Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011

Will tapered fork work with a 2008 reign x frame?

Looking for a new fork for my 08 reign x frame and noticed tapered head tube forks. Will they work with my frame? Also what size headset does the frame use? I've been looking through Giant's website and the info they have doesn't really help.

MTB B'dos
    Yes, you could use a tapered fork on your Reign but it will require you purchase a new lower headset cup and bearing. Your current headset is a 44 ZS (zero stack), you can buy an EC (external cup) headset that accepts 1.5" steerers and run that with you current top cup to use the tapered fork. I'm feeling kind this AM because I just had a good ride, so here's the link to the Cane Creek store page for the lower cup Cane Creek 40.EC44/40.Bottom Assembly
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I looked into this briefly, & contacted Cane Creek, but I'm not interested in raising my axle to headtube 12 mm's on my trance.
    However, it will slacken your head angle a bit more, might be something you're after?

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Thanks Lynks, exact info i was looking for. I just wanted to know if tapered forks would work on my frame. I wouldn't want anymore slack head angle as i want to build it closely to it's stock spec as possible. I test rode a buddy's reign and it felt spot on with what it came stock on. Thanks again guys.

MTB B'dos
    They also do 44 anglesets, but not 100% sure if they will only work with straight or tapered steerers.
    Quote Originally Posted by James_spec View Post
    Thanks Lynks, exact info i was looking for. I just wanted to know if tapered forks would work on my frame. I wouldn't want anymore slack head angle as i want to build it closely to it's stock spec as possible. I test rode a buddy's reign and it felt spot on with what it came stock on. Thanks again guys.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics