Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    No Stranger to danger....

Why no love and heaps of hate for Giant bikes?

It seems to me that there is heaps of haters and bike snobs that look down on the great Giant brand.
    I live in Australia and Giant's are very popular here, but even on our bike forums many people all bar the Giant bike owners themselves are jumping on the bandwagon payin out on Giants n their owners, its like Giant shooting season, not to mention the bit of Giant snobbery that goes on on this site..
    Im the proud owner of a Reign and an STP, both bikes are awesome bikes for what i paid for them, actually regardless of what i paid for them they are fine bikes..
    When looking for an all mountain bike i gave myself a limit of $2,500 and the reign fit the bill and is a great bike and imo beats plenty of bikes above it in its class n price range, its a top steed, so is my trusty STP that lasted me years of dirt jumpin n razzin round, For $1000 many years ago its been a damn fine bike n stood up to some serious abuse, and both are two fine bang for buck bikes..

Im thinking there are plenty of bike snobs around these days, that think that any bike thats not worth 5k is a s**t bike, i think a few of these guys are 'brand groupies''.

Who cares if Giants are thick on the ground, its because they are great value for money bikes that are well built n great quality, it speaks volumes for the company that so many are around imo.

Anybody have an opinion on this Giant hate? Or theories behind it?

Im writing this to check out your opinions here in the Giant forum, which i understand will be a bit bias towards Giants cause we all have them, but i will be putting a similar thread up soon out on the open forum to see the general thoughts of the wider community if i could be bothered lol

cheers n thanks for reading, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Your right!
    Here in NZ, I have heard people dis Giant bikes for no good reason, bar brand snobbery or they are not 5k bikes etc.I guess if I am honest, I was in that tribe once but have since learned just to enjoy the ride of a great bike.
    The Anthem 29er is a bike I rode recently, that shot the ball out of the park, for the quality of the ride, compared to most other 29ers I have ridden, regardless of price point!
    Anyway you have raised a very valid point.
    I fear the better Giant build their bikes and continue to provide amazing value for money, the more they will sell, so things may not change in a hurry!
    Ti ML Lover

No Stranger to danger....
    i just find it interesting some peoples mentalities, they will never effect the way i feel about Giants, i love em (bar a few dodgy paint jobs n graphic designs lol) they are such good value bikes ant the geometry and Maestro system on their full suss is imo the best suspension design on the market.

I sort of see Giants as the Toyota Land cruisers of the bike world, tough, well made, thick on the ground for a reason, because they are bloody great bikes at a great value...

stuff the bike snobs, i'll give em a ride off on my Reign any day n give em a good run for their money..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    I recommend Giant a lot to racers, and in fact my husband and I were seriously considering the new Anthem Advanced 29ers. However we discovered that we could get a deal on the Jet 9 RDO using some team discounts on parts, buy the frames and build them up completely custom, for about the same or a little less than buying the Anthem X Advanced 29ers at full retail + tax.

I've spent the past five seasons on a Maestro bike and love the geometry, handling and value. If we still had a Giant team deal there would be absolutely no questions asked. If we were on a tighter budget, there would also be no questions asked, we'd opt for the Giant.

The RDO has a very similar feel suspension wise but pedalled just a bit "tighter" on the climbs, and with the option to do a full boutique custom parts spec, we discovered we could build them out lighter & tricker from the get go (we both vastly prefer twist shifters, so that's something we'd have had to immediately change/upgrade on the Anthems fwiw). Otherwise there's no observed difference in weight / handling after fiddling with suspension settings, and this is after extensive demos (all day rides for multiple days) on both.

So yes, if you don't have $5K to drop on a boutique build, the Giants absolutely make sense. I think there is a brand of bike snobbery here that dismisses Giants as "common", it's the same thing I used to see in the US road racing scene in the late 90s/early 2000s where every Cat 3 crit racer was on a midrange TCR; it's because they were reliable, affordable, came with ideal OEM specs, and worked very well for the masses, but the same reasoning (affordability, ubiquitousness) seemed to create a lot of contempt for the brand.
    Last edited by lonefrontranger; 09-05-2012 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Its like everything now a days in the image conscious society that has been developed via marketing and internet - I have far too often been part of it myself. That said I own an Anthem X29 - and it is far and away the BEST bike I've owned, and paid far less than my previous boutique bike - I've become a better rider for it and it's exceeded my expectations for all it does well. Now - do I start to drool a bit when I see the new $6k boutique carbon 650's and 29ers being announced? heck yes! Do I want one? oh yeah! Will I buy one?? Nope - unless I can find a pro-deal hookup it is highly unlikely. Just too much high value in Giant (and some others) and no doubt the Maestro is a dialed in rear sus - while I believe my next bike will be the TranceX29 - again - find that value and build elsewhere (the x1 with a few tasty upgrades). But it will come down to the ride! I have a budget - and fortunately companies like Giant can offer a whole lot to meet many different budgets. Besides - its not about the bike - its whats on top - lol! While a bit cheeky of a comment - I watched a guy in street shoes on a 10 yr old piece of crap bike outride a handful of snobs on their $6k rides recently - it was awesome -

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just don't worry about other people and be smug that you have more practical values. I am new to mtbing and got a giant trance because it had been reviewed consistently well, was affordable (comparatively) and was locally available.
    If it got me out mountain biking, big ups for giant I say.
    Last edited by Genetic_Drift; 09-05-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: more to add

mtbr member
    Our lives in general, there are always going to be the kind of people that look down on the budget minded. And like what Genetic_Drift said, it just makes me question those persons morals and practical values. I currently own a full suspension Motobecan. And you will also notice the hate towards that brand as well. But I chose something that fit my budget, and for the type of riding I do, it fit me well. And I got one heck of a deal. Now I feel that my skills have outgrown the Moto. And am seriously thinking of either the Reign or Reign X as my next do it all bike. Personally I don't let those kind of people bother me, but just to love what you ride and to have fun with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just bought myself a new old stock reign X2 from my lbs. I've been out of the loop of whats current in the mtb scene for a long while as my last bike purchase was an orange X2 full suspension back in 1997, still have it. Maybe Giant are too much the Ford of the MTB world for the bike tarts but I'm loving mine...1 down

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I bought a XTC2 29er this spring and it's my first Giant and first 29er, I hopped on the bike day one in the trail and I felt like I had ridden this bike all my life. That speaks all to well for the geo, it just felt right. The bike was 1400 bucks and my buddy still can't catch me on his super exspensive carbon dream.

mtbr member
    People hate them because they're the working mans bike plus the ugly color schemes that they use from time to time doesn't help.

I'm on my 3rd Giant and only have good things to say about my current (Talon 1) and former rides (NRS and Reign X).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm just replying "your fancy bike" is most likely build by Giant.

I simply love my AX29 and Maestro. For 500 bucks more I could have bought lower specs bike with one kg more. I mean less than 12kg, full XT, Avid 9 (ok I would prefer XT, but still excelent brakes breaks) and great handling ... all out of the box?

I'm happy and I don't care. I'll always opt for great wheels than fancy downtube sticker
    ==============
    Anthem X 29er 0

~Reformed Mechanic~

You are correct...

Its true that Giant seems to get more bike snobbery attention than most. Ignorance I would assume... Those who dont know any better were probably just told that their expensive boutique bikes are much better, but not based on any facts. Giant offers one of the best values in the industry and that likely attracts some snobbish attention I would think...
    Last edited by Ace5high; 09-08-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Eh, my "budget" trance x4 now costs more than most people's boutique bike and probably their cars too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I love my Giant. I go everywhere everyone else does with it. They are usually behind me too.

mtbr member
    Funny how the world is. Around here Giant bikes are somewhat exclusive. Apart from mines I cant count with my hand fingers how many Giants I've seen in a decade out of a shop.

Specialized has been and is the trend around here. You can't just imagine how many Specialized bikes are around. Scott was kind of a fad, Trek is slowly returning after a couple of years nowhere to be seen. Boutique bikes here are almost limited to Ibis and Santa Cruz. There are some others around, but they are even rarer.

Giant bikes, people just don't buy them and I don't figure why. Nothing to do with price assistance as far as I know. Some areas do seem to sell some more but nothing compared. One shop I know had the Giant line up for these last two year and now they've replaced it for Trek.

In a way this doesn't bother me. It means I've got an exclusive bike, not as seen as others! And I like it!

Inspector Gadget
    Same reason as everything else in life... Penis envy.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Giant is the largest MFG of bikes worldwide.
    It's always easy to target a "Giant".

mtbr member
    Also in Oz.
    My mate (who was from colorado but living in Oz now) jokingly called my 2012 Anthem X0 29er "the Toyota Corolla of mountainbikes"... But at the same time he heaped praise on it.

Out on the trails I would actually say i've only had positive interest in the bike.

This is my first Giant, so not brand-proud etc.
    Still amazed at the performance that's crammed into this bike for the money I payed.

Anyhow, who cares what other people think.
    Ride Safe.

www.lighttouchchiropractic.com.au Manly Sydney

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by purdyboy View Post
    Also in Oz.
    "the Toyota Corolla of mountainbikes"...
    Toyota Corolla?! Toyota 86 or Lexus LFA maybe. What does he rides?!

And by the way on bikes, engines are actually out of the chassis...
    ==============
    Anthem X 29er 0

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by purdyboy View Post
    "the Toyota Corolla of mountainbikes"...
    High praise indeed then .

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have had more Giant FS bikes than I care to remember, I have been on Niners for about 3 years, Current bike is a Jet9 RDO.

I rate Giant very high, & If I wasn't on a Niner it would be Giant i would be going back to.

The Anthem X29 I did a bit of miles on was a much nicer bike than the Tallboy carbon that I owned IMO.

For the price point Giant is well up on many makes.

mtbr member
    Hey Tone's, good thread. I ride a Giant XTC 29er and agree Giant do the best Bang for Buck bikes. Coming up 2 years now and it has has alot of use and stood up bloody well.

Don't think I've come accross too much bike "snobbery" as such, although not to say there is certainly an element of aloofness (bet I've spelt that wrong). Me an my mates will rock up in our family wagons and happily park next to some dude in his Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayenne with their 7k carbon fibre rocket bikes. At least they are there and riding and for the most part have found they are quite happy to chat and discuss the track and what sort of day they've had. Just have to remember their poo stinks like every body elses and they put their trousers on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Dummyrunner View Post
    Hey Tone's, good thread. I ride a Giant XTC 29er and agree Giant do the best Bang for Buck bikes. Coming up 2 years now and it has has alot of use and stood up bloody well.

Don't think I've come accross too much bike "snobbery" as such, although not to say there is certainly an element of aloofness (bet I've spelt that wrong). Me an my mates will rock up in our family wagons and happily park next to some dude in his Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayenne with their 7k carbon fibre rocket bikes. At least they are there and riding and for the most part have found they are quite happy to chat and discuss the track and what sort of day they've had. Just have to remember their poo stinks like every body elses and they put their trousers on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.
    To be honest it's the reverse snobbery that I see that I don't get.

People with the big $$ bikes don't go around as much saying why are you ridding that ??

But the people on the cheaper bikes just can't seam to just accept that someone rides a big dollar bike.
    It's all, he has more money than sence, it's not all about the bike, If he spent more time riding he would be much faster & stuff like that.

The people I don't like riding with are the people that always turn up late or more often than not have a brake down & you have to stop & help them fix it & if they had spent 2 min checking there bike after last time they rode it they would have picked it up.

But most of all other people don't care as much as we think they do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post

People with the big $$ bikes don't go around as much saying why are you ridding that ??

But the people on the cheaper bikes just can't seam to just accept that someone rides a big dollar bike.
    It's all, he has more money than sence, it's not all about the bike, If he spent more time riding he would be much faster & stuff like that.

The people I don't like riding with are the people that always turn up late or more often than not have a brake down & you have to stop & help them fix it & if they had spent 2 min checking there bike after last time they rode it they would have picked it up.

But most of all other people don't care as much as we think they do.
    Good points. Tried to rep you but must have got you recently in one of the "rep ho" forums

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post

But the people on the cheaper bikes just can't seam to just accept that someone rides a big dollar bike..
    Fortunately I haven't run into this problem yet, I used to get so many complements on my Tallboy almost every person I stopped to chat with on trail, would ask me about it. I really enjoyed giving my build breakdown and tips to everyone.

When people saw me on my Canzo it was "Wow I thought Voodoo went outa business years ago..."

When they see me on my Giant its "Why would you buy a Giant You must not have known there is a Speshy dealer literally right down the road "

So I guess it depends a lot on where you live/ride
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast