Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Wow...it looks like art

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Hollis 
#1 · (Edited)
Big tubes
Curves
Oh my...how sexy :D

Thanks Brown Santa for not crushing my dream.

Although she looks mighty purdy naked on my bedroom floor,
I cant wait to gussy her up with some chi chi clothes.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
slowride said:
I'm intrigued by that square gusset on the downtube. On my AC that part is welded on, but yours seems to be a shaped tube. Or maybe they just cleaned up the welds?

Anyway, I like that color!
slowride, this gusset looks like that thanks to FluidForm technology. This technology was invented by taiwanese company named Kinetics. It uses (the technology) high pressured, hot (?) liquids (oil?) to change the shape of tubes. Tubes placed in special form are filled with the liquid and change shape. The are only few factories (or maybe Giant's only) which use FluidForm technology. You can see FluidForm on bikes of different brands, but majority of the come from Giant factory... e.g take a look at all new Santa Cruz bikes... ;)

#4 ·
Hydroformed tubes are nothing new and nothing that giant does exclusively. The tubes are nice and not many major bike manufacturers use this process, but it's been around for a while.

#5 ·
frango said:
slowride, this gusset looks like that thanks to FluidForm technology. This technology was invented by taiwanese company named Kinetics. It uses (the technology) high pressured, hot (?) liquids (oil?) to change the shape of tubes. Tubes placed in special form are filled with the liquid and change shape. The are only few factories (or maybe Giant's only) which use FluidForm technology. You can see FluidForm on bikes of different brands, but majority of the come from Giant factory... e.g take a look at all new Santa Cruz bikes... ;)
Too bad the new Santa Cruz bikes aren't fluid form, and all VPP bikes are built in Oregon.

-TS

#6 ·
That is hands-down the most beatiful bike I have ever seen. If they made an NRS in that color, I would buy it so fast. *Drools*

What color is that exactly. Its certainly beige-ish, unless its just the light.

#7 ·
en are es said:
That is hands-down the most beatiful bike I have ever seen. If they made an NRS in that color, I would buy it so fast. *Drools*

What color is that exactly. Its certainly beige-ish, unless its just the light.
it's silver; the photos are most likely edited (color) to make them look more artistic. you know, kinda like why some people take black-and-white photos instead of color, etc.

#11 ·
frango said:
Downtube gusset is not hydroformed. The toptube is though. The other gusset is what they call "mechanical integration," basically just the tube forced over a die.
Looks pretty damn cool though...

#13 ·
TheSherpa said:
Too bad the new Santa Cruz bikes aren't fluid form, and all VPP bikes are built in Oregon.

-TS
you are wrong my friend... as far as I know VP-Free, new V10 and Jackal are fluidformed and come from Giant factory...
BikeNerd2453, downtube gusset is fluidformed... I have got VT2
the "mechanical integration" is calles PressForm at Giant. You can find it on low-end Giant bikes from China.
;)

#14 ·
frango said:
you are wrong my friend... as far as I know VP-Free, new V10 and Jackal are fluidformed and come from Giant factory...
the "mechanical integration" is calles PressForm at Giant. You can find it on low-end Giant bikes from China.
;)
Yes, mechanical integration, glad you know the name!
The DT gussets are MI though, TT is "fluid-formed." Not knocking it at all, it's still lighter/stronger than welding on a gusset...
I have had NRS alloy, XTC alloy, VT, AC, etc...the list goes on...

#16 ·
frango said:
BikeNerd2453,
it seems I start a pointless discussion, again... ;)
but, pls tell me why do you think VT downtube gusset is MI not FluidFormed?
all information about the bike I have in office says it's FF...
Which office?
Just curious.
Something I'd heard through the grapevine from someone reputable...
Not trying to argue at all, and if you're right, no biggie. No sweat off of my back...

#17 ·
frango said:
;)
Your oh so very wrong. SC high end VPP bikes are built by Kinesis in OR. Trust me. But, there lower end single pivots and Cham is made in China, probably by Giant. I have no clue where the Jackal is made.

-TS

#19 ·
Roaming Oregon said:
What makes you so sure of that?
yeah, so many people on these forums who pose an argument, or claim info w/ out giving anything to back it up, please give us a link to where you got your info, otherwise we are relying on word (which we all naturally doubt on forums for some reason) and we are just swimming in rumors or "I heards.."
I'm not saying anybody is wrong, but I've seen this argument before, about Giant building many other brands bikes, but I never see solid evidence. ;)

#20 ·
BikeNerd2453, I work for Giant in Central Europe :)
TheSherpa, I don't think any SC is made in China... as far as I know, there is no bicycle factory in China which would be able to produce high-end bikes
BikeSATORI, "I heard it" from employees of the Giant's factory :)

I wonder why so many people cannot believe that a lot of high-end bikes are not produced by owners of brands... there are so many reasons to do so...

#21 · (Edited)
frango said:
TheSherpa, I don't think any SC is made in China... as far as I know, there is no bicycle factory in China which would be able to produce high-end bikes

I wonder why so many people cannot believe that a lot of high-end bikes are not produced by owners of brands... there are so many reasons to do so...
Ok, good for you. Guess I was off on the "TC's" info, I stand corrected, but you may want to make sure that folks in the North American offices are aware of that fact.
Anyway, right on bro.
Enjoy.

BN

*edit* Work for Giant, or a Giant distributer? Just curious...

#22 ·
frango said:

Well it's Santa Cruz's word vs. Giants word. I really don't care and i know SC V-10 is stamped from a sheet of metal so it's not fluidform. I'm REALLY hoping Giant comes out with a Maestro DH race bike next year.

-TS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.