Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 105
  1. #51
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    I think people look down on Giant more since it's a mainstream brand. I never thought much of them until I rode one and realized they make good bikes, as well as crappy (but cheap) bikes.

    I would say people hate Special_ed though, but that's for other reasons.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1
    Kurt Sorge wins Red Bull rampage on a giant, Danny Hart wins downhill world championships on a giant. If a giant is good enough for that then its good enough for anyones average abilities and more. As for the high and mighty riders on their £5000 bikes whos ability is worthy of a £500 bike i dont think they have the right to look down on people riding cheaper bikers than themselves. Must be embarrassing for them to get shown up by a kid on a bike that is worth less than the wheels on their bike. Its the rider not the bike!

  3. #53
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Quote Originally Posted by richesm View Post
    Kurt Sorge wins Red Bull rampage on a giant, Danny Hart wins downhill world championships on a giant. If a giant is good enough for that then its good enough for anyones average abilities and more. As for the high and mighty riders on their £5000 bikes whos ability is worthy of a £500 bike i dont think they have the right to look down on people riding cheaper bikers than themselves. Must be embarrassing for them to get shown up by a kid on a bike that is worth less than the wheels on their bike. Its the rider not the bike!
    For the most part I think your right.

    However some people know they are very bad riders & don't care that someone can whip there arse on any bike including a wallmart bike, The just want to give themself the best chance they can to have fun & stay on the bike.


    Don't judge people because that same person may be looking at the $2500 bike you maybe riding & think why would they only spend 1 hours income on a bike they will ride for thousands of hours.

    How much money someone spends on there bike is there choice not yours.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 11-03-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  4. #54
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by richesm View Post
    Kurt Sorge wins Red Bull rampage on a giant, Danny Hart wins downhill world championships on a giant. If a giant is good enough for that then its good enough for anyones average abilities and more. As for the high and mighty riders on their £5000 bikes whos ability is worthy of a £500 bike i dont think they have the right to look down on people riding cheaper bikers than themselves. Must be embarrassing for them to get shown up by a kid on a bike that is worth less than the wheels on their bike. Its the rider not the bike!
    Giant actually make some pretty expensive bikes, their top of the line bikes are all round to 5k mark.
    Im sure the ones your talking about above are 5k bikes.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  5. #55
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,639
    Try 9K.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  6. #56
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Giant actually make some pretty expensive bikes, their top of the line bikes are all round to 5k mark.
    Im sure the ones your talking about above are 5k bikes.
    Actually the bike Sorge rode was basically a stock '13 Glory, just with stiffer suspension and increased tire pressure of course. Hart rides a bit further from stock Glory, but the angles are mostly the same. The actually made changes from the '12 to the '13 based on what he and Neethling said they wanted changed geo wise. I think the biggest difference is he gets to run special suspension from Rock Shox.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    30
    I have notice this only happens online and none of the haters seem to have a good reason for it either. It seems to be just peoples inherent unfounded aversion to anything different that potentially threatens their belief system upon which they have built their self-esteem.

    I was also loving I when I read the lastet reports form the bloggers tour the giant factory. They are all hand welded.........haha.....not that how or where a big is made has any bearing on whether I buy it or not.....but still lovin it...... another tick for giant.

  8. #58
    nre
    nre is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3
    Here in the UK Giants (Anthem & Trance especially) are very well respected, can't remember hearing anyone with a bad word to say about them.

  9. #59
    Good, green, Oregon.
    Reputation: Giant Chachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by nre View Post
    Here in the UK Giants (Anthem & Trance especially) are very well respected, can't remember hearing anyone with a bad word to say about them.
    That is why the hate is odd. They build damn good bikes that are spec'd with great components, but they get hated on at times. I think it just comes along with corporate hate these days, and love for smaller, "boutique" brands. Certainly, those smaller companies do good things, and have a way to innovate that a larger company can't do as fast, but you have to think that a larger company can bring better and more technology to the table for R&D.

    Really, to each their own I guess. I love my Giant, regardless of what others think about it. I also don't need to be with the latest trendy brand either to make myself feel better.
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (Ordered)

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fatboy Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    149
    People don't seem to like the brand because they do not know anything about it. I have been riding Giant bicycles both road and mountain for the last 4 years. I am a very happy with their bikes.
    Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    ive got 2 reigns,an stp and an alias, they all rock...best bikes for each intended purpose.....giant for life

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10
    I am a big supporter - love the maestro suspension!

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    103
    its stupid.. people who spend a bunch of cash like to look down their nose at others with a lesser bike..

  14. #64
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    I spent about $5k on a new bike that I wanted to feel just like my Glory going down, but still be able to pedal up. It was killing me to pay $2k more than the Glory, but the insurance check for my stolen bike helped negate that.

    I kept thinking, why am I paying more for "less bike"?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  15. #65
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,973

    Perception is reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Giant actually make some pretty expensive bikes, their top of the line bikes are all round to 5k mark.
    Im sure the ones your talking about above are 5k bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    That is why the hate is odd. They build damn good bikes that are spec'd with great components...
    This goes way back.

    Yes, Giant makes lots of the frames for other mfg-ers. They always have (well, back into the 80's anyway--that's always for lots of the people on mtbr who weren't born yet).

    If you go back 25 or so years, Giant was really only occupying the low end. The bikes were a good value by comparison to other brand bikes at similar price points. But they were not cool, they were associated with entry level, and the colors and graphics were dull. Nothing was cutting edge like maestro, it was just a basic, plain, entry level bike.

    The bike industry has a cultural memory that tends to put Giant into a role. Think about Hyundai. It's not a perfect analogy, but similar. Hyundai is making some really good cars, but lots of people just think of them as the budget sh!tbox that they were decades ago. It's really hard for a brand to shake the perception that people form when they first learn about it.

    So that's all. It's too bad when people are unable to see clearly because an established bias colors their perception. But perception is reality.

    It really is too bad, because like always, Giant bikes are always a good value in terms of parts spec and technology. And now they have some bikes that compete with the best.

    But some people will always see a Hyundai as a sh!tbox no matter what it really is, and they'll always see a Giant as a low-end bike no matter what it really is.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  16. #66
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    That's a really good analogy. Even today Hyundai makes good cars, and in the future they probably still will. However, I will still look down upon them for being Hyundai. Although, a lot of this is due to the fact that I look at their cars and see blatant copies of other vehicles. Especially the Genesis sedan.

    Even if they make great cars in the future and designs that looks mostly like their own, I probably won't forget the past.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5

    swapped frame

    Hello everybody!

    So, as I was telling weeks ago I had something going on with my Revel bike. In the end I could get a frame raplacement.
    Among other things that I could solve, I noticed that the mechanic did not screw tight the ring for the cartridge (the one "near" the crankset) for some reason. Do you think that the cartridge was correctly mounted? Do I need to put that ring well in place? To my opinion the ring has not been rightly screwed. (Sorry my vocabulary is very limited in this field)

    Here's a link to pic: cstcr.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/mixr1rltd1/img4/

    thanks
    Last edited by m3br; 12-11-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: update link to pic

  18. #68
    Flying in High in the Sky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    272
    If anything I learned that there is more troll and idoits that surf the net than people who are actually knowledgable about the subject. Don't believe anything you read on here. Giant makes great bikes. If they didn't, they wouldn't be competing in the World Cup.

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by m3br View Post
    Hello everybody!

    So, as I was telling weeks ago I had something going on with my Revel bike. In the end I could get a frame raplacement.
    Among other things that I could solve, I noticed that the mechanic did not screw tight the ring for the cartridge (the one "near" the crankset) for some reason. Do you think that the cartridge was correctly mounted? Do I need to put that ring well in place? To my opinion the ring has not been rightly screwed. (Sorry my vocabulary is very limited in this field)

    Here's a link to pic: cstcr.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/mixr1rltd1/img4/

    thanks
    I would say it was done right, I have a press fit and mine sticks out like that as well, the BB length is greater then the bikes BB shell although he should have put a spacer in there to take up the slack. BB can fit 68-73 in most cases and thats why they usually have spacers. I could be wrong though take it back and ask if your not sure.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    I would say it was done right, I have a press fit and mine sticks out like that as well, the BB length is greater then the bikes BB shell although he should have put a spacer in there to take up the slack. BB can fit 68-73 in most cases and thats why they usually have spacers. I could be wrong though take it back and ask if your not sure.

    Thank you. I completely understand the point. I did not consider this possibility because the swapped frame belongs to the same category as the previous one (and apparently has the same specs) and I did not remember anything sticking out like that. Anyways I am also glad to know that in such a case the "state of the art" is to add a spacer. So the spacer is used also to prevent fluids to "enter"
    Thank you again

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: L'il Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    216
    Don't get hung up on it. It's a little sad to see MTB'ing going down the course of road (where exclusivity can be all important), but as MTB'ing was (I believe) originally based on individuality, any mass produced product is seen as a sellout.

    I possibly have the most basic of MTB's to be found on this website (a Yukon SX) but it's been tweaked, it's been XC'd and it just works.

    When I can afford/need to upgrade I will...maybe even to another Giant (gasp!)
    "The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    208
    Go ride a Boutique brand bike and compare it to the Giant Maestro bike. You'll realize the Giant bike is the better bike overall and for the price. Nothing comes close to the Maestro suspension. I think the people who bash Giant are the ones who made the mistake and bought the boutique bike and realize they made a very bad desicion once they were able to put a leg over the Maestro bike.

  23. #73
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    I rode a Pivot Phoenix, and yeah I felt it was better than my Glory in that it accelerated and pedaled amazingly. That doesn't make $1-2k better though. As far as descending and the stuff that matters, it was pretty much the same as far as I could tell.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supersedona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    646
    When I first got into mtb riding as a teen Giants were the ride of prevalence in my area. There were other brands but they were considerably more and the dealers were having trouble supporting them. Giant on the other hand was quick and painless when it came to frame warranties(which my friends were in the early freeride movement on XC stuff so they tested). I had a couple mtbs before getting to my first Sedona and been all Giant since. 2 Sedonas still in the fleet, and had an XTC for a while. That was possibly the most nimble XC bike I have ever touched, though ultimately I decided it wasn't my style.
    Around here everyone seems to do Trek or Cannondale. One Giant shop out of a myriad of Treks. Never really encountered any snobbery to speak of, just some surprise of having a non-T bike

  25. #75
    trail projectile
    Reputation: Thiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    69
    It's a branding issue. They have not developed a brand identity for the bikes but rather just repeat the idea that they are the biggest maker out there.

    If they could identify what makes their bikes distinctive and communicate those attributes they'd build real value---especially since the product itself is of such good quality.

    And yes communicate the brand though the paint job.

  26. #76
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,639
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    Go ride a Boutique brand bike and compare it to the Giant Maestro bike. You'll realize the Giant bike is the better bike overall and for the price. Nothing comes close to the Maestro suspension. I think the people who bash Giant are the ones who made the mistake and bought the boutique bike and realize they made a very bad desicion once they were able to put a leg over the Maestro bike.
    How's that Kool-aid taste? Giants are great bikes, no argument. However, there are other great bikes from other manufacturers as well. You realize you are bashing other brands in a "why are people bashing Giant" thread? Hypocritical much?
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    How's that Kool-aid taste? Giants are great bikes, no argument. However, there are other great bikes from other manufacturers as well. You realize you are bashing other brands in a "why are people bashing Giant" thread? Hypocritical much?
    You're the one drinking the koolaid. What other brands was I bashing numbnuts? There's always a "that guy" in every crowd.

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiel View Post
    It's a branding issue. They have not developed a brand identity for the bikes but rather just repeat the idea that they are the biggest maker out there.

