mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Why Giant Revel is so heavy?

Hi all,

Who can say why Revels are so heavy?

I do not believe the frame is the culprit, possibly the wheels?

I have a Revel 1 Disc (2012), and the fork is Suntour XCT v3 which is I believe 2.5Kg, so quite heavy.

I am trying to make this bike lighter and with as little investment as possible.

Any ideas?

thanks,
    meste

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The frame is heavier than the Talon which is heavier than the XTC. Lower models tend to use heavier frames along with heavier components/wheelset all around.

You'll spend more in upgrades than the bike is currently worth trying to save weight. I'd ride the heck out of it like it is until you decide you like MTB'ing and want something nicer. Then go ahead and buy a new bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    You'll spend more in upgrades than the bike is currently worth trying to save weight. I'd ride the heck out of it like it is until you decide you like MTB'ing and want something nicer. Then go ahead and buy a new bike.
    I know you are right, but I would still try to decrease the weight a little bit...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meste View Post
    I know you are right, but I would still try to decrease the weight a little bit...
    Save the money, and take the advice you've been given. It's tempting to want to make the bike you have better, but if you're serious about mountain biking, just get a better bike, and maybe keep that one for a backup. Ultimately you'll be happier and it'll cost you less money.

That said, if you want the bike to feel lighter, get a better fork, a good set of tubeless ready wheels and convert to tubeless. But before you do it, add the cost of all that up. Then do it, feel the difference, and understand you could have done a lot better by just getting a better bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It seems that I should stick to what I got and follow the advice after all... :-)

thanks guys,
    meste

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I bought a revel in June. Rode the heck out of it long enough to figure out what I wanted. Now I've been riding a trance x 29er for 10 days. I was going to upgrade, but decided it wasn't worth it to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcherer View Post
    I bought a revel in June. Rode the heck out of it long enough to figure out what I wanted. Now I've been riding a trance x 29er for 10 days. I was going to upgrade, but decided it wasn't worth it to me.
    You mean you were going to upgrade the revel, right? Not the 29r...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You mean you were going to upgrade the revel, right? Not the 29r...
    Correct. The revel cost me $500 so it wasn't worth putting a $300 fork on it to make it better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Correct. The revel cost me $500 so it wasn't worth putting a $300 fork on it to make it better.
    Yep, I understand, but from USD 500 you bought a USD 4000 (?)bike, quite an upgrade, I envy you...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yep, I understand, but from USD 500 you bought a USD 4000 (?)bike, quite an upgrade, I envy you...
    I actually went with the lower version so it was $1900 out the door. I'll upgrade parts on this on as they wear out. It should last me quite a while.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I actually went with the lower version so it was $1900 out the door. I'll upgrade parts on this on as they wear out. It should last me quite a while.
    and I am sure you are having a lot of fun with this little beast compare to the revel...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had a lot of fun on the revel for 500ish miles. I'm loving the full suspension with my 225 pounds though.

mtbr member
    Hello gurus! 2013 Revel 0 user here, and indeed, the bike is quite heavy. Reading earlier posts, does it make more sense to just sell the bike rather than try to upgrade its components? From where I am, it's better to sell your bike while it's still relatively new rather than wear it out.

And if given the chance, which makes more sense, getting a built Talon 29'er or get an XTC composite frame and assemble its components? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Whether you sell it now, or ride it until it's worn out is really your call - you won't get as much money for it as you want either way. If you just started riding, keep riding that Revel until it's worn out to make sure it's worth spending the money on a better bike, unless you just have money to throw around.

If you just have money to throw around, understand that buying a Talon vs getting an XTC frame and building that up are two different worlds cost wise. If you're under the illusion that you can build the XTC for less than a built XTC would cost, rid yourself of that illusion NOW. You can't get decent components for anything like what a manufacture the size of Giant can get them for, and they pass those cost savings along to you, believe it or not. Just buy the bike you want if it comes to that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    i own a 2012 trance x4 and now a 2012 defy, neither have made me think 'wow thats light' but they both ride so much better then the weight would suggest. with the defy its just the wheels that add huge weight as the frame without the wheels on feels good, Ive spent about 3300 on the trance x now (including original bike purchase of 1250) and yes i could of bought a top end one instead but then it would be the same as everyone else'!

I wont be upgrading the defy though as i bought it to see if road riding is for me, which it is, so gonna ride this through the winter and then get a full carbon bike, possibly a defy advanced.

if u do upgrade anything just keep hold of the original parts so u can swap it all back and put the new upgrades on the next bike.

Your Best Friend
    Cotharyus is dead on correct. Do not upgrade your entry level bike. At the most you should just replace parts when they break but don't upgrade. It just isn't worth it. Save your money and buy the bike you want when you get enough. Oh, and buying a frame and then putting aftermarket parts on it is nearly always much more expensive. The few times it isn't is for very patient people who use ebay and other classifieds and it takes almost a year.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the inputs; i suppose it was just a newbie impulse that made me seriously think of upgrading this early. I did replace my crappy and heavy XCM fork and the uncomfortable saddle. Other than those changes i'll just wear out my bike and buy a new built one when the need arises.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2