mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Why doesn't Giant venture into the + and fat tires market?

Giant makes awesome bikes. My wife has a Stance 2, that thing is awesome, but 27.5" is too small for me (even though I'm a short guy). Since it's a FS, it has no feedback and being enduro makes it even better at downhill (we did a lot of that in NH).Why doesn't Giant venture into the + and fat tires market?-cam01503.jpgWhy doesn't Giant venture into the + and fat tires market?-cam01530.jpg

But anyway, as most of you know, the + and fat tire sizes are gaining huge market shares. Think about it, it makes sense:

+ size tires give more grip but not the effort of a fat tire.

Fatties give tons of grip for various situations such as sand, snow, mud, lose dirt, etc.

I ride a 2.1" RockHopper, it's grippy but not grippy enough, so I am in the market for a fat bike. I would consider Giant, but they don't offer fatties!!! 2.25" or 2.3" are good but not enough grip, I want the whole enchilada.

Why doesn't Giant get into the + and fat markets?

mtbr member
    they probably will end of next season. Remember it took them quite a while to release their first 29er full suspension too so be patient

mtbr member
    I don't know about "huge" market shares. It's just a new standard people don't need and additionallyfragments the already fragmented market.

Do you really need "plus" next to a wide rim and 2.4-2.5" tires?

Those wheels make bikes feel like tractors, sure they grip well and provide softer ride, but are slower and less agile.

cowbell
    Haven't you heard? The 27.5 wheel is the ultimate wheel size, all the advantages of both 26 and 29 with none of the draw backs of either! Why would Giant build anything else?

(This post was brought to you by Sarcasm. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.)

MTB B'dos
    Because, if they did that, then they'd be spitting right into all that BS marketing they put out on 650B, oh and all the effort to get everyone to call them 27.5 to try and help with that BS marketing to try and make people believe they're 1/2 between 26" and 29" when in fact they're a lot close to 26". They've taken "New Math" to a whole nother level
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    I don't know about "huge" market shares. It's just a new standard people don't need and additionallyfragments the already fragmented market.

Do you really need "plus" next to a wide rim and 2.4-2.5" tires?

Those wheels make bikes feel like tractors, sure they grip well and provide softer ride, but are slower and less agile.
    I don't NEED to mountain bike either...
    But I sure want to.

mtbr member
    All good and valid points plus Giant doesn't jump into new trends right away, they take their time to develop, prototype and eventually release a good product.

Monitor Adam Craig, he usually rides and races proto bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    they probably will end of next season. Remember it took them quite a while to release their first 29er full suspension too so be patient
    But they are pretty much phasing out 29er altogether. They really need variety.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Because, if they did that, then they'd be spitting right into all that BS marketing they put out on 650B, oh and all the effort to get everyone to call them 27.5 to try and help with that BS marketing to try and make people believe they're 1/2 between 26" and 29" when in fact they're a lot close to 26". They've taken "New Math" to a whole nother level
    I'm an engineer and don't even understand their "math" behind 27.5.