mtbr member

New question here. Will a 203mm rotor fit on the rear of a VT?

Just finished installing my new fork and had to put a post mount adapter and install a 203mm front rotor, the front looks nice and strong but the rear looks flimsy with the small rotor.

Will a 203 rear rotor fit? Off course using the 203 rear adapter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Umm- maybe, but it is going to be very close or hit the chain stay. Only way to be sure is try it.

Have you ridden with 8" front yet? I ran an 8" front for a while- did not like the reduction in modulation and the scary noises that the front wheel made when using the 8" so I switched back to 6". The 6" squeals like crazy (8" was quite??), but the braking feel is better with the 6" although resistance to fading was better with the 8"

mtbr member
    Hopefully will try it today if I can find a dry trail, asembled it last night.

I had no other choice, I use the M755 hydros and couldn't find a post mount version of it anywhere. Maybe if I get a new set (post mount) I'll be able to ride with a 6" rotor again but for now it will have to do.

XC rider/racer

Warranty

Some fork manufacturers wont warranty damaged forks if they`ve been fitted with 8" rotors....dirtworks.com.au has a listing of which Rockshox and Manitou Forks can handle the 8" rotors...just scroll down the page of the above link to find the info.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Thanks Andy, I'm using a Manitou Black Super @ 120mm with the 8" rotor, accofring to the info provided at the dirtworks.com.au site I'm good to go. The Black can handle 6" and 8" rotors.

Do you know if a 8" rotor will fir the rear of my VT? I like to look of the front with the big rotor.

XC rider/racer

Not sure...

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Thanks Andy, I'm using a Manitou Black Super @ 120mm with the 8" rotor, accofring to the info provided at the dirtworks.com.au site I'm good to go. The Black can handle 6" and 8" rotors.

Do you know if a 8" rotor will fir the rear of my VT? I like to look of the front with the big rotor.
    Sorry Dirt Devil...I`m not sure if they`ll fit the rear or not......anyone else know?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Yes a 203mm rotor will fit the VT

Hey DiRt DeViL-

I spent the afternoon playing with the brakes (see my thread in Brake Time on trying ot use an Avid 185mm rotor with Hayes brakes) and since I had everything apart I remembered your question and decided to see if it would work. I installed my 8" Hayes rotor on the rear wheel and installed into the frame. There is enough clearance between the rotor and the frame (about 4-5mm) to run the 8" rotor. Getting the rear wheel on and off will be more difficult because the rotor will hit the frame and limit how far forward you can move the wheel to clear the rear deraileur.

Sorry I didn't take a pic, but when I thought of taking the pic I already had the rear caliper mounted and aligned.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

trick tip on rotor fitting...

you can use chainring bolts to space out different rotor sizes. Simply find the appropriate width, and place them under the adaptor. You may need to use longer mounting bolts, however.

mtbr member
    Thanks VT no 1 2 or 3 for the info, will get the adapter and 203 rotor based on your info as soon as some $$$ becomes available for bike stuff.

mtbr member
    Based on VT's comments I've decided to install a 180 disk on the rear, seem that the 203 will be a hassle to deal with when removing the rear tire. Just ordered the adapter and rotor to accomplish that feat.

My brake set up will be 203 front and 180 rear, I believe that I'll have excellent stopping power now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Please keep us posted on how it works out.

mtbr member
    The disk and adapter are on their way, hopefully brown will visit me today.

As soon as it's assembled will post pics.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

mtbr member
    The adapter and 180 rotor arrived and off course started to work on it ASAP.

The setup is sweet and plenty of stoping power, I'll post pics as soon as my current DSL issues are resolved. I can only post from work but the firewall doesn't allow me to upload pics.

Kudos to Kevin at Diskbrakeadapters dot com for the quick processing of my order.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job!

Glad to hear it is working out great. Can't wait to see the pics. I finally got my project of using an Avid 185mm front rotor with Hayes hydro brakes worked out and it is working better than I hoped- better braking and more modulation.

mtbr member

Pics (Finally)

Front (203mm rotor)

Rear (180mm rotor)

Don't have a full bike pic but if there's interest I can take one.