Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: magentawave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    70

    Would you buy this used 2010 Giant XTC 2 29er for $650.00 or less?

    I've read lots of good stuff about the Giant XTC 2 and I'm thinking of checking out a used one for sale tomorrow.

    Here is what the seller says about this bike...

    - Medium frame.
    - Replaced front rotor with Shimano 203mm.
    - Replaced rear rotor with Shimano XT 180mm.
    - New Shimano XT chain.
    - New front Kenda Karma L3R PRO 29X2.20 with tube.
    - New rear Kenda Karma L3R PRO 29X1.90 with tube.
    - Replaced stock grips with Lizard grips.
    - On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being a brand new bike, he said this is a 7 to 8 due to a few small cosmetic scratches. The bike looks pretty clean in the photos.

    He's asking $650 for it and specifically said "no low ball offers" in his ad. Do you guys know how much a bike like this typically goes for used?

    Is there anything I should be looking especially close at?

    Thank you.

    Steve

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    22
    As far as things to look at I would start with the welds and frame to make sure there are no visible cracks. I would maybe find out why the items replaced were replaced, typically that is an indicator of how hard the bike was ridden.

    Try to do some eBay searches for a similar bike and you can get a good idea of what they are selling for. Also the last one to keep in mind is the fact that you dont have any frame warranty as the purchaser of a used bike. Certainly not an expert but you want to be careful when spending your hard earned dough!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: magentawave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    70
    Thanks for your reply.

    I read a few posts on this forum where people were having issues with the brakes on the Giant XTC 2 29er being kind of noisy so I think that is probably why he replaced the rotors. I will ask him. There is nothing like this on eBay at this time but maybe I'll check the completed listings.

    Thanks again.

    Steve

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    22
    I saw one on there earlier that is a 2010 XTC. I just searched "Giant XTC 29". I tried to post the link but it wouldn't let me yet because my post count isn't high enough.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: magentawave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    70
    Actually I did see that one on eBay but its across the country and I want to be able to see what I'm buying since its used. A 2009 XTC 2 29er sold recently on eBay for about $670.00 (plus $90.00 for shipping).

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    323
    Front rotor size may indicate harsh riding style (or wannabe harsh riding style), 203 is probably overkill for that bike.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: magentawave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo View Post
    Front rotor size may indicate harsh riding style (or wannabe harsh riding style), 203 is probably overkill for that bike.
    He said in a previous ad that he replaced the front rotor with 203mm "for powerful stops without flipping over."

    He also said in the same ad that he replaced the rear rotor with a 180mm so he could "slide around the switchback trail with no hard effort."

    I'm a newb to mountain biking, so do those things he said about braking and why he changed to larger rotors make sense to you?

    Thanks again.
    Steve

    P.S. I read a number of posts on this Giant forum here that a few complained that the stock rotors on the XTC 2 29er made a bunch of noise.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    323
    If 203 can't flip you over, I don't know what can :-).

    Unfortunately, I am not from the US, but you've got seriously good prices on new 29ers, so I would buy a new one for extra few hundred dolars compared to this one.

    If you really like it, here is a checklist you may find usefull:
    Buyer

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: magentawave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo View Post
    If 203 can't flip you over, I don't know what can :-).

    Unfortunately, I am not from the US, but you've got seriously good prices on new 29ers, so I would buy a new one for extra few hundred dolars compared to this one.

    If you really like it, here is a checklist you may find usefull:
    Buyer
    Thanks for the link to the "buyers check list." I will go over that.

    Locally that same bike new is going for close to $1500.00 so if I can get the used one at the price I'm hoping for then obviously a thousand bones more is a lot more than a "few hundred dollars."

    Steve

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    465
    Nice bike my friend rides one. One thing to check is the marz fork. His lock out stop working about 8 months after he purchased it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: magentawave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgang View Post
    Nice bike my friend rides one. One thing to check is the marz fork. His lock out stop working about 8 months after he purchased it.
    Thank you. I will keep that in mind.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    490
    The most important upgrade is the rear rotor replacement. I had a 2010 XTC 29er1 and the bike would shake violently when I applied force to rear brake which had been upgraded to an Avid Code 5's. Most of the problems disappeared after replacing my rear rotor with a XT two piece rotor. I wouldn't too much about too much braking power in front brake but it can get you trouble with the rear brake. On my bike I had upgraded the front and rear rotors to Shimano RT-76 two piece floating (203mm for the front an 160 mm for the back) rotors and the front rear brakes to Avid Code 5's. The Front brake had alot of power had was very controllable but the rear brake would lock up quite easily. I have Saints on some of my other bikes so I'm accustomed to using powerful brakes but even I was experiencing issues with rear end lockup. Note that I was running Schwalbe Fat Franks 29x2.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: magentawave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by mefistofeles View Post
    The most important upgrade is the rear rotor replacement. I had a 2010 XTC 29er1 and the bike would shake violently when I applied force to rear brake which had been upgraded to an Avid Code 5's. Most of the problems disappeared after replacing my rear rotor with a XT two piece rotor. I wouldn't too much about too much braking power in front brake but it can get you trouble with the rear brake. On my bike I had upgraded the front and rear rotors to Shimano RT-76 two piece floating (203mm for the front an 160 mm for the back) rotors and the front rear brakes to Avid Code 5's. The Front brake had alot of power had was very controllable but the rear brake would lock up quite easily. I have Saints on some of my other bikes so I'm accustomed to using powerful brakes but even I was experiencing issues with rear end lockup. Note that I was running Schwalbe Fat Franks 29x2.
    The seller said that the stock 160mm rotors weren't powerful enough and caused him to have to press the brake lever really hard to stop the bike. He said the larger rotors make the bike stop better and overheat less.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: magentawave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    70
    The front shock on this bike came with a Marzocchi Forty-Niner TST2 w/15QR Thru Axle and tapered steerer, 100mm travel.

    The seller said that a bike store repair guy told him Marzocchi shocks are running a lot longer without rebuilding over Fox shocks and proof of that is that friends of his with Fox shocks have had to have their shocks replaced or rebuilt a lot sooner. So even though the Marzocchi shock seems to be working fine now (but lockout doesn't work), he wonders if it might need rebuilding soon just cuz its two years old. Does anyone know about this stuff? And does anyone know typically how much it costs to pull a Marzocchi shock off a bike, rebuild it and put it back on?

    Thanks

    Steve

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ranger Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    If it was local I would get it if it looked nice. Oahu doesn't seem to get a lot of nice bike deals.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •