mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Xtc 29 pictures thread?

HI,
    Looking for an early picture thread with the XTC 29 alloy.
    Thanx,
    Max

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    Giant XTC 29er

there you go

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanx for that and I did try a search,honest!!
    Max

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi have recently purchased the 29er composite and the frame cracked giant are saying they will not warrant the issue even though they have only seen pictures? Can anyone offer any advice?? Or have experienced simlair issue?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverhea View Post
    Hi have recently purchased the 29er composite and the frame cracked giant are saying they will not warrant the issue even though they have only seen pictures? Can anyone offer any advice?? Or have experienced simlair issue?
    i've cracked a frame once. its not a nice feeling. i was lucky enough to get it replaced though.

I also own a 29er composite xtc. personally i'm a little bit concerned about the underside of its downtube and with rocks kicking up from the front wheel i'm not sure its strong enough. Its hard to comment on your situation without seeing photos though. Is there any impact damage on the frame? Maybe they can do you a crash replacement frame at the least...meaning give u a frame at cost price or something?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 911Holy$ View Post
    i've cracked a frame once. its not a nice feeling. i was lucky enough to get it replaced though.

I also own a 29er composite xtc. personally i'm a little bit concerned about the underside of its downtube and with rocks kicking up from the front wheel i'm not sure its strong enough. Its hard to comment on your situation without seeing photos though. Is there any impact damage on the frame? Maybe they can do you a crash replacement frame at the least...meaning give u a frame at cost price or something?
    no damage but the crack! the bike is mint. I have spoken to the giant rep again today, he has said that he will offer crash replacement even though it has not been crashed and there is no other mark on it. Obviously i am not satisfied with this. He has suggested it has been damaged in transit or intentionally. The frame does appear very flimsy in places with alot of flex in the oversize tubes. I have also spoken to my solicitor who advised i make a claim against my local bike shop with it only been a month old which i really donít want to have to do

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    hopefully i have posted pics of damage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xtc 29 pictures thread?-img_2185.jpg  

Xtc 29 pictures thread?-img_2186.jpg  

Xtc 29 pictures thread?-img_2187.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    well thats the kind of xtc photos people prob dont want to see here. I wish i could comment more and say they should warranty the frame but i'm no expert. i know i didnt enjoy the whole experience of a cracked frame when it happened to me. Its pretty horrible experience. i hope it works out for you.

At some point you may have to cut your loses. If it was me i'd probably end up taking up the frame replacement offer, hopefully they are offering that at cost price to you at the very least, and depending on price i'd repair the other (as others have stated in 29er forum) - but i know that probably doesnt feel like a great deal to you at the moment.you are most certainly pretty angry. I know i worry about damaging my bike in transit a bit. Also a little worried about leaving my bikes out of sight too long. I know a story of some one who parked his at work and someone must have dropped or hit on the toptube and then the thing eventually cracked. If you do get a new frame maybe putting some of this stuff on it might spare you a little worry, i'm thinking of put 2 layers on the underside (and then some) myself:

Frameskin for 2012 Giant XTC 29

goodluck though. hope it all works out for you

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That sucks dude I would be so totally pissed off, looks like a frame failure to me. I see no impact damage in the picture but I can see the whole chain stay but I would really push for a new frame, skip the local rep and call some one higher up, trust me a little tenacity goes along way.

I would email the CEO or someone higher up about the whole thing, you might be surprised and get a new frame. Send pictures and tell them your local rep wont warranty a 30 day old bike. Whats the worst that can happen, nothing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    That sucks dude I would be so totally pissed off, looks like a frame failure to me. I see no impact damage in the picture but I can see the whole chain stay but I would really push for a new frame, skip the local rep and call some one higher up, trust me a little tenacity goes along way.

I would email the CEO or someone higher up about the whole thing, you might be surprised and get a new frame. Send pictures and tell them your local rep wont warranty a 30 day old bike. Whats the worst that can happen, nothing.
    Good luck trying to get anywhere with Giant. The contact info is nonexistant. You are forced to go through the LBS for all Giant inquiries. I agree that frame should be warrantied. I'm pretty sure I'd have no problem getting it warrantied through my shop. If they deny it I'd at least go with the frame replacement deal.

That's one reason I wont go with a carbon framed bike. Best of luck getting that issue resolved.