    XTC Composite 29er Thread-2013-06-01-10.20.47.jpg

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    236
    Quick question... can a 180mm rotor fit on the rear wheel? I was looking at the frame itself, and it might rub on the frame. I'm thinking of getting 180mm rotor for my front and was also thinking replacing the rear if possible. Thank you.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    236
    Also, will 120mm travel effect the ride? Would it also stress the headtube of the frame? I was hearing XC bikes can't handle much travel above 100mm unless I'm wrong?

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post
    Quick question... can a 180mm rotor fit on the rear wheel? I was looking at the frame itself, and it might rub on the frame. I'm thinking of getting 180mm rotor for my front and was also thinking replacing the rear if possible. Thank you.
    Just leave the stock 160 rotor in the rear if you are getting a 180 for the front. Most of the braking is handled by the front anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post
    Also, will 120mm travel effect the ride? Would it also stress the headtube of the frame? I was hearing XC bikes can't handle much travel above 100mm unless I'm wrong?
    120mm would slacken the head angle, making the steering slower. As for additional stress on the headtube, it's possible. Based on your other posts, it sounds like you should have gotten an All-Mountain hardtail, not a carbon XC one.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    Just leave the stock 160 rotor in the rear if you are getting a 180 for the front. Most of the braking is handled by the front anyway.



    120mm would slacken the head angle, making the steering slower. As for additional stress on the headtube, it's possible. Based on your other posts, it sounds like you should have gotten an All-Mountain hardtail, not a carbon XC one.
    I'll replace the front rotor instead then. Thanks for the info.

    I didn't realize the XC bikes were so limited to be honest. Reason why I got this style of bike was because I don't do serious jumps or anything like that during trail riding. Even though it's a XC bike, I do ride it as at trail bike. All I do is a bit of rock gardens, small jumps while riding through trails and that's it. I did attempt going down stairs, but that's nothing haha.

    Also, how come Fox labels their forks 120mm for XC bikes, if 120mm is too much? 32 TALAS 29 120/90 FIT CTD Trail Adjust Bike Fork | FOX

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21
    Here is a picture of my 2013 XTC 3 Comp, size Large.
    Upgrades include:
    Giant P-XCR1 Wheel Set with 36T Ratchet Upgrade
    Schwalbe RR EVO TLR Tires (tubeless)
    Thomson Masterpiece Setback Seat Post
    Giant Contact Risor Bar

    Future Upgrades include:
    XO1 or XX1 Drivetrain
    Reba RLT

    Current weight 24lbs 11ozs
    <a href="http://s140.photobucket.com/user/DEISELDOG/media/5390b673-232d-44ee-8a63-f3f4d049fc58_zpsea06d1df.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r27/DEISELDOG/5390b673-232d-44ee-8a63-f3f4d049fc58_zpsea06d1df.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 5390b673-232d-44ee-8a63-f3f4d049fc58_zpsea06d1df.jpg"/></a>

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post
    I'll replace the front rotor instead then. Thanks for the info.

    I didn't realize the XC bikes were so limited to be honest. Reason why I got this style of bike was because I don't do serious jumps or anything like that during trail riding. Even though it's a XC bike, I do ride it as at trail bike. All I do is a bit of rock gardens, small jumps while riding through trails and that's it. I did attempt going down stairs, but that's nothing haha.

    Also, how come Fox labels their forks 120mm for XC bikes, if 120mm is too much? 32 TALAS 29 120/90 FIT CTD Trail Adjust Bike Fork | FOX
    Just so you know, if you run a fork with any more travel than 100mm then you are going to void your warranty on the frame. Just because Fox says it is an "XC" fork does not mean it is compatible with any "XC" frame.

    The XTC Composite is virtually indestructible if ridden the way it was intended as an entry level cross country race bike. Although it feels bomb proof, it was not designed to be an all mountain bike, so I would be wary about continually taking it off 3-5 foot drops. Just my two cents.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paintlick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    32
    this bike is fast and fun! 2014 29er Composite 1. swapped out the cassette for an XT 11-36. maybe a wheel upgrade later and put these on my son's Talon. i've had a blast on every new bike i've ever bought, but this is leaps and bounds better and a blast to ride.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by paintlick View Post
    this bike is fast and fun! 2014 29er Composite 1. swapped out the cassette for an XT 11-36. maybe a wheel upgrade later and put these on my son's Talon. i've had a blast on every new bike i've ever bought, but this is leaps and bounds better and a blast to ride.
    Awesome!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    236
    Sometimes I wish I bought the medium or large of this bike... so I can have 2 bottle holders! lol I'm 5'7 and the medium was somewhat big for me haha.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    236
    I want to buy an adjustable seatpost. What's the size that I should get. Here is the one I want it fits 30.9 diameter.

    Command Blacklight MTB Seat Post

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    232
    Yeah the Giant takes a 30.9 seatpost.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    379
    Has any one broken a XTC Composite frame yet? If so where and how? I have a very unusual creak and I have went through everything. It only happens during climbing with pedal force and you can feel it through the frame. It is also intermittent during the climb and only starts about 30 min into the ride. I'm at a total loss now. If it was an alloy frame I would say its a break but who knows with carbon? It sounds like a metallic and not a thud. Does Giant put aluminum inserts anywhere internally? Can a carbon frame fail internally and not external? My LBS has went completely through this bike and cannot find anything mechanically wrong. I am afraid of a total on trail failure.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. F29 Carbon 3 vs. XTC Composite 29er 1
    By byard in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 08:49 AM
  2. XTC Composite 29er build ?s
    By fireroad in forum Giant
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 11:54 PM
  3. XTC Composite 29er ride?
    By george7117 in forum Giant
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2012, 01:01 AM
  4. Giant XTC Composite 29er
    By kentkreitler in forum Giant
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 12:17 PM
  5. anyone riding the composite xtc 29er 1?
    By bike294eva in forum Giant
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 01:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •