Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: XTC 2 29er 2X10

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

XTC 2 29er 2X10

Anyone know if there are any clearance issues with the XTC 29er and a 2X10 setup?
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    No issues as long as you don't run the narrow 156 Q Factor XX SRAM crank, I run my XTC carbon with XT 2x10 with no issues

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Cool, what the hell size BB do we have, I cant find jack on any website that fits the 90 MM BB I have on mine, everything is 68-73. I measured it and its 90 so I take it its the BB90 24 mm spindle but like I said chain reaction and jenson have didly for it unless I am measuring it wrong.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    OK just got the number off the BB says SM BB 71-41 so WTF? How do they measure the BB shell then, I took my callipers and it measures 90 MM across the bottom of the bike where the BB is housed, jesus they made the new BB to damn confusing lol.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    so any updates on your bike? I have a 2012 on order so im curious to see what your doing..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    OK just got the number off the BB says SM BB 71-41 so WTF? How do they measure the BB shell then, I took my callipers and it measures 90 MM across the bottom of the bike where the BB is housed, jesus they made the new BB to damn confusing lol.
    It's the same as a 68 or 73mm BB. Those measurements are @ the bike frame without bearings or spacers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoots View Post
    so any updates on your bike? I have a 2012 on order so im curious to see what your doing..
    I am getting it back next Friday from getting painted, the grey colour just wasn't going with my whole rebuild scheme. I plan on putting it back together the week after as I am waiting for some stickers to come in for the frame. I do have all my new parts in a box waiting to be freed. I will be posting pics through the build process, this is my first fully customized MTB. I am keeping my Original cranks and got two new chaingrings from Raceface for a 2x10 26 x36 setup and a hope bash guard.

On the BB issue it is a BB90 the 68-73 is the actual frame size with out bearings, the external bearings make it 90. Mine is pressfit so 90 is the actual width of the frame where the BB is pressed in. I ordered a raceface BB90 replacement which allows me to run Shimano Hollow Tech II or raceface Type X cranks. Even the guy at my LBS said he wish they would stop with making so many different BB, even TREK has there own Press fit system.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    kool, cant wait to see how it comes together..
    I guess the stock bb is quite heavy compared to the hollowtech?
    is yours a 2012 or 2011?
    My 2012 just came into the shop yesterday and i had them hoist up on the scale and was shocked to see it was 26lbs with all the stock parts/pedals/reflectors/tags etc on it.
    I'm 5'6" and have about 1.5 - 2 inchs of standover.. so its pretty much the perfect size for me.. I'm really liking this bike... I will stay tuned to your progress.. thank you
    I am getting it back next Friday from getting painted, the grey colour just wasn't going with my whole rebuild scheme. I plan on putting it back together the week after as I am waiting for some stickers to come in for the frame. I do have all my new parts in a box waiting to be freed. I will be posting pics through the build process, this is my first fully customized MTB. I am keeping my Original cranks and got two new chaingrings from Raceface for a 2x10 26 x36 setup and a hope bash guard.

On the BB issue it is a BB90 the 68-73 is the actual frame size with out bearings, the external bearings make it 90. Mine is pressfit so 90 is the actual width of the frame where the BB is pressed in. I ordered a raceface BB90 replacement which allows me to run Shimano Hollow Tech II or raceface Type X cranks. Even the guy at my LBS said he wish they would stop with making so many different BB, even TREK has there own Press fit system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    NO I had to replace the BB as I kinda wrecked one cup removing the BB with a socket, no LBS had a pressfit bearing remover and I had ordered that tool plus some other bearing press and what not from park but they haven't arrived and I need it apart for the painter . Those cups are plastic and the raceface one uses aluminium cups. Siting here with new parts and no bike is driving me insane, whats worse is the next 2 months are going be be no riding uggg I hate winter. The GF bike goes in for painting after xmas, she has a trek fuel and we are getting it painted pink for her. She bought it used and I have been rebuilding it slowly, its her first year riding as we just met before summer. Took her out on a friends bike and she has been hooked ever since. I got her on all the tuff stuff right away and she has progressed so far in a few short months with a few scars to prove it.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    are you having it powder coated or traditional paint job?
    NO I had to replace the BB as I kinda wrecked one cup removing the BB with a socket, no LBS had a pressfit bearing remover and I had ordered that tool plus some other bearing press and what not from park but they haven't arrived and I need it apart for the painter . Those cups are plastic and the raceface one uses aluminium cups. Siting here with new parts and no bike is driving me insane, whats worse is the next 2 months are going be be no riding uggg I hate winter. The GF bike goes in for painting after xmas, she has a trek fuel and we are getting it painted pink for her. She bought it used and I have been rebuilding it slowly, its her first year riding as we just met before summer. Took her out on a friends bike and she has been hooked ever since. I got her on all the tuff stuff right away and she has progressed so far in a few short months with a few scars to prove it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Mine is getting powder coated hers I am not sure. I might have to order some special colour powder from a place in the US and have someone spray and bake it for me. Another option is a guy at work paints cars and he said he would do it for me with just cost of materials, she is just getting the main triangle painted and its a 15" bike so the frame is pretty damn small. The rear triangle I stripped and polished all the parts and with the pink mainframe I think the contrast will look good. I know she is excited to get it done. LBS has a nice set of mavic wheels they built and are selling at a great price I might surprise her and buy them.