    If they could identify what makes their bikes distinctive and communicate those attributes they'd build real value---especially since the product itself is of such good quality.

    And yes communicate the brand though the paint job.
    An excellent response, and it goes a long way to the crux of the matter.


    my 2cents....
    From their website, it's clear they are trying to offer a bike to everyone. This is a good and a bad thing, depending upon who you are. The website has sugar coated /friendly feel and while I don't disagree with that per se, it does distance itself from the more hardcore brands which go out of their way to promote their mechanical excellence (example; I love the look/feel of the Trek webpages, but I personally don't like Trek bikes through experience). I don't like the marketing or feel of the Giant webpages, but I am open enough to look past that and view the bike for what it is and the value it represents. My gut feeling is it puts off a lot of serious riders. Unfortunately for Giant, IMHO, their really top-line bikes get tainted with the 'generalist' and friendly feel of the website. But, because they sell, and sell well to the masses, I would suspect they are not unhappy with their outlook.

    Finally, with the communality of bike-parts between bike brands, basically the frame and Maestro suspension standout as uniqueness to Giant. Now I for one have no issues with the frames and I've always loved the simplicity of the Maestro suspension, so if I can pay a lot less for a well specced and robust bike, I'm happy.

  29. #79
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,690
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I have had more Giant FS bikes than I care to remember, I have been on Niners for about 3 years, Current bike is a Jet9 RDO.

    I rate Giant very high, & If I wasn't on a Niner it would be Giant i would be going back to.

    The Anthem X29 I did a bit of miles on was a much nicer bike than the Tallboy carbon that I owned IMO.

    For the price point Giant is well up on many makes.
    High praise indeed! My first MTB was a Giant SE Boulder and it was bomb-proof. Weighed a ton but I didn't know any different. Moved on to a lighter Felt h/t and was satisfied for a year and a half, but decided I wanted a f/s bike. The Felt f/s bikes didn't interest me as they appeared too racy and that's what I wanted to move away from. The racy, bent-over positioning, plus it was their first foray into f/s bikes and I ain't gonna be a beta tester.

    The first company I explored was Spesh (forget the model) and it felt nice, but still too racy. I demoed a Tallboy and a TX29 but the TX29 just felt right, like a broke-in glove. Upon further research, I settled on the Giant which is a pretty sparse brand where I live. I almost never see them on the trails, so I'm sure when I roll up to a group on the TX29 there will be some curiosity indeed.

    Giant, being the company that it is, has the engineering horsepower to build a better bike, conduct heaps of r&d, and invest in the 'little things' that ultimately create a better experience for the consumer. Maestro and WheelSystems are good examples of this. I want the best bike for my money, regardless of the name on the downtube. If you're the other way around, go buy a Moots.
    Last edited by MTBeing; 12-30-2012 at 04:27 PM.

  30. #80
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,639
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    You're the one drinking the koolaid. What other brands was I bashing numbnuts? There's always a "that guy" in every crowd.
    I save the neg rep for those, like you, who can't form a cohesive argument without resorting to name calling. I'm posting it here so others will know you earned it.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    20
    As has already been noted, haters gonna hate. I've owned Bridgestone, Trek, Diamondback, Kona, and Specialized bikes. My Specialized was an S-Works FSR/XC and it was a great bike but in terms of value and all around performance it could not hold a candle to my Trance XO. The bottom line is I don't care what a bike snob may think about the Giant brand. At this point the only bike that will ever replace my Trance XO is a newer equivalent. I'm sold on and committed to the Giant brand as long as they continue to produce the outstanding value, quality, and technology found in the current lineup. BTW, my first Giant was a Trance 3 which led to the XO, so yeah, I'm hooked. I can't change what people will say or think about my bike and frankly I don't care, I'll continue to let my ride speak for itself in terms of performance, reliability, and value.

