Trance 06
    Sep 2004

New question here. Worth buying Poplock adjust for 06 Reba SL?

I can get a poplock adjust at a good price. Is it worth getting? Do they work good? It will be on my 06 Trance 2. I like to climb steep single track. Any input would be nice. The Reba seems to be a real good fork from what I have read.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    if the current fork is not PopLoc compatible - like the SL - you will also need to change out some of the internals and fittings. so it's not a simple matter of adding a PopLoc trigger and cable.

it's do-able, but probably not as simple or cheap as you're thinking.

i have just the plain PopLoc on one REBA and it's a good feature. the PL Adjust would be better again. but i also have an SL on another bike, and i don't mind manually adjusting the compression if required; not a big deal.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny_car
    if the current fork is not PopLoc compatible - like the SL - you will also need to change out some of the internals and fittings. so it's not a simple matter of adding a PopLoc trigger and cable.

it's do-able, but probably not as simple or cheap as you're thinking.

i have just the plain PopLoc on one REBA and it's a good feature. the PL Adjust would be better again. but i also have an SL on another bike, and i don't mind manually adjusting the compression if required; not a big deal.

I have the PopLoc and have used it maybe 5x in the 1 1/2 years I've had it. It also a pain to set up. If you change bars like I did it is hard to get off without scracthing the bars especially carbon ones. You also have the added cost of changing the internal's it is not worth it.

Dan Mitchell

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    Thanks guys for the heads up on the Poplock. I'll just use the knob on the fork and see how it works. I just like having the little extras to play with. Can't have enough toys.

bang
    i've got a pop-lock on my sid; i like it. much easier to lock the fork out for those out-of-the-saddle sprints. i'm not sure how the other forks are, but the pop-lock doesn't adjust the compression from full lock-out to full open, so the adjust feature is pretty much useless.

i would contact sram to see if you really do need a new cartridge for the '06 forks. you don't on the sids (you do on the '05 rebas and pikes from what i understand), as the return spring is not part of the cartridge.

MTB B'dos
    I have a '05 REBA SL and using the knob on the leg works just fine for me - I've managed to wear away the rubber on my knob I use it so much. HOWEVER if I was racing I think it would be something I would consider (as u race to win and money comes 2nd right ) so that the action of u locking out wouldn't be obvious to everyone and would make it easier to ingage during a race at speed. As stated u would need to buy the complete new internals for the Motion Control and change that and the cable - somewhere around the $150 cost - which I don't thin is worth it. On technical stuff IF the PL actually works like how u can adjust the knob on the fork, it would be handy at times for adjusting the amount of MC during diff types of terrain etc.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

My opinion "no"

I have a Reba race with pop lock and a pike without it. With Pop lock you are limited to two positions on the fly. Lever engaged or not. Engaged is the compression dial fully closed. Released is a setting determined by the blue dial on the remote. It is a pain in the but to change the initial compression setting on the fly. (Engage lockout, turn blue dial, release lockout and than is this the compression you want? If not repeat above.) Without pop lock its any setting between open and closed by positioning the dial. Much easier to adjust on the fly. On a side note, on both systems the compression range is set by the gate valve.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lightplay
    I have a Reba race with pop lock and a pike without it. With Pop lock you are limited to two positions on the fly. Lever engaged or not. Engaged is the compression dial fully closed. Released is a setting determined by the blue dial on the remote. It is a pain in the but to change the initial compression setting on the fly. (Engage lockout, turn blue dial, release lockout and than is this the compression you want? If not repeat above.) Without pop lock its any setting between open and closed by positioning the dial. Much easier to adjust on the fly. On a side note, on both systems the compression range is set by the gate valve.
    Thanks for the input. Sounds like a lot of trial and error for something that can be done via the dial on the fork. I think I'll hold off on the poplock adjust for the time being and buy a Thomson seat post. I had one before. I'll swap out the new 06 Race Face Evolve XC seat post on my Trance and use the Thomson.
    Thanks...

bang
    Quote Originally Posted by Uberman
    Thanks for the input. Sounds like a lot of trial and error for something that can be done via the dial on the fork. I think I'll hold off on the poplock adjust for the time being and buy a Thomson seat post. I had one before. I'll swap out the new 06 Race Face Evolve XC seat post on my Trance and use the Thomson.
    Thanks...
    even though you can't tweak the compression like you can with the crown-mounted lever, there is no comparison between reaching down to the crown to adjust the compression (or to lock the fork out) vs a handlebar mounted lever. it's not so much a tool to adjust the compression as it is to just lock the fork out for climbing, sprinting or whatever. it's certainly not for everyone if you don't need to constantly lock / unlock the fork.

bike nerd
    Dec 2005

love the remote

FWIW I love the poplock remote - raced my T2 yesterday and used it all the time for fire road climbs - it's fantastic on sharp pinch climbs, gives you that extra few percent... my only issue is forgetting to release it - it should have a bright orange thumb lever or something, maybe a little voice that says "lock out is *on*" ... perhaps not ...

Mitchell

mtbr member
    Lockout on Reba SL - I have one, and I absolutely love it.

I race endurance and cross country races - and found it to be a great tool. Like most things adjustable - it can take more than a few races/practices/rides to figure out what exactly is your best point of acceptable compression dampening - took me about 5 races in a span of 7 months - but I found my sweet spot.

Once you find your best compromise for compression on your Reba, you use the Pop Loc Remote to control the on/off portion of it - and it works wonders for your climbing or sprinting. I like to have just a smidgen of compression so its as rigid as it can get while having a 5mm give to soak up the terrain - and when its open its back to plushness. It really does help on a long sustained climb to keep your rear end balanced and your weight neatly on top of your bars and fork without creating a bob of any kind to keep your cadence smooth - and you press the button at the summit of your climb and let the fork do its thing on the trip down.

It's a practical tool - but not a necessary tool - its nice to tinker with if you know exactly what you want and why you want to tweak it.