mtbr member

XTC Advanced SL rear brake hose routing and cable rattle?

I just picked up my new XTC SL 29 - ordered it about 5 months ago. It was worth the wait - and I haven't even put on the pedals yet!!! 21 lb 11oz totally stock without pedals.

I am a little confused on the rear brake hose routing though. It was built with the hose running down the outside of the down tube, like the website and the few pics I have seen here.

The weird thing is there is also the provision to run it internal (oversized hole near the head tube and a plugged exit hole on the chain stay). The external routing required Giant to put in 3 aluminum inserts and two riveted hose guides.

Any body know why they would do both?!? I would like to change it to internal...I think.

This is my first bike with internal anything and my first carbon bike so maybe this is typical?

Also, the cables rattle really bad in the down tube when you lightly bounce the front tire. I have a few ideas to improve, wondering if anyone else has had this issue and fixed it.

Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    @BTLS, they dont put the rearbrakehose internal in the factory because of the extra time needed to do so. It is quite a tricky job to guide the brakehose through the frame. You need to completely remove the crank and pressfit. I stuffed an old t-shirt part in the lowertube to prevent ratteling. Don't know if it would rattle without but it is quiet now, even on rooted trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Had mine a little over two months already, and have done several races on it. The bike has at least over 300 miles, the last race was March 23rd; Xterra World Championship Guam of this year. The only issue, I had was the seat post broke in half, the seat stay where the post goes in, cracked and the top tube that connects to the seat stay also cracked. Finish the bike course mostly standing up, but did not beat the cut off time for the run. The course was brutal, but in the mean time, I am waiting for a new frame and seat post. With the cables, and brake lines. just leave it. You won"t even here it rattling on the course. The bike is quick and responsive.Go tubeless!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    KnNeef, How is the bike holding up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    inochi, she is just holding fine. Rode +/- 500km on it and no real problems. There was a little noice in the realwheel which was caused bij the quick release which had to be tightened a little bit more. And my crankset had to be tightened again, it had a bit tolerance. But those were all upgrades I installed myself, so nothing to blame the bike. Bad to hear youre bike broke, I don't have any issues with the bike.

mtbr member
    I re-routed mine internally, and there were a couple of cable liners rattling round in the bb area for some reason from factory? Much quieter afterward and looks heaps cleaner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brockman View Post
    I re-routed mine internally, and there were a couple of cable liners rattling round in the bb area for some reason from factory? Much quieter afterward and looks heaps cleaner.
    All - thanks for the info.

Brockman - Was it tough to bleed the brakes after? Which end of the hose did you remove (caliper or handlebar)?

Thanks!