mtbr member
    Mar 2004

XTC Carbon Hardtail

Any Carbon Hardtail owners out there? I am currently riding a Trek STP carbon softail (which has no disk boses). After a particularly clogging muddy ride Disk brakes are becoming very attractive. I like the ride of the STP and wondered how simalar a Carbon Giant would ride as they seem to be good bang for bucks. I am primarily a Triathlete (so most of my money goes into my road and tri bike), but occassionally do the odd MTB Duathlon in the winter and some XC and Enduro's races in the summer includeing a couple of 24hr race (one as a 4 & one as a pairs). Is it quite a comfortable ride will I notice the lose of that inch or so travel in comfort and handling over roots etc?

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

I race one!

The XTC hybrid is a rock'n bike. It rides like a normal hardtail, but just takes out a bit more of the sting of the rough stuff. It by no means has what you would call "Travel" What is does is soaks up the vibrations. There is NO way to compair it to a softail.

I use this bike as a back up for solo 24 hour racing. My last solo effort i ended up having to ride this bike for 23 hours. The course was rough as shiz-nit! (like riding on railroad tracks) I survived to win by 4 laps, and I didn't really hurt all that bad after words.

This bike is good for general XC racing and riding, but not my first choice for solo 24 efforts(no hardtail is). The bike is light, and looks sweet! I live in Iowa, but race this bike all over North America. So far I give this bike 5 Stars!!!!!!