Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: X1 Noise

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rydog9991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    285

    X1 Noise

    Went for a ride yesterday, and about a mile into it I started hearing a clicking noise. At first I thought it was just the little rocks being kicked up against the bottom of the down tube (this is exactly what it sounded like, I'm sure you've heard this noise if you have a TX). Then I noticed that it was only doing it when I was pedaling. I checked for twigs or anything..nothing. So, I released the rear QR and there was the noise! It did it again when I tightend it too. The noise is comming from the seat stay and the chain stay. Sounds like its only the left side. To recap...A creaking, clicking noise that sounds like pebbles against the down tube (but its not) that only happens when pedaling (somewhat hard) and when I release and tighten the QR you can hear it in the seat and chanstays. What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,420
    [SIZE=2]You seem to be having a bad time with your X1, Iíd check all the pivots are tight, the spokes, play in the hub, tires touching and check for and cracks and the BB isnít ****ed.

    You seem to be closing in on my record of unsolvable problems that I had with my Stumpy.
    [/SIZE]

  3. #3
    beer is too easy to drink
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    118
    It seams random but sometimes the cable stops on the frame can make a cracking noise as the susp. moves. You can check it buy moving the cable housing and see if it makes noise. If it is an easy fix is to just put a little grease on the ferrules then put them back in the stops.
    six pack cooler coming soon!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rydog9991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]You seem to be having a bad time with your X1, Iíd check all the pivots are tight, the spokes, play in the hub, tires touching and check for and cracks and the BB isnít ****ed.

    You seem to be closing in on my record of unsolvable problems that I had with my Stumpy.
    [/SIZE]
    Yeah its been pretty frustrating! I just had it tuned up a week ago so everything should be good. I've checked over everthing and it's all tight, lubed, etc. I lubed all the cable stays too. I know its the stays because I can hear it when creak when I open and close the rear QR. I can even grab both stays with my hand jerk a little (without moving any suspension) and they make the cracking noise. I cant believe it would be a bad rear triangle?

    By the way EGF my brakes still squak a little, had them rebuilt twice now. I just live with it, due to the fact that I love the bike.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sim2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,339
    My Xo had the same or at the least similar sound, which turned out to be a loose bearing on the RHS. Torqued it all up and no probs since then, and I have to say that I was a bit lax on this months maintanence due to work flow otherwise it wold be fine.

    I changed the juicies to hope and the squeel is gone. But...the brakes are fine themselves. When I cleaned them with alcohol (not the driking form of course) they were seriously squeely afterwards until about 2 DH runs with me intentionally on the brakes to burn off any residue - which by all accounts there should not be), before replacing them and after 2 runs they were back to normal.

  6. #6
    Scuffed
    Reputation: Amber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    174
    I had the cable stops causing that noise to.
    [SIZE=4]NO REIGN NO GAIN
    ......MMmmmm
    [/SIZE]

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rydog9991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    My Xo had the same or at the least similar sound, which turned out to be a loose bearing on the RHS. Torqued it all up and no probs since then, and I have to say that I was a bit lax on this months maintanence due to work flow otherwise it wold be fine.

    I changed the juicies to hope and the squeel is gone. But...the brakes are fine themselves. When I cleaned them with alcohol (not the driking form of course) they were seriously squeely afterwards until about 2 DH runs with me intentionally on the brakes to burn off any residue - which by all accounts there should not be), before replacing them and after 2 runs they were back to normal.
    Do you have the torque ratings for the pivot bearings? Or anyone for that matter? It would save me a 30 mile one way trip to the LBS if that was it.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    55
    i have an x1 and it developed a little noise in one of the cable stops after a few rides, haven't gotten around to taking care of it yet though ... on the first ride it had a nasty cracking noise after a little while, and it turned out to be the lower shock mount ... i pulled the bolt and greased it and all contact points, and it went away

  9. #9
    Johny Sokko!
    Reputation: Stoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    300
    Pour some water (not spray) over the area you think that is causing the creak. Ride the bike, if it goes away then you know what it is. It does not hurt to check your torque ratings (do a search in this site). Make sure your seat post is a got a small layer of lube too.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rydog9991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    285
    I got it! (for now at least, I think). Was just about to head out the door to make the 30 mile trek to the LBS when....LUBE THE QR! DUUUHHHHH! So far so good! Thanks fellas.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1
    Have an X1 as well with a serious creaking noise while pedaling. First started to notice the noise around the 8th or 9th ride on it. Got really "creaky" by the next ride. Was extremely noticeable when pedaling with any sort of force. Could reproduce the noise 100% in the parking lot but just accelerating hard.

    Took it into the LBS and it was quickly diagnosed as the OEM quick release skewers that came with the bike. The LBS replaced the skewers in favor of some Giant ones and that mostly eliminated the noise.

    However, several bike rides later, I'm getting the creaking again. There's a small creak coming under normal pedal load on a flat trail and as mentioned sounds like rocks hitting the frame, but it's not. On a climb, especially a switchback, the creaking resonates through the entire frame and is very pronounced.

    One local rider said to have the LBS look into the bushings. Another said it sounded like a loose pivot point. All the obvious bolts appear to be properly tightened.

    Will have to take it back in but, somewhat, glad to hear that others are having a similar issue. Otherwise, the bike is performing amazing.

    Regarding the comment about lubing the quick release. Are you doing the axle skewer itself, or just the levers? If so, what type of lube is recommended?

    Thanks,
    Kenny

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rydog9991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc
    Have an X1 as well with a serious creaking noise while pedaling. First started to notice the noise around the 8th or 9th ride on it. Got really "creaky" by the next ride. Was extremely noticeable when pedaling with any sort of force. Could reproduce the noise 100% in the parking lot but just accelerating hard.

    Took it into the LBS and it was quickly diagnosed as the OEM quick release skewers that came with the bike. The LBS replaced the skewers in favor of some Giant ones and that mostly eliminated the noise.

    However, several bike rides later, I'm getting the creaking again. There's a small creak coming under normal pedal load on a flat trail and as mentioned sounds like rocks hitting the frame, but it's not. On a climb, especially a switchback, the creaking resonates through the entire frame and is very pronounced.

    One local rider said to have the LBS look into the bushings. Another said it sounded like a loose pivot point. All the obvious bolts appear to be properly tightened.

    Will have to take it back in but, somewhat, glad to hear that others are having a similar issue. Otherwise, the bike is performing amazing.

    Regarding the comment about lubing the quick release. Are you doing the axle skewer itself, or just the levers? If so, what type of lube is recommended?

    Thanks,
    Kenny
    I just used some Park Tools Poly Lube 1000 on the levers and worked them in a little by flipping the lever back and forth about 20 times. So far so good! Good Luck

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sim2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,339
    I took off all my bearings and pivots and re-greased them accordingly then torques them as such. No probs. But we all must realize that our bikes DO need regular maintenence even after EVERY ride. Even when I ride locally around the Bhuda Trail, which is like a Black Trail for Dh & Fr with some serious Xc on the way back up, I always check my bike, clean it, lube what ever needs to be lubed and then place it back on the mantle when not in use - which is generally always and at least 5 times a week and serious riding each and most weekends.

    Not to say many peeps on do not do regular maintenece...but some people get a bike, ride it like they stole it and then their concept of regular maintenence is pumping the tyres, checking shock pressure and maybe wiping the rotors - if at all, with some kind of rag...rolf.

    The holy trinity of bike maintenence: 1) Check... 2) Clean.... 3) Lube...

  14. #14
    Ex MTBdirt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    226
    '08 Trance 1 owner, same noise.
    Hope skewers, now lubed. Cable stops, now lubed. Seatpost cleaned and lightly greased. Seat removed and seatclamp cleaned. BB tightened (Race Face), cranks tightened. Pivots cleaned and re-greased.
    Noise remains, driving me insane.

  15. #15
    mistereckz
    Guest
    Had/having a similar problem my with '08 reign X. Cable stops clicking even after greasing...why the interrupted cables anyway? Bottom shock bolt/mount was clicking; tightened and greased, and seems to have taken care of that. Now seat collar/post is clicking.
    Small issues, but damn anoying. The bike has only been out 3-4 times. Seems like every time it's a new noise. Just want to enjoy my new ride...love this bike by the way!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sim2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,339
    Your problem may not be related to your cable (and what do you mean it stops clicking...? You mean gear shifts...?) What kind of noise and where...could you descibe it with more dexterity other than saying you have noise...lol

    Bikes tend to make noise, its their nature as they are bombing down the moutain, because we have not yet made a silent drive for them. Serious guys, there is noise in EVERY bike and noobs tend to be paranoide about every little click or ding assuming that their new pride and joy is designed to be a quiet mountain bombing princess. If your bike has only been out 3/4 times, its highly likely that the noise is normal...I am assuming here because there is not enough info that you have given.

  17. #17
    Ex MTBdirt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    226
    Ok, I thought of something last night. Having just replaced the Derailleur hanger and rear derailleur (both only 4weeks old, stick through wheel), I double checked the tightness of both. The hanger was a smidge loose. Tightened it and now there is no noise. Yay.

  18. #18
    mistereckz
    Guest
    Sim2u, I have been the proud owner of many a mountain bike, and am very aware of the inharent sounds that they make. Yet, a bike should not be clicking, creaking, or cracking. This is a sign that something is wrong. Ignoring these kinds of sounds can lead to problems down the trail. I'm not saying that every sound is worthy of a congressional investigation, but you should at least be aware of what the sound is.
    I had what I thoght was a creaky seatpost...ignored it...ended up being a cracked seat tube/top tube junction. Thank god I got pissed one day and decided to take a closer look before it cracked off completely
    In answer to your statement...Cable stops are where the cable housing "stops" and the cable is then exposed...many bikes have them.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sim2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,339
    OK...Im raising the idiot flag here....!

    I never asked you what a cable stop was, perhaps if you try reading you may find out something you think you know is actually something you dont know...!

    My gosh I cant believe I am going to do this but just for you I will, I will self quote (insert sigh)

    Your problem may not be related to your cable (and what do you mean it stops clicking...? You mean gear shifts...?) What kind of noise and where...could you descibe it with more dexterity other than saying you have noise...lol

  20. #20
    mistereckz
    Guest
    Yes, you are a genius! I am sure that you have never written anything grammatically questionable. Really, I think it was quite clear what I was trying to say. All hail Sim2u, lord of articulation and master of the written English language.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sim2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,339
    Thank you...now bow down, kiss my feet then fetch me a beer and finally clean my bike like a good whipping boy...J/K

    Not at all...gosh, you read some of my past posts and I am just as dyslectic and mentally underpowered as the next genius, he he he TIC there.

    Sorry, I did not mean to be offensive there...so pry open a beer with that marque smile and cheers {Cha-chink}...

    I guess my main point was to try to limit your description and explanation somewhat because yes, as you know bikes make noise at time...they do click (gears) and they do occasionally groan (spoke/ wheel stress) and they make an absolute racket when smacking the face of the nearest trail with gusto. But as you say a cracking noise is NOT normal and is usually a bad sound and can also be attributed to a couple of things and frame disfunction or failure is perhaps the worst.

    But anyway...dont be afraid to give me sh!t sometimes in a good old humored way cause I can make just as many stupid mistakes as anyone and have done...only human after all and my memory is about as good as...well, I cant remember what the comparative is as good as, but its pretty naff. Something to do with age an age related disfunction...?

    Quote Originally Posted by mistereckz
    Yes, you are a genius! I am sure that you have never written anything grammatically questionable. Really, I think it was quite clear what I was trying to say. All hail Sim2u, lord of articulation and master of the written English language.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    783

    that rear d hangar can be a real PIA!

    I would remove it, clean both the bolt, nut and the hangar itself where it fits into the frame, lube everything up, replace everything, then wipe off any excess grease..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •