mtbr member
    Nov 2005

XTC Composite with 100mm fork

Wanna buy the XTC Comp but in Australia it comes with the Fox r100 fork. Noticed that the US XTC Comp is only 80mm and wondered why the difference. (Are Giant trying to shift excess forks on an uneducated aussie market place?). Any composite owners want to tell me whether the carbon is worth the cost?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hmm, interesting. i did notice the Giant-Aust website spec'd 100mm travel forks and thought it was a change for good or bad. hadn't realised other places/US retain an 80mm travel fork.

have you seen the bike in person at your LBS? i wonder if the Giant-Aust website is wrong.

i agree it would throw the geometry out, albeit minor, but still.

from all personal reviews i've read, the composite XtC's a very sweet. whether it's worth it over the aluminium, not sure. i have an '05 XtC2 Aluxx SL and am very happy with its weight, stiffness and overall performance; and of course has an 80mm fork.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Welcome to the boards andypdn!

I'm pretty sure you can knock the Fox R 100 series forks down to 80mm with a simple service. I've heard people say that they don't mind the slacker steering from the taller fork, but I'm not so sure it would be the right move.

I guess you could run a bit more sag, but a lot of riders who ride bikes like these don't seem to keen on a softer front end!

I like the feel of mine with the 80mm fork just fine.

Cheers, Dave.

Members who have read this thread: 0