Mines a 2012 XTC 2 what one did you get?
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    kool, I got the 2012 model as well. I like the color scheme though...
    what color are you having it done it?

Mine is getting powder coated hers I am not sure. I might have to order some special colour powder from a place in the US and have someone spray and bake it for me. Another option is a guy at work paints cars and he said he would do it for me with just cost of materials, she is just getting the main triangle painted and its a 15" bike so the frame is pretty damn small. The rear triangle I stripped and polished all the parts and with the pink mainframe I think the contrast will look good. I know she is excited to get it done. LBS has a nice set of mavic wheels they built and are selling at a great price I might surprise her and buy them.

Mines a 2012 XTC 2 what one did you get?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    let the modding begin... I just ordered Sram X9 15TA Front and 10x135 Rear Hubs with Stanís Arch EX 29er rims in black with black DT Comp spokes. so this will be first upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    let the modding begin... I just ordered Sram X9 15TA Front and 10x135 Rear Hubs with Stanís Arch EX 29er rims in black with black DT Comp spokes. so this will be first upgrade.
    Sweet, I have the ZTR arch EX white with black DT spoke, red nipples, RED Hope Hubs and the red hope razor rotors, it looks off the hook.
    I am getting the bike gloss white and going to have black GIANT stickers on the down tube and the Klingon High command symbol on the head tube. Yeah I am a treky plus it just looks frigin cool ass. Not many will know what the hell it is. I will post some picks of my parts if I can remember my photo bucket login LOL.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice! i figured you chose white considering that you can only find white forks these days...yes, please find those pics and post them!!!
    Sweet, I have the ZTR arch EX white with black DT spoke, red nipples, RED Hope Hubs and the red hope razor rotors, it looks off the hook.
    I am getting the bike gloss white and going to have black GIANT stickers on the down tube and the Klingon High command symbol on the head tube. Yeah I am a treky plus it just looks frigin cool ass. Not many will know what the hell it is. I will post some picks of my parts if I can remember my photo bucket login LOL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    OK heres are some pics
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    OK this is the original cranks I stripped and polished and added a bashgard since it will be going 2x10
    Photobucket
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    nice contrast on the wheels... I like them a lot..
    quick question.. how much lighter is the wheel configuration compared to the stock sxc2 wheels?
    and what tires will you be using? the stockers?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    here is one of the bike when I just got the wheels built, it has the old rots on the hubs and all the other original parts. As a side note order yourself a new derailleur, the stock one sucks hard, ghost shifts alot and has a lot of chain slap, put an SLX or XT on it and it stops it.
    Photobucket
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    nice contrast on the wheels... I like them a lot..
    quick question.. how much lighter is the wheel configuration compared to the stock sxc2 wheels?
    and what tires will you be using? the stockers?
    Not sure on weight but these are allot lighter and it has an XT cassette now as well. For tires I run a specialized control on the front and a maxis cross mark on the back I didnt like the stock tires at all, I found them to be very loose. I corner very fast and I need my tire to hold and the schwables didn't do the job.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    and you when from a 9 cassette to a 10? what all went into doing that swap?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well the cassette, chain, shifter and thats about it, the rear derailleur can be swapped for a 10x if your going to change it as I suggested earlier, the stock one sucks. The 9 and 10 speed cassettes fit on the same freewheels. I just bought new everything and went sram X9 on my derailleurs and shifters, I find they just shift way better then Shimano. Just ride what you got for a season and see how you like it. I love how the bike handles and thats why I spent the money to make it my total custom, I have been riding 20 years and this is the first time I have built one this way and I am having a blast doing it.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i agree about how the bike rides...i feel very comfortable on it and its so nimble... even more so im guessing with the stans wheels and x9 hubs im guessing.
    just be removing the reflectors and swapping wheels i should be under 25lbs...
    keep me posted and dont be shy with the pics..

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Frame is in, my raceface chainrings, BB and carbon seatpost came in yesterday, GF has to work tonight so let the assembley begin. Will post pics thorugh the stages, this is going to be fun LOL.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    sweet, yes definitely post pics..
    cant wait to see it.

Frame is in, my raceface chainrings, BB and carbon seatpost came in yesterday, GF has to work tonight so let the assembley begin. Will post pics thorugh the stages, this is going to be fun LOL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    OK here we go
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket