mtbr member
    Nov 2013

New question here. X-post: Rear Fox Float CTD Noob Questions

Bought a used 2013 Giant Trance. The previous owner said he had the shock "upgraded" by Fox but it didn't seem to be through the official Fox re-valve program. He was vague and didn't have any documentation. Whatever. The stickers on the shock says the following:

Boost Valve Tune 250, Rebound Tune M, Velocity Tune L.

Are these settings standard for the Giant Trance and Large frame size? What does the 250 mean? Is it geared for a 250lb rider? Is 250 lbs the max air pressure I could use? I'm confused on what that represents. Also, does "Velocity Tune L" stand for Large or Low? I'm 205 lbs and the shock in all settings doesn't seem stiff enough (coming from dirt bikes).

When you bunny hop on your bike, how much travel do you use?

Secondly, Is it normal to have the indicator rubber o-ring on the shock all the way at the end of the travel distance after a trail ride? I would have guessed you would want to end the ride with some amount of travel un-used. If in the event of a big drop the shock just blows any excess pressure out, should I keep the shock on the firmest setting that uses all of the travel? That is, if I'm using all the travel in climb mode, why would I ever use descend mode?

Finally, the CTD indicator dial can swing past the "D" setting (see pic). Whats going on here and will the shock perform any differently in this zone than the "D" setting?

Thanks for your input and help guys.

After searching the site and the web, I couldn't seem to find any answers to this so I'll update my post as we go for future reference.

Xpost from the suspension forum....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My 2014 Trance blows through its travel too. I have read other posts on here of folks saying they have the same problem. I'm going to be installing the Fox Volume Spacer Kit to see if it helps at all.

Can't answer your questions as to the tune but am curious myself to see what those terms mean.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hespeler View Post
    My 2014 Trance blows through its travel too. I have read other posts on here of folks saying they have the same problem. I'm going to be installing the Fox Volume Spacer Kit to see if it helps at all.

Can't answer your questions as to the tune but am curious myself to see what those terms mean.
    When you say "blows through the travel" are you saying you are bottoming out (and feeling the bike bottom out) or that the indicator o-ring is at the bottom of the travel?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The indicator o-ring is at the bottom of the travel, no matter how much psi I use.

It doesn't really feel like it's bottoming out but I also haven't had a chance to take it on anything too intense yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just called Fox directly. They were helpful and timely. Call notes:

Boost Valve Tune 250, Rebound Tune M, Velocity Tune L. <- These are the factory setting for a 2013 giant trance.

Boot valve Tune 250 is a relative number that describes spring rate. 300 being stiffer than 200.
    Velocity tune describes ONLY the compression stroke

The CTD can safely swing past "D" and offers no difference in performance than the "D" setting.

The CTD only affects the low speed compression.

Because of the non-linear compression, the indicator o-ring should be near the bottom of travel every time.

Max air pressure for fox float CTD is 300 psi.