Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    118

    XTC Composite 1 versus 2? Worth the extra $?

    Checking out some websites it looks like the XTC Composite 1 is going to retail for around $3500 where as the XTC Composite 2 is $2400.

    Near as I can figure, the only real differences are in the wheelset (CrossMax vs Mavic 717/DT hubs) and the cranks (RF Deus vs RF Evolve). There are other small differences like composite vs alu seatpost and the brake levers, but those are really nominal.

    Is the $1100 difference really worth the wheelset/crank upgrade? I'm leaning towards no!
    .nathan.

  2. #2
    TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Reputation: KERKOVEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,039

    It depends.....

    Quote Originally Posted by nathasm
    Checking out some websites it looks like the XTC Composite 1 is going to retail for around $3500 where as the XTC Composite 2 is $2400.

    Near as I can figure, the only real differences are in the wheelset (CrossMax vs Mavic 717/DT hubs) and the cranks (RF Deus vs RF Evolve). There are other small differences like composite vs alu seatpost and the brake levers, but those are really nominal.

    Is the $1100 difference really worth the wheelset/crank upgrade? I'm leaning towards no!
    .nathan.

    If you are going to do a ton of racing......YES! If you just want a super nice xc bike, go with the XTC-C2. The CrossMax wheels are super nice! I raced a full season of solo 12 and 24 hour races on them, and never had to "true" them or replace spokes. Both bikes use the same frame....fork....etc. It's your call. Do you have a ton of money? Do you get new bike every year, or is this something you are going to rage on for awhile.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Young's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    24

    Which bike is more durable?

    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    Do you get new bike every year, or is this something you are going to rage on for awhile.
    Do you think NRS Composite 1 would be more durable than the NRS Composite 2?

    One one hand, I would expect the more expensive components to last longer.
    On the other hand, I assume the components are lighter and more prone to breakage.

  4. #4
    TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Reputation: KERKOVEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,039

    about the same....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Young
    Do you think NRS Composite 1 would be more durable than the NRS Composite 2?

    One one hand, I would expect the more expensive components to last longer.
    On the other hand, I assume the components are lighter and more prone to breakage.

    These bikes are very similar. The durability factor between the 2 is not really an issue. The difference between the 2 comes down to custom tuning....the fork, the tubless wheels, etc. The "2" would be a great bike if you are always looking for available replacement parts. For example....does your local shop carry spokes for Mavic CrossMax? Mine don't. Look at it from that stand point. For me, I would ride either. Just a quick note....I race 1 full season of 24 hour solo's on CrossMax, and they are super stiff and durable....never had to "true" them or replace any parts.

Similar Threads

  1. blast from the past, cut/paste from archived MTB DOC posts
    By ashwinearl in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 08:47 AM
  2. Mountain Bike Gear Ratio Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 10:57 AM
  3. Mountain Bike Gear Ratio Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Canadian Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 10:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •