Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    430

    WHY no Trance 27.5 model 2 in the US? Carbon or Alum??

    its a killer spec for the price and begs to be upgraded with a 150 pike...

    its the one I'd buy and upgrade if I decide a trance... sux it's not avail in the US.

    Anyone want to ship from CAN or Mex?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    181
    it's the same thing Giant did with the reign x 2. For whatever reason they don't sell them in the US??? pretty lame. Also the colors. the Matte black Trance 2 looks great, instead we got the red that has all kinds of white and black graphics on it. Sometimes I think Giant goes a little over board with the graphic scheme on there bikes. Oh well, what are you going to do????

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    90
    I asked them that and they said that there is not a big enough market for the trance 2 in the U.S.

    I told them "what gives you guys the right to decide what we want and what we don't want? At least try it out and put it in the market for us to decide for you ."

    They said they will pass it on... I doubt it.

    I loved the matte black trance 2. Would have bought it, but I don't like the trance 3 or 1 colors so I'm going to get a Kona process 134dl.

    Guess they don't know their market.

  4. #4
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,811

    Re: WHY no Trance 27.5 model 2 in the US? Carbon or Alum??

    Quote Originally Posted by NHMB View Post
    I told them "what gives you guys the right to decide what we want and what we don't want? At least try it out and put it in the market for us to decide for you .
    Really? They have every right. They own the company. They do plenty of market research before putting out a product. You sound pretty entitled with a me, me, me attitude.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Really? They have every right. They own the company. They do plenty of market research before putting out a product. You sound pretty entitled with a me, me, me attitude.
    I love how offended people get on forums. It's not me me, it's more like us, us.

    if you know their research on their market of what to sell I reach country than how do they do it, oh smart one?
    I'm simply stating that one option that would make sense is testing the water.
    Everyday people are wrong when they assume things. That's why it's always better to test things out.

    On top of that, just bc they research that doesn't mean they are right. It's business, and sometimes businesses make mistakes. Believe it or not.

    Btw, you don't need to have a know it all attitude.

    People can research all they want, but nothing is better than hard press facts.

  6. #6
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,811
    Wow.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    430
    No dis-respect - but its real simple - and not a matter of me, me, me or this entitlement you speak of.

    for the budget - the 2 model represents the best build spec - to be immediately upgraded to what i feel will be the best bang for my hard earned dollars. Again - all about smart build against budget.

    Pike 150, and carbon wheels - in alloy or carbon this 2 model would than be a rippin arse bike and get me the bits that will make the most difference. The derails, cranks, even brakes - on the 2 model are all very capable and NOT the diff makers whereas the fork and wheels are.

    just my .o2c - it seems a bit silly that our neighbors north and south, and everywhere else around the globe, have those 2 options yet Giant can't / won't make them available even a via spec order here. I checked - Giant told dealer no.

    while on this topic of the 2 - its also the best looking version in alloy. I've never bought a bike based on color - but lets just say the 1 leaves a whole lot in the looky dept

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    No dis-respect - but its real simple - and not a matter of me, me, me or this entitlement you speak of.

    for the budget - the 2 model represents the best build spec - to be immediately upgraded to what i feel will be the best bang for my hard earned dollars. Again - all about smart build against budget.

    Pike 150, and carbon wheels - in alloy or carbon this 2 model would than be a rippin arse bike and get me the bits that will make the most difference. The derails, cranks, even brakes - on the 2 model are all very capable and NOT the diff makers whereas the fork and wheels are.

    just my .o2c - it seems a bit silly that our neighbors north and south, and everywhere else around the globe, have those 2 options yet Giant can't / won't make them available even a via spec order here. I checked - Giant told dealer no.

    while on this topic of the 2 - its also the best looking version in alloy. I've never bought a bike based on color - but lets just say the 1 leaves a whole lot in the looky dept
    Completely agree with everything. And that was my point.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iamtylerdurden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    373
    that's the reason I bought a used 2012 trance, for the all black frame......

    can't afford the carbon one released in the US.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    21
    Where can I find the specs for the trance 2?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extremedave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDimwit View Post
    Where can I find the specs for the trance 2?
    Trance 27.5 2 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia
    Current roster:
    2013 Trance X1 29er
    2013 Mukluk 3
    Banshee Paradox V1
    2011 Defy 1

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    46
    I must admit that the color of the bike IS important to me. Not sure why, I just like cool looking stuff. That being said, I am not too keen on the 3 or 1 either. The red 3 is not too bad, but wow is the 2 a sharp ride. However, I live in central MN and Winnipeg is a short 4 hour drive away!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by heypal99 View Post
    I must admit that the color of the bike IS important to me. Not sure why, I just like cool looking stuff. That being said, I am not too keen on the 3 or 1 either. The red 3 is not too bad, but wow is the 2 a sharp ride. However, I live in central MN and Winnipeg is a short 4 hour drive away!
    I was thinking the same thing. I have a niece in Detroit graduating this June. There are 2 crossings within an easy 45 minute drive from my parents home. I might have to make a day trip to ride in Canada...

    although, just for giggles, I looked at the price of the Trance 1, and did a quick currency conversion, and $2700 seems like a real nice price.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    21
    Also, @extremedav, thanks for the link.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    121
    So, with a quick drive to our neighbors in the north, I can get a better looking trance 2(over the 1) for 2399CAD/2180USD. If I order XT brakes, Stealth Reverb, Taco bash guard, and XT shifters, That brings me to about 2900USD. Compare that to a trance 1 here in the states that is listing for 3500USD and it seems like a hell of a deal to me. I can't Imagine I would use the Talas function so other than that what would I be missing out on?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iamtylerdurden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWilliams View Post
    So, with a quick drive to our neighbors in the north, I can get a better looking trance 2(over the 1) for 2399CAD/2180USD. If I order XT brakes, Stealth Reverb, Taco bash guard, and XT shifters, That brings me to about 2900USD. Compare that to a trance 1 here in the states that is listing for 3500USD and it seems like a hell of a deal to me. I can't Imagine I would use the Talas function so other than that what would I be missing out on?
    Or you could put the longer travel Talas on there and have a Trance SX....

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    430
    I think you all have the right idea on this bike - which was why i posted the mild rant -

    for the money - its the perfect pricepoint/build spec - to do a little or a lot of upgrading with.

    Some wheels and a pike 150 - and I'd be done - well - prob a wolftooth 42tgc/30tnw to make it 1x - post up if any of you find this just over the border and pull one to mother usa

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    21
    Well, I'm going back to the Detroit area in june for my nieces graduation party, and I just talked to a shop in London, Ontario. The Trance 27.5 2 works out to $2452.26 (US) with taxes included based on today's exchange rate.

    Fortunately, the riding here in the Colorado high country is just starting to get really good around then. So, it looks like I'll be making a quick hop across the border when I of home.
    The only crappy part is gonna be having to get it dirty before bringing it across so it doesn't look brand new.;-)

Similar Threads

  1. Blur LT: carbon v. alum swing arm
    By happyriding in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 07:49 PM
  2. Mach 5.7 Carbon or Alum?
    By yangpei in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 09:57 PM
  3. Any Trance model without integrated headset?
    By MikelDuke in forum Giant
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 01:56 AM
  4. Carbon HT or Alum FS to replace my Alum HT Frame
    By TwoNin9r in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 09:09 AM
  5. From Steel to Alum (or even Carbon)?
    By Casual Observer in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 04:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •