mtbr member
    Jun 2004

XTC 2 '04 or '03

I can get a '03 XTC 2 for around $850 or a '04 for around $1050 and having trouble. Frame is nearly the same but change in fork from Skareb to Duke U-turn. Some have reported the Skareb fork breaking bad. Should I go for the new set-up or save a few bucks and try to get LBS to change out fork? Also still looking hard to GF Big Sur and Spec. Stump Jump.,, Looking for good hardtail with ability to do entry level racing one day. Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnsheep
    I can get a '03 XTC 2 for around $850 or a '04 for around $1050 and having trouble. Frame is nearly the same but change in fork from Skareb to Duke U-turn. Some have reported the Skareb fork breaking bad. Should I go for the new set-up or save a few bucks and try to get LBS to change out fork? Also still looking hard to GF Big Sur and Spec. Stump Jump.,, Looking for good hardtail with ability to do entry level racing one day. Thanks for any input.
    Just looked into GIANT web site, and 04 is better than 03 in terms of parts (few) but it's really up to you?
    Can you afford $1050? If it was me, I would go for the 2004. Its the same animal (bike) just different parts (name) and the ride might be different to Duke fork than Skareb.

cheers

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    Just looked into GIANT web site, and 04 is better than 03 in terms of parts (few) but it's really up to you?
    Can you afford $1050? If it was me, I would go for the 2004. Its the same animal (bike) just different parts (name) and the ride might be different to Duke fork than Skareb.

cheers
    Might sound weird, but I'd say get the 03.... the skareb is a better race fork hands down..... and if you do manage to break it, then it should be warrantied and possibly upgraded for free!
    BTW, if you do get the 03, just keep a eye on the reverse arch as that is where most of the breakages happened.
    Either way, you will be very happy no matter what you choose

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I have the 03

and from what I read, the difference in parts is basically going from titec to easton aluminum (seat post, handle, stem). me being a novice, its negligible. I like the skareb comp, no problems, fully adjustable. I personally would go for the 03 and save the cash. I have not had a single problem with mine, doing XC racing or just long XC rides. I also like the black frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

thanks for input

thanks for everyones input, going to do some more test riding this weekend.