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    121
    Up until this week, my one bike was a hardtail from Euro sports warehouse retailer, Decathlon. Very good hardtail, decent fork and spec (with dual control shifters, not everyone's cup of tea), but I used to work for the company and their mid range hardtails like mine always get good reviews for value for money. Here in the UK a Specialied equivalent is about 30 to 40% more. Round where I live there are a lot of folks who have some pretty nice bikes, the likes of SAnta Cruz, Orange etc being quite popular. My bike doesn't get a look in as an unknown brand, but I enjoy it none the less.

    Point is, I am hardly a bike snob and my hardtail has not been ridden anywhere near its limits by me, although I have had memorable riding in Tahoe and Wales.

    Come the end of last year, I am keen to buy another bike, mid life crisis creeping up on me. After much research I landed a Trance X frame and have just started to build it up, on a budget, so no XTR for me. I asked the local bike shop to assist with fitting the bottom bracket and forks. These guys sell some really top end bikes, I am often amazed at the bikes hey have in stock, top end Specialized, Orange, Whyte and a good selection of fancy Italian road bikes. They were very complimentary about the bike when I took it in and commented on how well they rode. You don't see so many Giant bikes around this area, so maybe it is just because they are rare, but I will be proud to be on a Giant and won't be bothered that mine wasn't more than half a year of house repayments.

  33. #83
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by gribble View Post
    Up until this week, my one bike was a hardtail from Euro sports warehouse retailer, Decathlon. Very good hardtail, decent fork and spec (with dual control shifters, not everyone's cup of tea), but I used to work for the company and their mid range hardtails like mine always get good reviews for value for money. Here in the UK a Specialied equivalent is about 30 to 40% more. Round where I live there are a lot of folks who have some pretty nice bikes, the likes of SAnta Cruz, Orange etc being quite popular. My bike doesn't get a look in as an unknown brand, but I enjoy it none the less.

    Point is, I am hardly a bike snob and my hardtail has not been ridden anywhere near its limits by me, although I have had memorable riding in Tahoe and Wales.

    Come the end of last year, I am keen to buy another bike, mid life crisis creeping up on me. After much research I landed a Trance X frame and have just started to build it up, on a budget, so no XTR for me. I asked the local bike shop to assist with fitting the bottom bracket and forks. These guys sell some really top end bikes, I am often amazed at the bikes hey have in stock, top end Specialized, Orange, Whyte and a good selection of fancy Italian road bikes. They were very complimentary about the bike when I took it in and commented on how well they rode. You don't see so many Giant bikes around this area, so maybe it is just because they are rare, but I will be proud to be on a Giant and won't be bothered that mine wasn't more than half a year of house repayments.
    Nice buy mate, the Trance's are killer bikes in anybodies books, the Maestro sus beats the likes of santa cruz and orange hands down, youve got a bike there you can be really proud of.
    Ive got a 2012 reign, its a killer bike too, im yet to ride anything i like as much, so good score on the trance, you made a great choice,
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    121
    Thanks Tone, I have not had much opportunity to ride full suspension from the competition, so purchase was based largely on Internet research, magazine tests (UK publication MBR have given the Trance X4 very good reviews over the last couple of years). I also know my brother has been impressed with his 6 year old Anthem.

    Glad to hear they ride well compared to the competition looking forward to trying it out and actually riding next weekend.
    Last edited by gribble; 01-06-2013 at 11:33 PM.

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    In my area (Central Florida) I haven't noticed any hate at all for Giants...they seem to be pretty prevalent. Giant's, Specialized, and Cannondales are all the popular brands in this area.

    I just bought a Revel 1 29er, and it's a great bike. It's the cheapest 29er Giant makes and one of the cheapest bikes overall that they make, but I still enjoy it and it hasn't let me down yet. It has very noisy brakes when wet and dirty and the front fork is jello, but I paid $500 new for it...not much to complain about there.


    Now if only Giant would make the Yukon FX in a 29er for when I upgrade next year...

  36. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    543
    Damn. All this Giant hate is new to me (in fact - I liked that not many had a trance X). Are they snickering behind my back at the trails?

    Just passed up a trek for another giant X product , one factor was looks and another was brand loyalty and the mighty maestro. This from a guy who also has a brand loyalty to BMWs - the kinds that start with the letter M.

    I felt dirty walking around that Trek dealer. I almost cheated.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jimmy V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    89
    My dealer carries Giant and Trek.
    I love my 2012 AX29er, my wife loves her 2013 AX29erW, and my son-inlaw is quite fond of his 2012 XTC29er. The manager races on a 2013 AX29er advanced. Many friends and acquaintances love their Giants. So I would have to say I did not know of this hate, and now I guess I just don't care.
    I must admit that I do see other bikes I also like.

  38. #88
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,639
    Like I said:

    Latest Reputation Received
    Thread Date Posted By Comment
    Why no love and heaps... 01-20-2013 01:33 PM excaliber idiot

    Someone do me a favor and give him some more neg rep for me. People like this have no business being on a constructive forum. They add nothing to it.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    As someone buying a first proper MTB and researching all the brands and individual bikes, Giant was was among the last to catch my attention. My mind just skipped over them right away, everything about them gives impression of ****ty super market bikes, mass manufactured in cheapest part of Asia with minimal QC and a lot of big words to confuse potential customers and habit of infesting the products with proprietary features (one or more of those can regardless be true). Their site looks dull, uninteresting and is not particularly functional or refined. It works fast though, no unnecessary scripts and flash elements or whatever. It required a lot of research to realize that they actually make pretty well thought out bikes, and not every big word is necessary just a lie.

    I still find Trance X 29er aesthetically pretty ****ty, and would imagine such large company should be able spend few dollars more on that. Looks don't really matter to me in the sense that I don't like bling, but I do like simple, utilitarian looks that I expect from things that are not designed bling in mind. Giant happens to look cheap bling, which is absolute worst. I just want a well performing and reasonably priced bike with little non-sense as possible. They seem to make super average bikes, but the average usually is the best for any reasonable use, and it doesn't mean average performance wise. Trance X 29er hits right spot in pretty much every aspect for me, but it was probably last bike I looked into in the "trail" category.
    Last edited by Horros; 01-26-2013 at 04:02 PM.

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Satanic Pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by irvinator View Post
    As has already been noted, haters gonna hate. I've owned Bridgestone, Trek, Diamondback, Kona, and Specialized bikes. My Specialized was an S-Works FSR/XC and it was a great bike but in terms of value and all around performance it could not hold a candle to my Trance XO. The bottom line is I don't care what a bike snob may think about the Giant brand. At this point the only bike that will ever replace my Trance XO is a newer equivalent. I'm sold on and committed to the Giant brand as long as they continue to produce the outstanding value, quality, and technology found in the current lineup. BTW, my first Giant was a Trance 3 which led to the XO, so yeah, I'm hooked. I can't change what people will say or think about my bike and frankly I don't care, I'll continue to let my ride speak for itself in terms of performance, reliability, and value.
    same here, upgrading from an alloy xtc 2 to a composite 1.

  41. #91
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Horros View Post
    As someone buying a first proper MTB and researching all the brands and individual bikes, Giant was was among the last to catch my attention. My mind just skipped over them right away, everything about them gives impression of ****ty super market bikes, mass manufactured in cheapest part of Asia with minimal QC and a lot of big words to confuse potential customers and habit of infesting the products with proprietary features (one or more of those can regardless be true). Their site looks dull, uninteresting and is not particularly functional or refined. It works fast though, no unnecessary scripts and flash elements or whatever. It required a lot of research to realize that they actually make pretty well thought out bikes, and not every big word is necessary just a lie.

    I still find Trance X 29er aesthetically pretty ****ty, and would imagine such large company should be able spend few dollars more on that. Looks don't really matter to me in the sense that I don't like bling, but I do like simple, utilitarian looks that I expect from things that are not designed bling in mind. Giant happens to look cheap bling, which is absolute worst. I just want a well performing and reasonably priced bike with little non-sense as possible. They seem to make super average bikes, but the average usually is the best for any reasonable use, and it doesn't mean average performance wise. Trance X 29er hits right spot in pretty much every aspect for me, but it was probably last bike I looked into in the "trail" category.
    LOL, just lol......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Satanic Pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    82
    dudes hard trollin

  43. #93
    Flying in High in the Sky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    272
    Like Kat Williams said...If you got haters, you must me doing something right! LOL

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Horros View Post
    As someone buying a first proper MTB and researching all the brands and individual bikes, Giant was was among the last to catch my attention. My mind just skipped over them right away, everything about them gives impression of ****ty super market bikes, mass manufactured in cheapest part of Asia with minimal QC and a lot of big words to confuse potential customers and habit of infesting the products with proprietary features (one or more of those can regardless be true). Their site looks dull, uninteresting and is not particularly functional or refined. It works fast though, no unnecessary scripts and flash elements or whatever. It required a lot of research to realize that they actually make pretty well thought out bikes, and not every big word is necessary just a lie.

    I still find Trance X 29er aesthetically pretty ****ty, and would imagine such large company should be able spend few dollars more on that. Looks don't really matter to me in the sense that I don't like bling, but I do like simple, utilitarian looks that I expect from things that are not designed bling in mind. Giant happens to look cheap bling, which is absolute worst. I just want a well performing and reasonably priced bike with little non-sense as possible. They seem to make super average bikes, but the average usually is the best for any reasonable use, and it doesn't mean average performance wise. Trance X 29er hits right spot in pretty much every aspect for me, but it was probably last bike I looked into in the "trail" category.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    LOL, just lol......
    This.

    That gets my vote for the most ridiculous post in this thread.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

  45. #95
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    It was pretty LOL but the guy has a point (and I suspect that English isn't his first language). Giant doesn't do the crazy Flash-heavy sites that guys like Santa Cruz or Yeti are obsessed with. And I do reckon that their bikes are designed to look a bit mass market, because that's really where the money is. Look at the other big brands- Specialised and Trek which also tend to have pretty naff and garish paintjobs (red and yellow Demo 8, anyone?).

    The problem here is that some people think that a frame can only be worth looking at if it's been anodised or powdercoated, or if the company has spent a bunch of money on hipster web designers.

  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Satanic Pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    82
    Giant actually has one of the best non fussy websites I've encountered in the bike world. Most of those flash heavy sites are all flash and no bang.

  47. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    I didn't know a bike manufacturers site had anything to do with the quality of their bikes.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 01-27-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  48. #98
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    I didn't know a bike manufacturers site had anything to do with he quality of their bikes.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Agreed, and i will say that there is no doubt at all that Giant make a top shelf quality product, and many of these knockers are unaware that giant have made the other branded bike they are riding and think is better built than giant lol. quite the parody.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Satanic Pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    82
    Come on, people are complaining about the aesthetics of Giant not just how they ride -- a brand image is more than just the product hence sponsorships and ****.

  50. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    I described my prejudice, initial reaction to Giant due to the brand image they give me, which is of course personal thing. Slightly exaggerated, but not much. I still find the webpage fast working, due to lack of unnecessary flash elements etc, but the information is not very clearly and logically placed every time, it looks like a generic, unpolished, cheap site, and this is one thing where my taste can actually have some value. The other problem areas are inaccuracy and incompleteness of geometry chart(s) and especially the use of non-sense, big words that are supposed to impress the customer somehow. They also don't reason their designs well (maybe because there isn't distinct design goal, just goal to make a generally good bike?). If I was, hypothetically speaking, buying a bike based on the information given on their site, I would mostly feel very unsure what I was buying, I wouldn't know what they are trying to sell me. Some other companies give much better, clearer picture of their designs etc, and that is appealing. I'm not saying though, that it's any worse than with other BIG brands, as I don't know.

    To me they give very cheap image in all possible ways, but perhaps that's what they are going for? Works for their target market? I don't know. It took me some time to realize they have my bike. I like their bike design(s), I hope you understand this part before getting into the bandwagon again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •