mtbr member
    Oct 2004

XTC 2 2009 size?

What size would you recommend for a 1,74 m tall guy, looking for a XC rig that is going to be ridden mostly on alpine trails. I am leaning toward 16˝ but i have to see it and try it in person, since my dealer only has M and L sizes.
    Could you post some photos of 16˝ alu xtcs to get an idea what it looks like.

I am also considering some other alternatives like trek 6700 (M) or specialized rockhopper pro 17˝ and Kona Kula 17˝ which suit me better by geometry table, i have to testride them though. Some comparison on those bikes would be very welcome also. Thanks in advance.

Crash Guru
    16" sounds a bit small... im 1.80m and i take a 20"frame, (Large), so id recommend you dont go below 19". I have a friend with one and hes 1.70m with a 21", and its only slightly too big for him. Make sure you try those Large and Medium ones before you go after a 16".

Im in Australia, so things could be different, but id think sizing would be the same. Let me know if im wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer @msn.com
    Your no longer a virgin... and your ass hurts?
    I think you're doing something wrong there

Live Free or Ride!
    Ya I'd say you're either a medium or large, definately not a small. I'm 182cm and have a Large frame.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for both replies.

Yesterday I went to my local dealer as he found one xtc 1 Small 2008 in his warehouse so I could try S and M size and eventually decided zo go with 16˝. The reason is that actual top tube length for S is 575mm which is what most other xc rigs are with 17˝ and M(17˝) sizes. Though height wasnt the problem with M, I just could not feel comfortable and agility was awkward for my height.

Also dealer said that when giant went from 17˝ to 16˝ some years ago, they kept the top tube size at 575mm. So it was more logical for me to go with S than with M.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm 175cm on 16" 2009 XTC. You made the correct choice.