Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: psquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17

    Why so few Reign X's?

    There seem to be tons of threads about Trances and Anthems, and even a couple threads about plain Reigns, but not much mention of Reign X's. What gives? Are they the black sheep of the Giant family?

    I just picked up a 2012 leftover X1 for 1/2 price and am was curious why I don't find more on here. Since I'm on a limited budget, I need a bike that can handle the AM riding I normally do with some beginner/intermediate DH runs mixed in. Hope this one fits the bill!

  2. #2
    May contain nuts
    Reputation: Haggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,519
    My RX just keeps getting better... 30.86lb of good times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why so few Reign X's?-student-rock-drop.jpg  


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    330
    When I was doing some research about buying Reign SX I was also surprised by the lack of threads regarding Reign X & SX. I suppose this happens because both bicycles are more "hardcore" than the rest and the same applies for other brands as well. For example I have a Trek Fuel Ex and there are numerous threads about it and Remedy but only a few about Slash, Session etc.

    Anyway there is no reason to worry about. If you like your bicycle that's all that matters.

    PS. I also bought the SX.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,440
    It's the same reason you don't see many threads about the Glory. Most people find the riding situations the Anthem and the Trance were intended for to be much more accessible. Most shops won't sell someone something like a Reign when one of the other bikes will be better suited because they want a happy customer, and a customer tired of pedaling around a big heavy bike meant for so much more than they have access to isn't a happy one.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    313
    I've have a trance that's 6 years old now and while the bike does great it just does not hold up very well in the Alps. I mostly use it for dicking around on XC trails that don't really have much descending. I am mostly on my DH bike but find that for most trails I am slightly over biked plus would like to do trails that require a small amount of pedaling. For this the Reign X is perfect, as if they built it FOR the Alps. Because of great infrastructure and public transport here in Switzerland the ascent to descent ratio is 1:10 making the RX the perfect bike for people who basically want a DH trail bike. I have demoed a RX a few times and was always blown away with how well it climbed and how well it descended as well and as it stands the RX is my plan B bike if I can't get the Uprising. The problem is most of the MTB world does not live in an area where the RX really shines such as the Alps. I only hope Giant decides to keep the RX and let someone with some artistic ability give it a proper paint job cause the last few years have all looked like barf.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: psquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17
    Thanks for the replies!

    I bought it for it's capabilities, because like I said, I want to be able to ride a little bit of everything and I know that this bike is going to handle anything that I can throw at it, or it at, and can't wait to try.

    I was slightly worried, however, when I barely found any threads about them. I wanted to know if there were any issues or anything that I should know about, or any popular mods or upgrades that I should start saving up for.

    I can't wait until the weather clears out a little so I can start riding it more!

  7. #7
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,389
    Smaller travel and lighter bikes these days are getting to be so capable, the range of riding they can do is opened up quite a bit.



    I do stuff on my 5" travel TRc all the time that a couple years ago, would only have done on the RX. Frame geometry and construction, brakes, suspension, dropper post changes in the last few years have made the option of a good 5-6" bike under 30# that can take a beating, ride some gnarly ****, and come back for more a reality.


    Looooooove my RX, but it's completely overkill for the majority of my riding (For the vast majority of people riding out there, an RX is way overkill, IMO) - great for some places and certain days, and it's also my lift bike with a spare heavier duty wheel/tire setup thrown on. Granted, it's also slacked out 2* from stock with a 180mm fork and a -1* Works headset. Not a full on DH bike of course, but I don't get to the lifts enough to justify one. I don't ride it a ton, but it's nice to have around - a Faith would be even more overkill, and get ridden even less. It makes and awesome local burly ride/a couple times a year at the lifts bike for someone like me. Wanted a bike that could be made to work for what and how I like to ride at lift spots without destroying it, but something that wouldn't be a complete pig to pedal on the burlier local spots as well - the RX suits quite well.



    Way more weight and slackness than my day to day riding and trails need - but when you want to work on a line or a drop or something you're maybe not quite sure about, it's certainly nice to have the beef and slackness there! If/when it dies, it'll probably be replaced by a new RX frame, or maybe a Mojo-HD with some slacker headset cups.


    Bias towards traill riding with some lifts/local burly stuff? If I could only have one bike to ride EVERYTHING with, much as I like the RX, it'd probably be a regular Reign with a nice fork/shock setup, two sheel/tire sets, and a dropper post, maybe slacked out another degree with a Works headset as well. If my riding was more DH based, then I'd go for the RX as the one bike - just too much around me that is flattish with lots of short ups and downs and lots of slow speed and triallsy stuff where a big bike is a handful though.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  8. #8
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,176
    I'm on an RX and use it for shuttling. Now running a 180 fork- previously ran a Boxxer and a -1.5 degree Works set but decided that was complete overkill for my riding. I get most the travel out of both the front and back as I prefer softer suspension setups, so I have no desire to try a shorter travel bike.

    The bike is ideal for me- it's got the right travel, pedals well, has a nicely active rear and the frame is light. It doesn't pedal well out of the saddle on uphill slogs, but I suspect that would be true of any 170 bike without a platform shock.

    However the big downer to owning an otherwise excellent frame is that I'm expecting the rear linkage to break at any time- the two other RX owners that I know here both broke their links. Hard to get too excited about a bike with a known design defect. I wonder how widely known this problem is, and whether it's affected sales of this model. I went in knowing full well, but I'm prepared to put up with a breakage.

    Also it's bit hard to get excited over a frame that's fugly. I've said it before, but Giant graphic designs for the RX series are terrible. Their other full suss bikes tend to look better... sometimes.

  9. #9
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,389
    Quote Originally Posted by psquared View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

    I bought it for it's capabilities, because like I said, I want to be able to ride a little bit of everything and I know that this bike is going to handle anything that I can throw at it, or it at, and can't wait to try.

    I was slightly worried, however, when I barely found any threads about them. I wanted to know if there were any issues or anything that I should know about, or any popular mods or upgrades that I should start saving up for.

    I can't wait until the weather clears out a little so I can start riding it more!
    If you really want to take advantage of it, get a two wheelset/tire thing going - lighter for general trail riding, and a burlier one for the lifts.

    A dropper post on these bikes, if you don't already have one, is quite nice as well.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  10. #10
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,176
    Oh, and on the subject of mods/upgrades. Dropper post as mentioned by scrublover, but that's true of most bikes except completely dedicated XC or DH.

    I went 1x10 and would suggest that if possible- way nicer riding without a front derailleur and chainslap. Drop the FD and get a couple of BBG guards, which avoids the faff of a chainguide.

    But really, just ride the bike as is, and enjoy it before worrying about spending money on upgrades.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    330
    Hi. This is my recently purchased Reign SX 2013. My other recent bicycles were a Scott Spark 29 that I sold and a Trek Fuel Ex 7 that I still have.

    Why so few Reign X's?-img_20140111_134618.jpg

    I only had a couple of rides on it but I really like it. The only changes I made were a 2x10 instead of the 1x9 and XT brakes instead of the stock ones.

    Compared to my other bikes and the terrain that I ride do I believe that it is an overkill? Yes. Do I mind? No!

    The main advantage of the SX is that it doesn't hold you back when riding. It gives you confidence to choose the difficult lines, to go over things instead of around them. And as expected when pointed downhill there is no comparison with any of my other bikes.

    On the other side it is heavier and more difficult on the uphill vs. my Fuel so it is not the best bike for really long XC rides with many uphills but if you are in good fit (I am not) you won't have any problems.

    Bottom line this is not the best all around bike but I don't really mind. After all I dont need a special bike to ride on a straight line and I don't enjoy uphill anyway but when I want to have fun nothing beats the SX.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,718
    I sold mine because it was too much bike for the trails I was ridding after relocating, before it was my mini DH rig and it took everything I could handle and begged for more.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: psquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17
    Mine came ready to roll with a dropper and 2X10 with an MRP chain guide, two small details that helped seal the deal. It also came with Elixer 5's, which I am going to give a chance to see how they work before I swap them out for a slightly older set of SLX brakes that are on my shelf.

    Wombie, I thought the rear linkage problem was with older bikes?

    Scrublover, lighter wheels are on my short list of parts to help lose a little weight in the future.


  14. #14
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,176
    Maybe they fixed it for 2013... there are reports of 2010 - 2012 breakages. I know someone with a 2012 who broke a link. The more convincing solution seems to be to use a Reign non-X link and file off an ICSG tab.

    I had deliberately avoided getting a 2013 frame and went with the known weak linkage because I didn't want Overdrive2 and problems finding stems.

    Anyway, it looks like Giant treated this whole affair quite badly. They released a component with a design defect but they only warranty the linkage for 1 year. What they should have done is just recalled the bad linkage and had shops replace them with the new one (assuming the 'improved' linkages don't break).

    If mine ever breaks (well, from the failure rate I've seen it's more a matter of when mine breaks) I'll get an old non-X link instead.

    Hm. This post is coming off as more negative than I'd intended. I really do like the frame, but these negatives might be some indicator of why people don't get too excited about the RX.

  15. #15
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,176
    On a more positive note:

    Mine's at 32lbs. 1x10. XFusion front and rear (Metric and Vector Air). XT brakes. Gravity Dropper. Single ply 2.35 Minions soon to be replaced with dual-ply 2.5 DH tyres which will add a pound or two.

  16. #16
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,389
    Quote Originally Posted by psquared View Post
    Mine came ready to roll with a dropper and 2X10 with an MRP chain guide, two small details that helped seal the deal. It also came with Elixer 5's, which I am going to give a chance to see how they work before I swap them out for a slightly older set of SLX brakes that are on my shelf.

    Wombie, I thought the rear linkage problem was with older bikes?

    Scrublover, lighter wheels are on my short list of parts to help lose a little weight in the future.

    Looks good! I hear good things about those Giant droppers. A couple guys in my riding circle are on them, they seem to be working well.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  17. #17
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,389
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    On a more positive note:

    Mine's at 32lbs. 1x10. XFusion front and rear (Metric and Vector Air). XT brakes. Gravity Dropper. Single ply 2.35 Minions soon to be replaced with dual-ply 2.5 DH tyres which will add a pound or two.
    I'm sitting at 32# with 1x10, Reverb, Totem Air, air rear shock, carbon bar, a fairly light "trail" wheel setup, with Minion 2.5 DHF 3C EXO up front and a mix of various 2.3-2.4 tubeless tires on the back. XX brakes, Carbon bar, lots of other little light bits that help offset running a hefty fork. Balloons up to about 36# when I throw the DH wheels on, but for those days, it doesn't matter!

    I dig the idea of a Lyrik 170mm and a lighter rear shock, but it would detract from some of the feel when at the lifts.

    I do still lust after a Mojo-HD with a slackening headset and a Lyrik 170mm though. Maybe when this bike dies, I find a sugar momma, or find myself no longer heading to the resorts at all.

    Long winded -sorry, it's been a couple slow nights at work!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: psquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17
    Anyone have any experience with Elixer brakes? I've heard a lot of people don't like them. My brother had them on his Bronson and had a ton of problems with them. The LBS couldn't get them bled right and swapped them out for SLX for him. He says that they are a ton better. The mechanic at a different shop sold me a slightly used set of SLX that I put on my Stumpy. When I told him about my X1 he told me to put the Shimanos on it because they were better than the Elixer 5's.
    Should I give the Elixers a chance or should I just swap them with the SLX that are on my Stumpy that I plan on selling?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,440
    A lot of people bad mouth the Elixir brake, but I haven't had any issues with them. However, on a Reign? I wouldn't use SLX or Elixir 5's, especially if I was using a Reign for the type of stuff it was meant for. I'd be looking for at some Trail (4 piston) brakes.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    92
    I love my reign XO, its a2013 available as a frame set only in the UK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why so few Reign X's?-img_20140225_133041.jpg  

    Why so few Reign X's?-img_20140225_132716.jpg  

    Why so few Reign X's?-img_20140225_132735.jpg  

    Why so few Reign X's?-img_20140225_133004.jpg  

    Last edited by Northern Soul; 02-25-2014 at 07:22 AM.

  21. #21
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,389
    Use the Elixirs until you have an issue. If you have trouble, swap them out. If you don't have any issues, then great! Run 'em till they die.

    I'm one of those people who likes his (four bikes, all with Elixir XX brakes) and hasn't had any issues. Different rotor sizes on different bikes for different purposes.

    They are a bit more finicky in setup, in that IF shorten your lines, you really have to be meticulous with bleeding the system after or you will have problems. Once setup, mine have all been working beautifully. If you really want set it and forget, then Shimano seems to rule there. But as said, you've already got the Avids on the bike - may as well run with them until they develop a problem or not.

    Don't worry about needing "bigger" brakes - throw on an 8" rotor up front if you need more power right away - makes a nice difference, and is way less $$$$ than new brakes.

    YMMV obviously.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: psquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17
    Right now I'm more concerned with reliability. I'm sure both brakes have enough power for me for know, I just want them to work when I need them.
    I already own the SLXs, so I was contemplating swapping them out, mainly because I have nothing better to do because the trails are too muddy to ride right now and it's killing me!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    313
    So after I said the RX is the perfect bike for the Alps I go to Giants home page for Switzerland. RX not available or even offered as in you can't even find it using the search function on the web site. WTF? Giant needs new upper management both here in CH and in Tawian.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeytonP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    311

    2 years on the 2012 Reign X

    Quote Originally Posted by psquared View Post
    Right now I'm more concerned with reliability. I'm sure both brakes have enough power for me for know, I just want them to work when I need them.
    I already own the SLXs, so I was contemplating swapping them out, mainly because I have nothing better to do because the trails are too muddy to ride right now and it's killing me!
    I had a lot of initial issues with the 2012 Reign X. I got it in November of 2011 and the suspension was terrible. After Fox sorted it out, I sold the bike to my dad a few months later and got a Faith.
    Over the past year, my dad stopped riding the Reign X and I've been cranking out tons of miles on it. I love it now that I've stopped treating it like a DH rig. You can still charge rough terrain, but you'll feel the suspension lagging on extended rocky descents. I'll probably end up buying it back from him and upgrade to a Cane Creek DB shock, a TALAS CTD fork with a lockout, and go 1x11.

    My 2 cents:
    Don't worry about the link. It was redone for 2012. I've ridden that bike HARD and I've had no linkage problems. Just be sure to do your standard bike checks to tighten things up. The lower shock mount will loosen from time to time and you have to take the crank off to get to it.
    UPGRADE THE CHAINGUIDE! I can't tell you how many MRP lower guide plates I've gone through. e13 has worked well on the Faith. I'll look to them in the future.
    Brakes are fine and have been reliable, but also noisy from day one. My dad rode it at Angel Fire and had no brake issues. A small jump to X9 would give a much better brake feel. There's a big difference in adjustability and modulation between 7 and 9. I've enjoyed X9 on my Faith.
    I also had to shorten the dropper post cable. The cable growth from lowering the seat would rub the tire during deeper shock compressions.
    The Minions that came with it have lasted forever. I expect them to start showing serious wear at some point, but they seem immortal.
    I hated the stock handlebar and saddle, though this is very personal. I prefer a Race Face Atlas bar with 20mm rise- it remedied some arm pump and wrist pain I had experienced. Just ordered a WTB Pure V saddle. The Fizik saddle left me sore for days.

    If you want to ride the bike really hard, I suggest going the SX route and swapping in a coil shock. I have to run the DHX Air much stiffer than preferred because it blows through travel way too easily. Pumping up the boost chamber and then running higher than recommended for my weight in the main chamber has helped, but I know the overall feel and sensitivity could be so much better.

    I desperately want the new Advanced Trance SX, but life is in the way lol. I'm moving and starting a new job in a month, getting married in June, and will probably buy a house later in the year, too. As much as I want the SX, getting the Reign X back and upgrading as I go will probably be all I can afford for quite some time. I'll let y'all know if I end up breaking the link. I'm moving to the TX hill country so I'll have plenty of opportunity to put it in a serious bind.

    The Reign X is an underrated bike. I do wonder why more hasn't been said of it, but that may be the usual deal of Giant-bashing for no good reason.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: COMMandrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Smaller travel and lighter bikes these days are getting to be so capable, the range of riding they can do is opened up quite a bit.



    I do stuff on my 5" travel TRc all the time that a couple years ago, would only have done on the RX. Frame geometry and construction, brakes, suspension, dropper post changes in the last few years have made the option of a good 5-6" bike under 30# that can take a beating, ride some gnarly ****, and come back for more a reality.


    Looooooove my RX, but it's completely overkill for the majority of my riding (For the vast majority of people riding out there, an RX is way overkill, IMO) - great for some places and certain days, and it's also my lift bike with a spare heavier duty wheel/tire setup thrown on. Granted, it's also slacked out 2* from stock with a 180mm fork and a -1* Works headset. Not a full on DH bike of course, but I don't get to the lifts enough to justify one. I don't ride it a ton, but it's nice to have around - a Faith would be even more overkill, and get ridden even less. It makes and awesome local burly ride/a couple times a year at the lifts bike for someone like me. Wanted a bike that could be made to work for what and how I like to ride at lift spots without destroying it, but something that wouldn't be a complete pig to pedal on the burlier local spots as well - the RX suits quite well.



    Way more weight and slackness than my day to day riding and trails need - but when you want to work on a line or a drop or something you're maybe not quite sure about, it's certainly nice to have the beef and slackness there! If/when it dies, it'll probably be replaced by a new RX frame, or maybe a Mojo-HD with some slacker headset cups.


    Bias towards traill riding with some lifts/local burly stuff? If I could only have one bike to ride EVERYTHING with, much as I like the RX, it'd probably be a regular Reign with a nice fork/shock setup, two sheel/tire sets, and a dropper post, maybe slacked out another degree with a Works headset as well. If my riding was more DH based, then I'd go for the RX as the one bike - just too much around me that is flattish with lots of short ups and downs and lots of slow speed and triallsy stuff where a big bike is a handful though.
    Nice ride! Mine looks similar. I couldn't find me an X model anywhere Downunder - so I brought a standard reign and put a vivid air 2.25 and domain solo airs & bam - let the good times roll
    Australia didn't drift away over thousands of years - Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked it in the face.

Similar Threads

  1. Difference between 2011 Reign and Reign X frame?
    By Largextracheese in forum Giant
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-16-2014, 04:04 AM
  2. 2012 Giant Reign or Reign X as 650b...
    By rideit in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 08:46 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-08-2012, 07:09 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 11:45 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 04:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •