mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Why would I want a trance x2?

I currently have an 2011 Reign 0 as my do it all bike, I love this bike, it replaced the 05 Reign 2 that I had. Bike is great for all mountain riding and technical stuff, but I find after about 13 miles of single track almost cross country rising that I am getting burned out, and my reign is not that fast for level single tracks which I am going to be doing these trails mostly for awhile.

Just found a 2008 trance x2 frame/rear shock in great condition for $250, is it worth it? Will it be a good companion to my reign 0?
    I ask, because the trance x2 is 5" travel and reign is 6" travel, not a whole lot of variation in travel. I know the geometry is different, so how do they compare?

Trance be a good xc style go anywhere bike that's more efficient than reign and reign handles the other stuff? Or should I just save my money and skip this trance frame idea?
    Thanks all
    Last edited by Black4esT; 05-05-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Fox Shox
    I have a 2011 Trance x2 and I love it. It can handle quite alot - 3 to 4 foot drops are fine on this bike and it is still quite efficient when it comes to going uphill. $250 for the frame and rear shock is a great deal - buy it.
    If i go to hell i'm taking my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    FWIW I test rode a new Trance X1 29 today and currently have a 2010 Reign 2. I wasn't blown away by the Trance at all today...could be a bunch of reasons, but I'm totally leaning toward a new Reign 1 as my one and only bike for everything. 10 miles to 25 miles of XC and downhill - big variety and a ton of climbing. Still love the Reign.

But if I could have both...well I guess I can...but if I wanted both, it would be nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just sold my 2008 trance X2. I loved the bike, slap a 140 fork on it and it can do anything you ask it to. 250 is a really good price for it. The only thing I would say is that the Float R with the platform built in is ok. I had a chance to take our a friend 2009 X0 with the Rp23 and with the platform turned off, it felt "more supple,fluid".