mtbr member

XTC Alliance vs. XTC aluminum?

I'm having a heck of a time finding specs on these two frames. What are the weight differences between the XTC alliance frame and the regular aluminum XTC frame? Does Giant still offer a lifetime warranty on the Alliance frames?

Lastly, I weigh in at around 205 on an average day (trying to get back down into the low 190's). Am I too "big boned" for a partial carbon bike? Are these Alliance frames durable enough to withstand the same rigors as its all aluminum brother?

Appreciate the info.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would like to know too

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi guys,
    I have been lucky enough to purchase an Alliance frame and have built it up with lightweight custom wheels and parts into a 22.75lb flyer. I have just come off riding full suss for the last 10 years as I've got bored with full suspension dumbing down my riding and making me lazy. I have had many full sussers from Giant (4 NRS, 3 Anthem, 1 Trance) and Marin, Santa Cruz etc. and thought it's time for a change.
    What attracted me to the Alliance was the claim of stiff peddaling and comfy, compliant ride and I have to say the bike lives up to the claims. It virtually rides itself up hill and eats single track faster than any bike I have owned, all with a bigger grin than any full suss bike I have ridden. I have just completed the Mountain Mayhem 24hr in gruelling conditions and felt less fatigued than in previous years !! how can that be ?
    As for durability, all I can say is that I am around 190lbs and ride and race fairly hard without any problems, It is very unlikely that Giant would sell a bike that is going to fall apart after afew rides. I ride for, and work closely with my local bike shop and where as they have seen many carbon / carbon/ally bikes with broken frames (some from big names beginning with T) , they have never had a Giant in for warranty through manufacturing faults.
    My advice would be to give it a go, in my opinion they are one of the fastest and most comfortable hardtails there is.
    cheers
    Big DG

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

mtbr member

thanks for the nice review

Quote Originally Posted by Big DG
    Hi guys,
    I have been lucky enough to purchase an Alliance frame and have built it up with lightweight custom wheels and parts into a 22.75lb flyer. I have just come off riding full suss for the last 10 years as I've got bored with full suspension dumbing down my riding and making me lazy. I have had many full sussers from Giant (4 NRS, 3 Anthem, 1 Trance) and Marin, Santa Cruz etc. and thought it's time for a change.
    What attracted me to the Alliance was the claim of stiff peddaling and comfy, compliant ride and I have to say the bike lives up to the claims. It virtually rides itself up hill and eats single track faster than any bike I have owned, all with a bigger grin than any full suss bike I have ridden. I have just completed the Mountain Mayhem 24hr in gruelling conditions and felt less fatigued than in previous years !! how can that be ?
    As for durability, all I can say is that I am around 190lbs and ride and race fairly hard without any problems, It is very unlikely that Giant would sell a bike that is going to fall apart after afew rides. I ride for, and work closely with my local bike shop and where as they have seen many carbon / carbon/ally bikes with broken frames (some from big names beginning with T) , they have never had a Giant in for warranty through manufacturing faults.
    My advice would be to give it a go, in my opinion they are one of the fastest and most comfortable hardtails there is.
    cheers
    Big DG
    Where were you able to purchase the frame and for how much?

My lbs says that they cannot get me the alliance frame, and that it is only sold as a complete bike.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Well I ended up ordering an XL XTC 1. Evidently there are no more XL XTC 2's anywhere in the states. The XTC Alliance was pretty much out of the question due to budget issues. I really didn't want a bright red bike or the extra $225 added to the price tag, but I'm in a bit of a time crunch to get ready by September.

I'll be swapping over my seat, post, cranks, BB, fork, and wheelset from my Anthem 2 onto the new XTC. I may swap the stem and bars too...but I'm not sure how the fit will work out. The Anthem will be put back together with the corresponding parts from the XTC and put up for sale.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi SteveMTU,
    As you rightly point out the Alliance isn't available as frame only, I was lucky as my local bike shop in the UK was good enough to buy in the complete bike (I chose the A1 for the colour) strip it down and put the parts on another frame they were trying to sell. That left me to pay for a frame and build it up with existing kit.
    One way to do it may be to buy a complete bike, strip the parts off it and sell them on ebay. You should be able to make enough money to make it a worth while exercise. You could then fit everything off your old bike and sell the old frame also.
    I'm sure if enough people are interested in the Alliance, Giant will start selling the frame soon as they do with their Alliance TT Road bike.

I would be interested to know if anyone else is riding the Alliance and get their feedback.
    Good luck if you decide to buy one.

mtbr member

yes I have thought about selling off the components

Quote Originally Posted by Big DG
    Hi SteveMTU,
    As you rightly point out the Alliance isn't available as frame only, I was lucky as my local bike shop in the UK was good enough to buy in the complete bike (I chose the A1 for the colour) strip it down and put the parts on another frame they were trying to sell. That left me to pay for a frame and build it up with existing kit.
    One way to do it may be to buy a complete bike, strip the parts off it and sell them on ebay. You should be able to make enough money to make it a worth while exercise. You could then fit everything off your old bike and sell the old frame also.
    I'm sure if enough people are interested in the Alliance, Giant will start selling the frame soon as they do with their Alliance TT Road bike.

I would be interested to know if anyone else is riding the Alliance and get their feedback.
    Good luck if you decide to buy one.
    and keeping what seems to be a pretty sweet mixed material frame (the idea is interesting anyway). In the US, they only sell one components package with the alliance frame. The components seem reliable but quite heavy--too heavy for a competitive race package unless you have a really big motor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu
    and keeping what seems to be a pretty sweet mixed material frame (the idea is interesting anyway). In the US, they only sell one components package with the alliance frame. The components seem reliable but quite heavy--too heavy for a competitive race package unless you have a really big motor.
    That's why i swapped out the Marz for a Reba Race. Almost 1.5 lbs savings!
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    I'll be swapping over my seat, post, cranks, BB, fork, and wheelset from my Anthem 2 onto the new XTC. I may swap the stem and bars too...but I'm not sure how the fit will work out. The Anthem will be put back together with the corresponding parts from the XTC and put up for sale.
    What bothers you about the Anthem? I want to sell my XTC for an Anthem. Hardtails just aren't fast on anything rougher than a fire road...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    What bothers you about the Anthem? I want to sell my XTC for an Anthem. Hardtails just aren't fast on anything rougher than a fire road...
    My only issue was fitment. The bike sold me a L frame and I am 6'4" (34" inseam). I had some fitment issues since day one so I tried a few different things which only made it worse. We stormed back to the LBS who assured me the frame was the correct size. To ease my mind he brought out his Anthem 1 that he races...same L frame and he is the same height/proportions as me. So I rode it as is for a year. I figured I would get accustomed to the neck/back pains or maybe they'd just go away.

In April my wife gave me a Monocog 29'er for my birthday. The bike was purchased from a different LBS. They measured me up and ordered an XL frame. Amazingly all my post ride neck and back pains were gone with this bike. I got back on the Anthem to ride the same trails and the neck/back discomfort came right back.

So I take the Anthem to a couple different LBS in the area. Both state that the frame is simply too small and nothing could be done to cure my fitment issues without jeopardizing the bike's handling.

Long story short...the Anthem is too small for me. My jaunts on the Monocog also made me realize I am much faster and more confident on a hardtail than a full suspension. I always switched on the Propedal on my shock, so it was as if I were riding a heavy hardtail in the first place.

If you are interested, my Anthem 2 will be up for sale in probably 1-2 weeks.
    Signature

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    My only issue was fitment. The bike sold me a L frame and I am 6'4" (34" inseam). I had some fitment issues since day one so I tried a few different things which only made it worse. We stormed back to the LBS who assured me the frame was the correct size. To ease my mind he brought out his Anthem 1 that he races...same L frame and he is the same height/proportions as me. So I rode it as is for a year. I figured I would get accustomed to the neck/back pains or maybe they'd just go away.

In April my wife gave me a Monocog 29'er for my birthday. The bike was purchased from a different LBS. They measured me up and ordered an XL frame. Amazingly all my post ride neck and back pains were gone with this bike. I got back on the Anthem to ride the same trails and the neck/back discomfort came right back.

So I take the Anthem to a couple different LBS in the area. Both state that the frame is simply too small and nothing could be done to cure my fitment issues without jeopardizing the bike's handling.

Long story short...the Anthem is too small for me. My jaunts on the Monocog also made me realize I am much faster and more confident on a hardtail than a full suspension. I always switched on the Propedal on my shock, so it was as if I were riding a heavy hardtail in the first place.

If you are interested, my Anthem 2 will be up for sale in probably 1-2 weeks.
    Yep, being in-between sizes always makes things tricky. I'm between M and L on many frames, but I think I'll go for a L Anthem. My M XTC doesn't climb well; even with 100mm stem the front wanders. A bigger frame should allow me to shift the seat forward a bit and centralise mass....
    The hardtail is fine but always being out of the saddle on singletrack is tiring, esp after riding the Reign....