Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I don't see that snobby attitude here. I can count all the Giants I've seen on one hand so far on the trails. Most ride Specialized or Trek here. I rode everything I could before I bought my XTC2 and although the components were on the weak side, it rode nicer than the other bikes in it's class.

The boutique bikes are way too expensive IMHO for what you get. Giant builds the best frames and they build frames for many others. I test rode the Scott's while testing my bike and they only had a 5 yr. warranty while Giant builds their frames. I thought that was pretty funny.

One thing I really like is the Maestro suspension. I've tried the Tallboy and the Niner bikes and the Maestro suspension just seems nicer to me. I thought the Giant bikes pedalled better and I think they are a much better value overall.
    I'd save the thousands and buy the Giant AnthemX 29 or Trance X 29.
    Last edited by excaliber; 09-10-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Eat, Poop, Pedal.

Haha I'm the opposite..

Haha i usually "smug" the guy that went out and bought the most expensive bike he could because its "cool" and he "needs" it.. Some of the most sketchy riders i see are on 5k+ bikes haha.. Its kind of like people going out and buying a lambo to send the message im a badass with money. I have a '10 Rincon that i have customized and built and also a '12 reign 2 I'm doing the same to. And yes i didnt even spring for the reign 1 or x. I liked the black better, also i like putting components on it that I like and want!
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I can honestly say no one has ever said anything bad about any bike I have owned, I have bought Norco, Cannondale and now a Giant, all have been good. My cannondale is 19 years old and still a 25 lbs XC bike and still has full warrranty on frame Hell even the head shock still works and has had zero work on it. For me I could care less what someone is riding or how good they are, you having fun? Thats all that counts, you dont need a 6000 dollar bike to have fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

The only negative I can see is that there are lots of them. But to hammer them because they represent value???

My gf and I have owned 9 or 10 Giants. Never a single issue. I HAVE had issues with the other brands I've dealth with; Trek and Specialized. Not bagging them, but thems are the facts.
    Last edited by lucifuge; 09-12-2012 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Without giant, I wouldnt be in this sport. $1900 for a reign 2 with fox suspension front and rear. Yes, i know they are low end parts but 1900 is enough for a frame only if I go for other brands

mtbr member
    The rider makes the bike. To be honest I use to be guilty of brand bashing myself. I would never say it to the person though. When I look at department store brand bikes I can't help feel bad for the rider. I too have had a department brand bike. So that I feel comes from previous experiance. When I seen others on expensive exotics, my first impression was rich or mommy/daddy paid for that. I know that's bad but thats what I use to think. Just like with giant I think most who never owned one are the ones bashing it. I never liked Chevy but loved Ford. I drove a Ford truck growing up and my cousin drove a Chevy truck. It was a constant battle on who had the better truck. I never gave into Chevy until I fell on hard times and had to buy a Chevy. In the end they are both great trucks. I no longer bash chevy but I still won't buy another. Lol

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Let the haters hate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Two points:

(1.)
    The other extreme on price confuses me too; some Giant bikes are quite dear, it's simply that to buy the equivalent in another brand costs significantly more. My Trance X Advanced SL 0 wasn't cheap, but I did get it on a major discount. I would've paid a sh*tload more in another brand to get the equivalent.

(2.)
    If you compare Giant and another brand for an almost identically specced bike; break it down:

1. remove groupo/brakes
    2. remove wheels
    3. remove suspension
    4. etc etc

Now, (1). -(4.) are the SAME between both bikes leaving you with the frames. Giant makes their own frames (AND a good chance of making the other brand in comparison here). Then the extra you pay is due to frames. Yes, there is a difference attributed to brand, BUT in terms of the actual physical bike, it's the frame. So to bag Giant is essentially to bag the frame. So..........IF the Giant frame is fundamentally bad then why do other companies get Giant to produce frames for them!?

Other alternative is that the comparison company makes there own frames and the extra you pay is because that frame is so much better. Well as an amateur rider I will never be able to tell the difference. If the Giant frame is fundamentally rock solid and does it job, I'm over the moon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I haven't noticed much hate on Giant bikes on the canadian west coast. Seems every big brand gets its fair share of negative views.

Recently I had only been riding on Cannondale's and Treks, but got onto a Giant today and immediately fell in love with it. Honestly I would have never gone out looking for a Giant, but I'm really glad I ended up at a Giant dealer today. From the research I've done, its the best bike for the money and it looks awesome. So good enough for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    well i only had my xtc 2012 model for about 9 months or so but found when looking at scott , trek and few other brands they had best range and also the price range of 1000-2000 that i could afford.

i def couldnt afford some other the other bikes some of the stores weren't willing to budge on last year or year before that bikes so that put me off buying there.

i saw some really extreme downhill bike that were way past my skill level would be wasted on me but were 3000 plus

mtbr member
    I got 2 old Giant MTB and shopping for a new one now and a 2006 Toyota Corolla I just love things that work and last.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by purdyboy View Post
    Also in Oz.
    My mate (who was from Colorado but living in Oz now) jokingly called my 2012 Anthem X0 29er "the Toyota Corolla of mountainbikes"... But at the same time he heaped praise on it.

Out on the trails I would actually say i've only had positive interest in the bike.

This is my first Giant, so not brand-proud etc.
    Still amazed at the performance that's crammed into this bike for the money I payed.

Anyhow, who cares what other people think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My bike is a Giant. I haven't encountered any hate, but probably because the LBS is a dealer for them so they're common and people seem to have an amount of respect for them. I am not sure I am going to stay with Giant when I upgrade, though. But it's not because it's not a good bike. I love mine, and it's what got me out there on the trails, so I'll always respect Giant!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    As someone who owns two Giants (and used to own a 'boutique' frame which didn't perform as well), I do have to admit that the paint schemes are bloody awful.

It's hard to get excited about a great performing frame it it looks like it's designed by a 13 year old with crayons!

mtbr member
    Yeah My bikes are both kinda ugly 01 XTC SE2 and Iguana. I need to brake one down at a time and get them refinished.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    As someone who owns two Giants (and used to own a 'boutique' frame which didn't perform as well), I do have to admit that the paint schemes are bloody awful.

It's hard to get excited about a great performing frame it it looks like it's designed by a 13 year old with crayons!

TRANCER
    I love my 2009 Giant Trance X. And thinking about the 29'er soon. I get **** about a Giant as well. But they don't find it too funny when im outclimbing them and their fancy boutique brand bikes tha cost twice as much for the same quality.
    Ride

No Stranger to danger....
    In my OP i probably a bit harsh with the use of the word hate, its not really hate its just a bit of a snobby attitude from a few about Giant bikes, needless to say this is never from anybody that owns a Giant, they are great bikes, in fact the Maestro on my reign is imo the most efficient and best suspension system on the market..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hello :-) I bought a revel, Revel LTD1. I found the frame to have little "spots"/"stains" that I have never seen before in frames. I put some notes here (long history.....): [cstcr.wordpress.com]. Are these "defects" common for these "low end" mtbs (or revel)?
    Thanks,
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by m3br View Post
    Hello :-) I bought a revel, Revel LTD1. I found the frame to have little "spots"/"stains" that I have never seen before in frames. I put some notes here (long history.....): [cstcr.wordpress.com]. Are these "defects" common for these "low end" mtbs (or revel)?
    Thanks,
    dan
    Congrats Dan on your new bike, mate can you take some pics and put them up so we can have a look at what your talkin about, cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi :-)

I detailed the very long and recent story at this web address: cstcr.wordpress.com

For sure I was very enthusiast about the brand and I strongly chose it but later I found out that maybe there's something that should be "tuned" with customer relation somewhere in the long long chain

This has also to do with "why no love..." that's the reason I decided to post it here

d

Quote Originally Posted by m3br View Post
    Hi :-)

I detailed the very long and recent story at this web address: cstcr.wordpress.com

For sure I was very enthusiast about the brand and I strongly chose it but later I found out that maybe there's something that should be "tuned" with customer relation somewhere in the long long chain

This has also to do with "why no love..." that's the reason I decided to post it here

d
    Dan first off nice bike mate, it looks great, look i think giant have been pretty good so far, they sent you a new bike, its a bit dissapointing that it has a few marks on it but they are very small, i wouldnt worry about them, its a white frame and its gonna get a few more.
    The one on the crank is nothing, your crank is gonna get tonnes of scratches from your shoes any way, and if you dont like it just touch it up with a bit of model paint but i wouldnt worry.
    the one on your fork is the same, its nothing, you will have heaps of those in a year anyway, i wouldnt worry about it, its been done in transit id say but its so tiny i wouldnt worry.
    the very light smudges are basically nothing, i would not even notice them if i looked at your bike, its a white bike, its gonna get heaps of marks and scratches.

I can see your a real nice guy through the letter i read, and your prob a bit of a perfectionist, just remember its a bike and its meant to have lots of scratches and marks on it, a month after i buy a 3 thousand dollar bike its covered in them.

Remember too that its your job now to learn how to service it and make sure the wheels are mounted correctly etc, theres always a few lil issues you have to sort out with a new bike, you might have to fiddle with the breaks n gears to get them right, thats all normal..

My advise is, get out there and ride it hard, forget about any tiny blemishes, Giant did send you out the new one and it looks pretty good to me mate, so dont hold back, get on it n have some fun and go put a few more scratches on it then you wont even notice the others.
    cheers mate and PM me if you have any dramas with it n we can sort them out.

Tone's

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    :-)

thanks for your comments and suggestions, very appreciated.

Well, yes, I tend to be perfectionist. But unfortunately I am really not so :-) I am very aware of the future of the bike, taking a look at my previous one (not the same brand). Not a single person would recommend to drive it ehehe.

As for the story, I know it is a little problem but there are some questions that put me into "action mode". this is a second bike that has been pushed into the market with same little issue (I suppose). I think that owner's manual do some "recommendations" about stains (that can vary in nature, of course). As far as I know, It is well proven that warranty will cover again my problem. Who will take charge of mounting/remounting the new bike? Everyone knows the answer: probably last ring of the selling chain. Then I ask myself: was the issue known before sending them out? How many of them?
    I even would have been very pleased to receive a _formal_ letter stating that issue is not an issue, and probably I would have been much happier and could start driving!
    For sure I will never get any answer but Okay I tried to ask to myself, at least :-)

d

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I thought people hated Trek?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I love my Giant!Why no love and heaps of hate for Giant bikes?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351471552.874567.jpg

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by macduff View Post
    Just bought myself a new old stock reign X2 from my lbs. I've been out of the loop of whats current in the mtb scene for a long while as my last bike purchase was an orange X2 full suspension back in 1997, still have it. Maybe Giant are too much the Ford of the MTB world for the bike tarts but I'm loving mine...1 down
    Dead on with what I was thinking. I liken it to my buddy's 2003 Mustang Cobra. In the scheme of things, it is a cheap car in the $40k range (new). But for the performance you get (supercharged 390hp) it easily keeps up with and often out-performs much, much more expensive cars.

To me, that is what Giant is. Value and performance. They easily rival, and often out-perform much more expensive bikes.......and they hate them for it. I think that is what all the hate is......JEALOUSY.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I agree, I was going to buy a new bike next year but I love this XTC 29er 2 so much that I decided to spend some cash and upgrade it. It just got some new Stans ZTR Arch Ex on Hope hubs. The next round of parts will be the new Hope Evo Tech V4 brakes with matching floating rotors. I have new carbon bars waiting to go on and a carbon seat post is in the works as well. Shifters I will replace when they fail. I just love the ride and the way the bike handles and figured why spend another 2k and not get what I want, even the 4k bikes dont have parts I want so I decided to upgrade what I have. Oh getting a new Hope stem as well, can you tell I love Hope products LOL.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast