Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I think people look down on Giant more since it's a mainstream brand. I never thought much of them until I rode one and realized they make good bikes, as well as crappy (but cheap) bikes.

I would say people hate Special_ed though, but that's for other reasons.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Kurt Sorge wins Red Bull rampage on a giant, Danny Hart wins downhill world championships on a giant. If a giant is good enough for that then its good enough for anyones average abilities and more. As for the high and mighty riders on their £5000 bikes whos ability is worthy of a £500 bike i dont think they have the right to look down on people riding cheaper bikers than themselves. Must be embarrassing for them to get shown up by a kid on a bike that is worth less than the wheels on their bike. Its the rider not the bike!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by richesm View Post
    Kurt Sorge wins Red Bull rampage on a giant, Danny Hart wins downhill world championships on a giant. If a giant is good enough for that then its good enough for anyones average abilities and more. As for the high and mighty riders on their £5000 bikes whos ability is worthy of a £500 bike i dont think they have the right to look down on people riding cheaper bikers than themselves. Must be embarrassing for them to get shown up by a kid on a bike that is worth less than the wheels on their bike. Its the rider not the bike!
    For the most part I think your right.

However some people know they are very bad riders & don't care that someone can whip there arse on any bike including a wallmart bike, The just want to give themself the best chance they can to have fun & stay on the bike.

Don't judge people because that same person may be looking at the $2500 bike you maybe riding & think why would they only spend 1 hours income on a bike they will ride for thousands of hours.

How much money someone spends on there bike is there choice not yours.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 11-03-2012 at 05:14 PM.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by richesm View Post
    Giant actually make some pretty expensive bikes, their top of the line bikes are all round to 5k mark.
    Im sure the ones your talking about above are 5k bikes.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Your Best Friend
    Try 9K.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Giant actually make some pretty expensive bikes, their top of the line bikes are all round to 5k mark.
    Actually the bike Sorge rode was basically a stock '13 Glory, just with stiffer suspension and increased tire pressure of course. Hart rides a bit further from stock Glory, but the angles are mostly the same. The actually made changes from the '12 to the '13 based on what he and Neethling said they wanted changed geo wise. I think the biggest difference is he gets to run special suspension from Rock Shox.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have notice this only happens online and none of the haters seem to have a good reason for it either. It seems to be just peoples inherent unfounded aversion to anything different that potentially threatens their belief system upon which they have built their self-esteem.

I was also loving I when I read the lastet reports form the bloggers tour the giant factory. They are all hand welded.........haha.....not that how or where a big is made has any bearing on whether I buy it or not.....but still lovin it...... another tick for giant.

nre
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here in the UK Giants (Anthem & Trance especially) are very well respected, can't remember hearing anyone with a bad word to say about them.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by nre View Post
    Here in the UK Giants (Anthem & Trance especially) are very well respected, can't remember hearing anyone with a bad word to say about them.
    That is why the hate is odd. They build damn good bikes that are spec'd with great components, but they get hated on at times. I think it just comes along with corporate hate these days, and love for smaller, "boutique" brands. Certainly, those smaller companies do good things, and have a way to innovate that a larger company can't do as fast, but you have to think that a larger company can bring better and more technology to the table for R&D.

Really, to each their own I guess. I love my Giant, regardless of what others think about it. I also don't need to be with the latest trendy brand either to make myself feel better.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    People don't seem to like the brand because they do not know anything about it. I have been riding Giant bicycles both road and mountain for the last 4 years. I am a very happy with their bikes.
    Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ive got 2 reigns,an stp and an alias, they all rock...best bikes for each intended purpose.....giant for life

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am a big supporter - love the maestro suspension!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    its stupid.. people who spend a bunch of cash like to look down their nose at others with a lesser bike..

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I spent about $5k on a new bike that I wanted to feel just like my Glory going down, but still be able to pedal up. It was killing me to pay $2k more than the Glory, but the insurance check for my stolen bike helped negate that.

I kept thinking, why am I paying more for "less bike"?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

Team Velveeta™

Perception is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    That is why the hate is odd. They build damn good bikes that are spec'd with great components...
    This goes way back.

Yes, Giant makes lots of the frames for other mfg-ers. They always have (well, back into the 80's anyway--that's always for lots of the people on mtbr who weren't born yet).

If you go back 25 or so years, Giant was really only occupying the low end. The bikes were a good value by comparison to other brand bikes at similar price points. But they were not cool, they were associated with entry level, and the colors and graphics were dull. Nothing was cutting edge like maestro, it was just a basic, plain, entry level bike.

The bike industry has a cultural memory that tends to put Giant into a role. Think about Hyundai. It's not a perfect analogy, but similar. Hyundai is making some really good cars, but lots of people just think of them as the budget sh!tbox that they were decades ago. It's really hard for a brand to shake the perception that people form when they first learn about it.

So that's all. It's too bad when people are unable to see clearly because an established bias colors their perception. But perception is reality.

It really is too bad, because like always, Giant bikes are always a good value in terms of parts spec and technology. And now they have some bikes that compete with the best.

But some people will always see a Hyundai as a sh!tbox no matter what it really is, and they'll always see a Giant as a low-end bike no matter what it really is.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    That's a really good analogy. Even today Hyundai makes good cars, and in the future they probably still will. However, I will still look down upon them for being Hyundai. Although, a lot of this is due to the fact that I look at their cars and see blatant copies of other vehicles. Especially the Genesis sedan.

Even if they make great cars in the future and designs that looks mostly like their own, I probably won't forget the past.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

swapped frame

Hello everybody!

So, as I was telling weeks ago I had something going on with my Revel bike. In the end I could get a frame raplacement.
    Among other things that I could solve, I noticed that the mechanic did not screw tight the ring for the cartridge (the one "near" the crankset) for some reason. Do you think that the cartridge was correctly mounted? Do I need to put that ring well in place? To my opinion the ring has not been rightly screwed. (Sorry my vocabulary is very limited in this field)

Here's a link to pic: cstcr.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/mixr1rltd1/img4/

thanks
    Last edited by m3br; 12-11-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: update link to pic

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    If anything I learned that there is more troll and idoits that surf the net than people who are actually knowledgable about the subject. Don't believe anything you read on here. Giant makes great bikes. If they didn't, they wouldn't be competing in the World Cup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by m3br View Post
    Hello everybody!

So, as I was telling weeks ago I had something going on with my Revel bike. In the end I could get a frame raplacement.
    Among other things that I could solve, I noticed that the mechanic did not screw tight the ring for the cartridge (the one "near" the crankset) for some reason. Do you think that the cartridge was correctly mounted? Do I need to put that ring well in place? To my opinion the ring has not been rightly screwed. (Sorry my vocabulary is very limited in this field)

Here's a link to pic: cstcr.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/mixr1rltd1/img4/

thanks
    I would say it was done right, I have a press fit and mine sticks out like that as well, the BB length is greater then the bikes BB shell although he should have put a spacer in there to take up the slack. BB can fit 68-73 in most cases and thats why they usually have spacers. I could be wrong though take it back and ask if your not sure.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    I would say it was done right, I have a press fit and mine sticks out like that as well, the BB length is greater then the bikes BB shell although he should have put a spacer in there to take up the slack. BB can fit 68-73 in most cases and thats why they usually have spacers. I could be wrong though take it back and ask if your not sure.

Thank you. I completely understand the point. I did not consider this possibility because the swapped frame belongs to the same category as the previous one (and apparently has the same specs) and I did not remember anything sticking out like that. Anyways I am also glad to know that in such a case the "state of the art" is to add a spacer. So the spacer is used also to prevent fluids to "enter"
    Thank you again

mtbr member
    Don't get hung up on it. It's a little sad to see MTB'ing going down the course of road (where exclusivity can be all important), but as MTB'ing was (I believe) originally based on individuality, any mass produced product is seen as a sellout.

I possibly have the most basic of MTB's to be found on this website (a Yukon SX) but it's been tweaked, it's been XC'd and it just works.

When I can afford/need to upgrade I will...maybe even to another Giant (gasp!)
    [SIZE="3"]"The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Go ride a Boutique brand bike and compare it to the Giant Maestro bike. You'll realize the Giant bike is the better bike overall and for the price. Nothing comes close to the Maestro suspension. I think the people who bash Giant are the ones who made the mistake and bought the boutique bike and realize they made a very bad desicion once they were able to put a leg over the Maestro bike.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I rode a Pivot Phoenix, and yeah I felt it was better than my Glory in that it accelerated and pedaled amazingly. That doesn't make $1-2k better though. As far as descending and the stuff that matters, it was pretty much the same as far as I could tell.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    When I first got into mtb riding as a teen Giants were the ride of prevalence in my area. There were other brands but they were considerably more and the dealers were having trouble supporting them. Giant on the other hand was quick and painless when it came to frame warranties(which my friends were in the early freeride movement on XC stuff so they tested). I had a couple mtbs before getting to my first Sedona and been all Giant since. 2 Sedonas still in the fleet, and had an XTC for a while. That was possibly the most nimble XC bike I have ever touched, though ultimately I decided it wasn't my style.
    Around here everyone seems to do Trek or Cannondale. One Giant shop out of a myriad of Treks. Never really encountered any snobbery to speak of, just some surprise of having a non-T bike

trail projectile
    It's a branding issue. They have not developed a brand identity for the bikes but rather just repeat the idea that they are the biggest maker out there.

If they could identify what makes their bikes distinctive and communicate those attributes they'd build real value---especially since the product itself is of such good quality.

And yes communicate the brand though the paint job.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast